Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Mods (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Fixing the cold (or hot) shower blast (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f30/fixing-the-cold-or-hot-shower-blast-35516.html)

troutslayer 04-28-2016 07:43 AM

Fixing the cold (or hot) shower blast

Here is a video showing an easy fix for the water temperature imbalance when the RV shower is put on "pause". If you've experienced it, you know what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpnNZWdlcfc

weekendwarrior 04-29-2016 08:02 AM

Thanks, this is a great video and perfect timing. I haven't noticed this in the past, but this weekend when giving my 2 year old a shower for the first time in the RV this happened. It was the hot that was back feeding into the cold, so he got a little shot of hot water. Screamed for a solid 2 min, poor guy. That prompted me to check the water now every time I turn it on for him, but going to do this as well just to be sure.

Cdash 05-01-2016 01:23 PM

I'm less convinced that it's one water back feeding into the other. I really think it's the anti scald feature. I think when you turn off the shower head, it dribbles hot water out (at last it's hot on mine) and fills the shower hose with hot water. Then when you open up the shower head, you get a plug of hot water. I'm going to buy the shut off valve and place it between the faucet and shower hose.

troutslayer 05-01-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cdash (Post 403617)
I'm less convinced that it's one water back feeding into the other. I really think it's the anti scald feature. I think when you turn off the shower head, it dribbles hot water out (at last it's hot on mine) and fills the shower hose with hot water. Then when you open up the shower head, you get a plug of hot water. I'm going to buy the shut off valve and place it between the faucet and shower hose.

Report your findings. Would be interesting.

Edd505 05-01-2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

That is what mine does and after watching the video my first thought was 2 check valves.

spepi 05-02-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edd505 (Post 403788)
That is what mine does and after watching the video my first thought was 2 check valves.

So you think 2 check valves will make a difference?

spepi 05-02-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Is it even possible to get to the line in on the hot at the bottom of the faucet on the 29.5 BHDS? Maybe from the basement? I dont think you can reach the faucet, but the lines are possible I would think

troutslayer 05-02-2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spepi (Post 403908)
Is it even possible to get to the line in on the hot at the bottom of the faucet on the 29.5 BHDS? Maybe from the basement? I dont think you can reach the faucet, but the lines are possible I would think

On my shower, there is a box (of sorts) that the faucet is connected to. I cut the silicone caulk from around the box and removed 4 screws. the H & C water lines are connected to the faucet at the back of this box. As soon as my check valves come in, that is where I will be connecting them and then re-install and re-caulk.

norty1 05-02-2016 10:31 AM

Did the video mention a source or just locally?

RVhiker 05-02-2016 10:38 AM

After setting the water temperature and closing the valve on the shower handle, our shower would be too hot for a few seconds when the handle cut off was turned on again. I put a check valve into the cold water supply close to the shower cold water valve and the problem was solved.

My theory is that hot water migrates through the open shower valves into the cold water line. Thus when the handle valve is turned on, you briefly get a mix of hot with hot water.

That's a good video the troutslayer posted; it shows that the problem could be water too hot or water too cold when opening the handle valve, depending on which side has more pressure. Either way, a check valve on the appropriate supply should fix it.