Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Travel Trailers (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   How to utilize the Solar plug installed by Jayco? (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/how-to-utilize-the-solar-plug-installed-by-jayco-38850.html)

bansai 08-09-2016 06:04 PM

How to utilize the Solar plug installed by Jayco?

Hi everyone,

I'm picking up my new 27BHS on Thursday and it includes a solar charging port near the hitch. I like to do as much off the grid camping as possible, but I'm starting to think that solar port is a marketing gimmick at best. Curious how or if anyone is using theirs.

Has anyone had luck using this connection with solar to do anything more than just simple trickle charging? There is basically zero documentation on this... what type of plug my solar panel would need, if there is a solar charge controller in the system somewhere (which I highly doubt), etc..

Just wondering I guess if my only option remains fishing new wires all over and installing a permanent system on the roof.

TIA,
Mark

norty1 08-09-2016 06:32 PM

Look under the Community tab and there is a Social group on solar in rv's. There is some good info there.
click: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...ith+solar.html

bansai 08-09-2016 06:42 PM

OK great :) Thanks for the tip, I'm heading over there now. I've spent the last 36 hours reading posts here back to back to back and there's an entire other section of the site to explore?!?!

Thanks again,
Mark

TommyAjax 08-09-2016 08:26 PM

I just bought a couple of 40w panels running through a 7amp controller - tried using the solar plug on the trailer and did not work (SAE plug). Attached the panels directly to the battery with alligator clips and it was charging. Probably a bad wire, or the plug wasn't a tight fit...I have a 2016 26BH.

ArcticFire 08-09-2016 09:24 PM

You should never attache a panel directly to the batteries. My old 40W panels used to generate around 19v ..... that's enough to potentially cook you batteries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyAjax (Post 436722)
I just bought a couple of 40w panels running through a 7amp controller - tried using the solar plug on the trailer and did not work (SAE plug). Attached the panels directly to the battery with alligator clips and it was charging. Probably a bad wire, or the plug wasn't a tight fit...I have a 2016 26BH.

TommyAjax 08-09-2016 09:54 PM

Sorry...to clarify it was panels through the charge controller to the batteries with the alligator clips.

BCK 08-09-2016 10:34 PM

The solar is just a prep. The other end is coiled up behind the converter in my trailer. You would have to connect a charge controller and tie it in for it to work.

dpi7800 08-09-2016 10:53 PM

My pre-wired solar is wired to the battery but does not have a charge controller wired inline. So I have a charge control that the panels plug into and then the charger plugs into the pre-wire port. I have also used the port to power other 12v accessories. So I find it kind of useful.

bansai 08-10-2016 12:06 AM

Cool

So, it's not quite as cool as I had hoped, but it's better than nothing, and usable. For the next couple months, most of my use will be just learning the new TT and primarily with at least power hookups on site with a few 'off grid' trips to break everything (in). By next spring, I'll have a laundry list of mods.

Thanks for all the replies,
Mark

A2Z_Adventures 08-10-2016 07:02 AM

Battery has been solid for 2 days out using items with the camper only. I am using a Harbor Freight trickle charger with built in controller for that will transition to winter service through the Zamp connector. Long term, our plan is to go to 200watts of panel hardwired. Those connectors seem to be fore straight up advertising. Ours is placed where you see it, not in any location where there would be a true utility.