Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Camp Cooking (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f27/)
-   -   How do you make your coffee? (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f27/how-do-you-make-your-coffee-4416.html)

PhxKim 09-14-2011 12:39 AM

How do you make your coffee?

It's not even possible for me to think about going without coffee. Not possible. I've been bringing my espresso maker camping with me over a one burner grill but it's just not enough java. Bought one of those enameled percolators and the darn thing perked coffee all over my Coleman stove last time and made a huge mess. Don't know how much water or coffee to add to it. Thought about bringing my Senseo but not sure when we'll have electricity.

I will have the stove in the camper or the outdoor sidekick grill. When you don't have electricity, how do YOU make coffee? I like it really strong and the idea of the percolator messing up my new stove gives me hives.

Would love to know what YOU do!

Thanks, Kim

norty1 09-14-2011 03:59 AM

We carry a 12 cup percolator for emergency use when out of AC. It serves a duel use as a pot to heat water on the gas range for Ice tea and such.

When on the grid, I have a drip pot mounted under the cabinet by the range.

edatlanta 09-14-2011 06:58 AM

Keurig coffee maker. I just fire up the generator long enough to perk.

Kenelz 09-14-2011 07:32 AM

I have a common stove top perk, its a small 7 cup aluminum pot, don't know the brand, but its a cheap one. It works great!

I have a large expensive 12 cup stainless that doesn't work at all. The problem is the bottom of the basket pipe is way too small and only covers a small portion of the bottom of the pot. The water boils around it and doesn't go up the tube. Just something to look for when buying one, you need the bottom to cover most of the pot bottom.

Here is the one I use, I know it needs some cleaning.

Whoops, this website won't upload a pic. It would have to be loaded to a website and a link inserted, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Seann45 09-14-2011 08:11 AM

I have a 10 cup drip perk that goes into a thermos, A 4 cup drip perk, and a 12 cup Coleman camp drip perk... OK that takes care of before lunch... :D:D

Albertaguy 09-14-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edatlanta (Post 37246)
Keurig coffee maker. I just fire up the generator long enough to perk.

X2

PhxKim 09-14-2011 09:25 AM

I think I love you all. I actually looked at a mini Keurig to buy but thought my husband would like me. He thinks I'm a kitchen gadget hoarder. But I can't live without my Vitamix! : )

For you percolator types: I don't know the ratio of water to coffee. The pot boils over and coffee goes everywhere and the grounds get into the coffee! I think I have an 8 cup pot. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Kim

PhxKim 09-14-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seann45 (Post 37256)
I have a 10 cup drip perk that goes into a thermos, A 4 cup drip perk, and a 12 cup Coleman camp drip perk... OK that takes care of before lunch... :D:D

We could be friends. Very good friends. :hihi:

PhxKim 09-14-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenelz (Post 37252)
I have a large expensive 12 cup stainless that doesn't work at all. The problem is the bottom of the basket pipe is way too small and only covers a small portion of the bottom of the pot. The water boils around it and doesn't go up the tube. Just something to look for when buying one, you need the bottom to cover most of the pot bottom.

That is a bummer. I still don't know what I will do. Except for one possible stretch on our upcoming trip, we probably won't be too far off the grid for a coffee shop run but boy there is nothing better than the smell of pine and coffee. Two of God's best gifts, IMO. ;)

I love the idea of a percolator. Love it. But those coffee grounds just ruin it for me! A generator is out of the question. DH loves his quiet. Wonder if they have a small, hand-held one for coffee pots? :hihi:

Kim

PhxKim 09-14-2011 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=norty1;37236]We carry a 12 cup percolator for emergency use when out of AC.QUOTE]

Does it ever boil over? What about the coffee grounds? Get in your coffee?

Thanks, Kim

Perhaps I should go find some directions....