Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   General Jayco RV Chat (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   How long to keep a Jayco? (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f18/how-long-to-keep-a-jayco-54123.html)

Riverman 02-04-2018 02:55 PM

How long to keep a Jayco?
 
Lets say everyone on this forum has a new 2018 Jayco.

How many years should we keep it before trading again?

There has to be a formula for keeping an RV, and getting the best return out of it, on a long range plan.

Ideas?

SkyBound 02-04-2018 03:06 PM

Honestly, these days, if you have a good trailer with little to no issues I would hang on to it as long as you can. Pay it off quick and enjoy no payments, do some mods, and enjoy using it. I would be nervous trading my trailer in for something unpredictable.

Riverman 02-04-2018 03:07 PM

The longer you wait, the more you owe to trade. Guess it's like owning a car or truck.

robkelly 02-04-2018 03:20 PM

We’re hoping for a minimum seven years, and hopefully a lot longer than that - we’d love to be able to keep this rig until I retire. Our first two Jaycos could have gone that long, for a variety of reasons we just didn’t give them a chance to. The Pinnacle is a keeper though

Quantum 02-04-2018 03:24 PM

We kept our last one for 7 years.

We hardly lost any value on it when we sold it (privately) since the value of RVs in Canada have gone up in the last 7 years due to the increase in the US dollar.

JFlightRisk 02-04-2018 03:25 PM

Ours is going on 6 years old this spring. We haven't found anything we like better...yet. (OK, the Prevost thing keeps popping into my mind.) If you like what you have, take tare of it, and don't acquire "two-footitist", they'll go a long time.

WinnieView 02-04-2018 03:28 PM

The Jayco is our third RV we have had for 2 years and it fits us perfectly at this time. We have had others for as long as 10 years and as short as 18 months.
We have only ever purchased used and only bought and sold with other private owners for cash.

Jagiven 02-04-2018 04:12 PM

Personally I would keep it as long as it fits your needs, and it is still in good shape. Our plan with our htt, is 10 years. At that point kids should be out the door, and on their own, and our needs will have changed. It has been paid off for years already, so any small hit to depreciation will be made up by not having payments.

lonestarrpm 02-04-2018 04:30 PM

In my case I’m in pre-retirement mode.

My daughter heads to college next year and I amateur race with Porsche Club.

I wanted something that could haul my race trailer and cater to my wife’s rolling hotel preference :-)

I considered a gen 2 Seneca, but they were all > 37’ and I have a 28’ encloses car trailer. Legal limit in most states is 65’.

So I found a 2008 Seneca at 36’ 8” :-)

As I’ll only use it a handful of times each year, I don’t see myself looking to replace it anytime soon.

If I was like looking new, I’d look at the depreciation curves and see if 3 years outstarted to level off, and is buy one that old that had the kinks sorted. Hold for a few years, and repeat.

Mike

Tunce the traveler 02-04-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBound (Post 606497)
Honestly, these days, if you have a good trailer with little to no issues I would hang on to it as long as you can. Pay it off quick and enjoy no payments, do some mods, and enjoy using it. I would be nervous trading my trailer in for something unpredictable.

X2, mine is now 8 years old and must have 40,000 +miles on it between 2 owners and the 6 states he took it to. It still looks and works like new, nothing needs repair or freshened up. For the $15K I paid for it I feel it owes me nothing for all those good times and memories for everyone involved.

o2silverado 02-04-2018 04:59 PM

Had a 1989 jay not one leak or issue sold it for a 2005 forest river . Needless to say the 05 was a total pile of junk . Could have dropped it in the Bering sea & caught crabs with it . So we just purchased our 2018 jayflight with hope it lasts longer than 12 years.

ReelCool 02-04-2018 07:56 PM

We had our first MH, a 10 yr old Hurricane for 2 years. We wanted to see if we liked camping. We traded it two years later for $1,000 less than we paid. Then we bought a 2 year old Monaco diesel pusher. We kept that 9 years and traded it in for the 2015 White Hawk (used). (The MH depreciated 50% of what we paid but we walked away with a check on the trade). We would have kept the motor home but our needs changed so it was too expensive to sit and depreciate even more. I imagine we will keep the camper for a long time. We really like the size and floor plan. We bought it used and have had no major issues - knock in wood. I would buy what you can afford for cash and keep it as long as it is reliable and safe. Trading too often is expensive. There are a lot if good deals on almost new.

