Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Campfire Chat (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Thor Buys Jayco (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f26/thor-buys-jayco-37619.html)

FishAr 07-01-2016 09:07 AM

Thor Buys Jayco

Thor Announces Acquisition of Jayco for $576M | RV Business

bankr63 07-01-2016 09:30 AM

Looking into Thor a bit, I like their bonus program that negatively impacts employee bonuses based on the quantity of warranty work performed. Hope this makes it into Jayco division as a way to cut down on the apparent rise in quality issues.

ETA - also interesting to see how fast Wikipedia works. This is already on the Thor Industries page there.

rvrev2 07-01-2016 09:32 AM

NOOOOOO! Thor buys Jayco

Just read that Thor has bought Jayco for $576 million. Wall Street Journal article at this address: Thor Industries to Buy Jayco for $576 Million - WSJ

Jayco was the largest, family owned RV manufacturer in America (if not the world). I was saving money in order to replace my aging Jayco with a new one. Thor has not been portrayed well on these forums, so this brings me great concern.

Seems like all the good manufacturers have gone:
Nuwa (Hitchhiker)no longer manufacturing.
Excel (Peterson Industries) shut down their business.
DRV (bought out)
Teton (shut down their business)

Perhaps there is some hope:
From the article - Jayco will operate as a subsidiary of Thor, with the existing management continuing to lead the business. Derald Bontrager, Jayco’s chief executive, said one of the things the company found “most attractive” about the tie-up was Thor’s decentralized business structure.

Camper_bob 07-01-2016 09:40 AM

Is this a good thing? I dunno... I'm not generally a fan of condensing markets like this.

It seems that Thor is going to let Jayco run as it has (including upper management), so maybe any changes will be an improvement?

Grumpy 07-01-2016 09:40 AM

Could be the kids didn't want to be active in the business, so what else could mom and the boys do?

Since AIRSTREAM is one of the other THOR companies I don't think it will negatively impact JAYCO's operation.

DocBrown 07-01-2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camper_bob (Post 424056)
Is this a good thing? I dunno... I'm not generally a fan of condensing markets like this.

X2. More often than not this is not a good thing for consumers. All it's going to take is an investment fund to buy up Thor and the whole thing goes downhill. Time will tell.

FishAr 07-01-2016 09:54 AM

So right now it looks like Thor and Forest River control almost the entire RV market.

Roosevelt008 07-01-2016 09:55 AM

We are on our 2nd Jayco and after experiencing a few other brands we went back to Jayco because I thought they were better quality overall. HOWEVER, our 2nd Jayco has been relentless with petty issues that have me second guessing our decision to own Jayco...issues have been decals bubbling immediately, hot water tank issues, trim not being attached to interior walls, loose outrigger bolts and lock washers that were never tightened from factory, poor mattress quality, leaky vanity sink seal, wobbly dinette table. All of these issues were from day one of ownership. I hope Thor can correct stuff like this. Otherwise...Forest River here I come....again! This Thor thing might be a very very good thing...reconsider your 2nd Jayco purchase and shop around IMO

Crabman 07-01-2016 10:12 AM

Say it aint so.....

rkresge 07-01-2016 10:14 AM

Jayco purchased by Thor!!!

Thor acquires Jayco in $576 million deal | Business | southbendtribune.com