Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Fulltiming and Snowbirds (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   First Freeze (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f10/first-freeze-4879.html)

edatlanta 10-30-2011 06:56 AM

First Freeze

The temp dropped to 30 here early this morning. I filled my fresh water tank last night and brought my hose and regulator in. I know they aren't likely to freeze at only 30 for an hour or two early in the morning, but why risk freezing the regulator.
I guess this means winter is almost here and I'm in central Alabama!!!!!

dg1971 10-30-2011 10:56 AM

We had our first freeze here in West Texas Thursday morning.....got down to 30 degrees I think, but back in the high 60's the next day. Didn't do any winterizing to the RV yet as I plan at least two more short trips in November but around the 20th, it will be time to put it in mothballs for what I hope is a mild, short winter.

edatlanta 10-30-2011 02:29 PM

I don't winterize at all since I fulltime, but I do operate out of my fresh water tank in the winter and pull out the hose and regulator every couple of weeks when the tank needs more water. I think this is much easier than trying to figure out how to keep a hose and regulator from freezing.

kcconawa 10-30-2011 04:42 PM

Over just east of you we were 32.6 with big frost. Winter is coming! I winterized last week as we are not full time and will be home until January 9 when we head south for a spell.

Wyotraveler 12-16-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edatlanta (Post 42040)
I don't winterize at all since I fulltime, but I do operate out of my fresh water tank in the winter and pull out the hose and regulator every couple of weeks when the tank needs more water. I think this is much easier than trying to figure out how to keep a hose and regulator from freezing.

I suspect it is hard finding heat tape in the southern states where you don't have much freezing. I wrap aluminum foil over the hose to distribute the heat, then put on the heat tape, then wrap with black tape to hold in place. You can buy shorter lengths of heat tape to tape to regulator and water filter. Seems like it would be much more convenient then trying to take short showers or saving water.

edatlanta 12-16-2011 04:18 PM

I think it is easier to do it my way, but to each his own. I don't take short showers or try to conserve water at all. I run my washer/dryer several times a week also. I just go out and hook up the water hose and fill my fresh water tank back up when needed. We don't get that many nights below freezing in a normal winter so the heat tape just doesn't make sense for me in this area.

Shin Pond Hunter 12-17-2011 04:43 AM

Ed, do you use the quick connect couplers for the water hose connections? I have tried those, and they work great in warmer climates - get somewhat brittle when it gets into the teens and below. And, 19 has been the low for us so far this winter; the heat tape I applied is working out great. Too bad I did not think of the aluminum foil before I wrapped mine though. That would be a nice extra layer of insulation...

edatlanta 12-17-2011 11:25 AM

I do use quick connects, but the brass ones. I have had no problems with them.

Shin Pond Hunter 12-17-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edatlanta (Post 46631)
I do use quick connects, but the brass ones. I have had no problems with them.

Excellent point. I used what I had (plastic suncoast brand) - I will invest in a set of brass ones ;)

edatlanta 12-17-2011 01:37 PM

I use a two stage filter at the water spigot after a pressure regulator then the hose into the Designer. In the winter time I sort of reverse the hook up sequence. I move the pressure regulator and filter into the basement. I know the pressure regulator isn't protecting the hose in this configuration, but I only leave the hose hooked up to fill the tank. When the tank is full I just turn off the water, and unhook the hose from both ends and leave it in place. After removing the quick disconnects from the hose it drains and is ready for the next fill. I do purge the hose before hooking back to the regulator for the next fill. This saves having to coil the hose up each time.