Atlee 02-04-2018 09:43 PM

I'm hoping my current 2017 Jay Flight 23RB which I bought new 6/2017, is my last one. I'm 70 now. I hope this is the trailer I retire from RVing with.

I have yet to find a floor plan that suits the two of us better than our current one.

Quantum 02-04-2018 09:45 PM

I should have also said....we keep it as long as it fits our needs.

We started to out grow our x213 as the kids are getting bigger and we are doing longer trips, so we upgraded to the Whitehawk 28BHKS.

Once the kids stop coming along, we'll probably upgrade to a couples unit and maybe a 5th wheel.

The only reason for us to buy another unit is a change in family needs.

We like the unit we have, it fits our needs well. I keep it stored indoors, so no UV damage or fade.

Rafstar 02-04-2018 11:58 PM

If the RV has a gas engine, I would keep it no longer than 10 years. My experience has been that the engine starts to have a lot of problems when they get past the decade mark.

As for a diesel engine, I would keep it as long as the interior and exterior look nice. Once it starts showing age, I would trade it in.

Bob

Steinberg Enskyovich 02-08-2018 09:21 PM

Riverman, I have a 2002 Designer 31 FKS (new at purchase). 16 years is a long time. Had one problem with it right off the batt, shore power cord had the one hot wired to ground. As i have found the longer and more frequent use the higher chances of equipment failure. I've been fortunate so far. Meticulous care and pampering have been a plus. Other than normal road dings and a few branch brush marks all has held up extremely well on this TT. A few visits to the dealer always help as they remember your unit and make note to notice the upkeep on the TT. No reason why you couldn't get as many years as I have and still get a decent trade. We used it almost every weekend since we have had it.

I have a 330 RSTS on order and have to say I am leary that the quality may not be that of the Designer series. However, all the reviews here have indicated this new TT is all it is promoted to be.

Happy camping and be safe.

koko 02-09-2018 11:47 AM

Don't know about Jayco, but we owned our Shasta for 22 years. It had no leaks, perfect plumbing, perfect appliances - we had purchased it used. We kept it in great shape with light maintenance through the years (and we had 4 children camping in it with us). As long as it worked for our needs we kept it. Trailers depreciate so quickly that it's not worth trading in something that's good just because it's a few years old. We lost thousands of dollars not buying the right fit in the first place and trading too soon.

wags999 02-09-2018 12:00 PM

No one knows what the economy will doing in 2 years let alone longer out than that. Nor do we know where fuel will be down the road. Demand has as much to do with value as the actual condition of the RV.

I think you can only ascertain the value in real time.

I've seen one year old RVs the looked like they went through a war, and I've seen 40 year old Rv's that were in showroom condition.

Selling something you know for something you don't know trying to save a few thousand, doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

Good Luck.

vcbice 02-12-2018 08:25 AM

We keep our RVs as long as we need them.

Think about what you look for when shopping. Me? I look for ones that are around 5yrs old and no sign of water damage. That seems to be when the prices drop a lot. They drop a lot again at the 10yr point. For MH's there is also a mileage factor. On gas engines the first hit is at 50k miles, then at 100k miles. On pusher diesels they do not drop much with mileage. Diesel class C drop at about 100k miles.

DonaandDon 02-12-2018 10:11 AM

I've read the norm is 8-10yrs. Depends on the model, mileage, and of course road conditions. We kept ours 8 years, had 50k miles on it, but were full timers. If that's matters. If you owe on your trade and the dealer knows it then you have to be willing to walk away from the deal. Trade are notoriously under marketed. I liken it to a pawn show, you get 50% net worth. The real deal is what's sitting and for how long its been sitting on their lot.

gypsmjim 02-12-2018 08:01 PM

Yeah, 8 years is the norm because that's how Americans are - we tire of things easily.

We bought our first trailer when it was 24 years old. We used it for another 26 years. On her 50th birthday we bought a new Jayco.

