Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Fifth Wheels (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   tire pressure question (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6/tire-pressure-question-5110.html)

tinlizzie23 11-27-2011 08:59 AM

tire pressure question
We have a new-to-us 2004 Designer 29 RLTS 5er, and am curious as to what tire pressure most folks run in "normal" summertime travel. Still have the marathons, which appear to be in good shape (no cracks and plenty of tread), and sidewalls say 65psi max. Weight of 5er is around 10,000lbs.

On my several previous TTs, I generally ran 85-90% of max, and had no problems. Just wondered if 5ers were any different, since this is our first one.

dg1971 11-27-2011 09:22 AM

I think the majority of opinions or advice you will get will be to run your tires at the manufacturer recomended air pressure (what the sidewall says) and check your tire pressure while they are cold. Pressure will build during the summer while you are going down the road and the tires heat up but the tire manufactures are aware of this and that's why they stamp their recommendations on the tire. You probably won't have major damage at 85% but the tire is designed to perform best and wear longest at 100%.

dlfeather 11-27-2011 09:33 AM

You should look at the vin sticker at the left front of the trailer. It will show the tire size that the trailer came with and the recomended tire pressure. The tire pressure will be checked cold,and will increase when warm after towing.

Rustic Eagle 11-27-2011 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by dg1971 (Post 44698)
snip....... the tire is designed to perform best and wear longest at 100%.

edatlanta 11-27-2011 10:50 AM

If those tires are the originals that came from Jayco, I wouldn't town them further that my favorite tire store and only then if it was very close.

X3 on the proper pressure.

bigfoot 11-27-2011 12:37 PM

Tires on RV's seem to be only slightly less controversial than religion or politics.

My $0.02 worth...take it for what it's worth...

The best way to determine the pressure is to know the weight on each tire and then check with the tire manufacturer to see what pressure they recommend for that load. Some of them publish such charts on the internet...I know Maxxis does.

The pressures specified by the trailer manufacturer would probably be second best as long as you're running the original size tires and are within the weight specs for the trailer.

Running at the max pressure specified on the tire is probably safe but may result in abnormal wear due to over-inflation (if that pressure is higher than necessary for the load on the tire) and may also give a rougher ride for the trailer. There may also be handling issues due to a smaller contact patch if the tire is indeed over-inflated for the weight.

Traindriver 11-27-2011 01:35 PM

go to the goodyear site. it used to say " if you are going to to tow marathons at 60 mph or more, they should be 10 psi ABOVE max sidewall markings. don't know if it still says this as they couldn't give me another goodyear tire.

clutch 11-27-2011 05:44 PM

Go for the max air pressure.

yogi154 11-27-2011 08:03 PM

Tinlizze just thinking those tires are 7 yrs old. RV's rule of thumb is less than 5 yrs old replace. The wheel weight is very important I know first hand as my Designer had a tire issue. Looking at tires myself and all are not created equal as load ranges and Max laod at rated psi.

Good Luck with your choice

tinlizzie23 11-29-2011 03:35 AM

OK - thanks everyone for all the good advice. You have convinced me to go with the max pressure, and even though the tires look very good, I will examine them a bit more closely. I am not positive that these are the original tires, but they are the same brand, so that's another question mark. Am considering getting new ones next spring before the camping season, so would like some recommendations as to brand, based on experience. Really appreciate y'alls help on this.