We own our own campsite, so we are not usual RVers. Our old camper was merely moved up the hill a little bit and she's now our guest house.

I'm sure they aren't built as good today as they used to be, but no reason they can't last a real long time with proper maintenance.

The only reason we upgraded was because we retired, spend more time camping now, and just thought we deserved to have air conditioning, a shower and all the other modern amenities.

Atlee 02-12-2018 10:01 PM

1) Until it no longer meets your needs. 2) Until it wears out. 3) Until you tire of RVing.

tcanthonyii 02-12-2018 10:14 PM

Me personally. I hold on to things until they cost too much to maintain or it no longer fits my needs. Cars, trucks, quads, motorcycles etc. I do all my own work. We only upgraded from the pop up to the hybrid because my wife wanted a bathroom. And really our needs changed also. For what we use the camper for we really needed something else. I donít get the trading in every x years etc. to each their own. Itís just not for me. If I bought a new one Iíd likely have it 20 years.

Jday7757 02-13-2018 08:15 AM

We had our first motorhome, a Jayco Melbourne for 9 years before trading it in on a 2017 Precept 31UL. Nothing wrong with the Melbourne; we simply outgrew it. One thing to consider if you are planning on trading in your old motorhome. We had heard and our dealer verified it that many/most dealers wonít take a motorhome older than 10 years old as a trade-in. He said itís because they have a hard time reselling them because banks normally wonít finance ones older than 10 years. I donít know how widespread that is, but something to consider if you are looking to trade in.

jloco 02-13-2018 08:15 AM

My last rig was 10 years old. We'll be starting our 3rd season this year with our 2016. I plan on keeping it for 8-10 years.
Being on a seasonal site, the rig only has 700 miles from factory to dealer, then another 130 from dealer to seasonal site. It should see no more miles while I own it.
So without all the twisting and flexing caused by road wear, I expect my current rig to be in good shape in 8-10 years. God willing!

norty1 02-13-2018 08:31 AM

Until it is worn out or no longer meets your needs.

CampNow 02-15-2018 03:13 PM

If the RV industry had quality control more akin to the automotive world, a decision to purchase a new unit based on just depreciation, wear and tear, or simple want of change, would be a more matter-of-fact, black & white process.

Although we've been relatively lucky, I've witnessed acquaintances and friends (some who have RV'd for decades) suffer through significant stress because of high-problem RV units.

Sometimes it's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security when you're current RV has served you well.

My two cents . . .

Midnightmoon 02-15-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norty1 (Post 609228)
Until it is worn out or no longer meets your needs.

This is good advice when it comes to many things.

ALJO 02-15-2018 03:21 PM

The materialistic way is trade every year and put up with the mfg. defects for warranty.
I'm with Norty1, I keep it as longs as possible, but maintain it well.

Midnightmoon 02-15-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALJO (Post 609797)
The materialistic way is trade every year and put up with the mfg. defects for warranty.
I'm with Norty1, I keep it as longs as possible, but maintain it well.

As I said above, I think this is the correct approach. However, manufacturers don't necessarily want us to take it. It just took me almost 6 weeks to source a part for my 11 year old truck that is unavailable from the manufacturer and on national back order in the aftermarket. Planned Obsolescence.

gypsmjim 02-15-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampNow (Post 609793)
If the RV industry had quality control more akin to the automotive world, a decision to purchase a new unit based on just depreciation, wear and tear, or simple want of change, would be a more matter-of-fact, black & white process.

The auto world was complacent for a time, but then the Oriental World improved and eventually came up with a better (perceived) product, so the Consumer switched. The US AutoMakers $%#@! in their pants and made improvements to try to get their market share back.

The US RV industry is sold out and the foolish Consumer still buys their crap. So, why should they change? When they loose enough business they will get better.

The only solution is for us to fix the old campers and be satisfied with what we have.

Of course it may just take care of itself. The Millennials don't like motorcycles and are killing Harley-Davidson. I don't think they are big on camping so maybe it will go that route too.

Kim Gass 02-15-2018 05:58 PM

Ours owes us nothing. 43000 miles and 200 nights camping. Soon to be 240 nights
We paid 14 grand. We think we got our money worth
Itís four days out of warranty
Sure itís an ultra lite built with the strength of paper but itís served us well
If we got five grand all would be wonderful. If we got zero fine
Everything works well

Parcany 02-17-2018 08:50 PM

If we sold our bungalow before the travel trailer we would have kept the travel trailer for a long long time. We both liked it and it served us well. But we were not going to keep the bungalow, travel trailer and the house. The bungalow is going to Pinetop Az in about 6 weeks to be our summer home. . So we got the best of all worlds for us anyways.

rodro123 02-18-2018 07:28 AM

Everything will start to go after 6 years. Roof will dry rot, tires dry rot, air conditioner will need recharge. Everything is outdated. Price of the unit drops under 60% of new at age 7. If you took out a ten year loan and over paid the loan each year your paid off at age 6. The top of the line eagle and above are like staying in a 4 to 5 star hotel. 210 nights over 6 years if we had paid $300 night that would have been $63,000 but we spent $5100 in camping fee's $25,000 less then we paid for the eagle that's less then 1/2 the price but we never even when into the savings on cooking our own food not eating out. Or the priceless beauty we have seen all over the USA.

KennyG 02-18-2018 11:01 PM

IMO: Don't know of anyone that can actually determine "how long to keep an RV or how long they'll last"! There are a lot of older RV's on the road in better shape than some newer ones. It's obvious they are treated with TLC and maintained well. All RVs require a certain amount of TLC and of course preventative maintenance. The more, the better! A well maintained RV will last a very long time and when it's actually paid for, is a lot cheaper to maintain than to have to pay the "mortgage" on a new one. By the way even new ones with a mortgage and warranty need to have TLC. It's up to the owner on how well the RV is maintained and that will determine how long it'll look good and last. Same applies to everything, cars, trucks, boats, houses, etc., etc. Take care of something and it'll last! Just my 2Ę ;)

rodro123 02-19-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KennyG (Post 610858)
IMO: Don't know of anyone that can actually determine "how long to keep an RV or how long they'll last"! There are a lot of older RV's on the road in better shape than some newer ones. It's obvious they are treated with TLC and maintained well. All RVs require a certain amount of TLC and of course preventative maintenance. The more, the better! A well maintained RV will last a very long time and when it's actually paid for, is a lot cheaper to maintain than to have to pay the "mortgage" on a new one. By the way even new ones with a mortgage and warranty need to have TLC. It's up to the owner on how well the RV is maintained and that will determine how long it'll look good and last. Same applies to everything, cars, trucks, boats, houses, etc., etc. Take care of something and it'll last! Just my 2Ę ;)

Kenny I see your from Canada. The sun is more damaging out west the roof and tires go first. That's why so many resort campgrounds have built garages for RV's. Yearly maintained is very important like calking every year tighten loose bolts and nuts and tighten plumbing but price out roof replacement at 30% of your entire RV. I like not dealing with that stuff so I just buy a new one. Don't forget a lot of campgrounds don't allow RV's over 10 years old to stay at all.

gypsmjim 02-19-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodro123 (Post 610609)
Everything will start to go after 6 years. Roof will dry rot, tires dry rot, air conditioner will need recharge. Everything is outdated.

I thought that current roof membranes were supposed to last 20 years or more if maintained properly. Where do you have to live to make them fail in only 6 years? Our old tincan with a metal roof is still serviceable after 54 years!

Yeah the old girl is outdated. No electrical system and everything runs on propane. All the appliances and lights also still work after 54 years! The only reason we upgraded was because we WANTED a new one and had some extra money. We certainly didn't NEED one.

I have a window mount AC in my house bedroom (just like my Jayco) and its 30+ years old and its never needed service.

Tires are only safe up to 3 years, but that's another story.

Sounds like you are just anxious to buy a new toy.

ALJO 02-19-2018 11:52 AM

Nowadays we oversell the life time of the materials produced........just to make a sale to satisfy the corporate shareholders. Well at least some of the sale goes back to society al is it almost nothing. A "pyramid" is strong when the biggest surface support on the bottom, you turn the pyramid around and it crumbles.

KennyG 02-19-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodro123 (Post 610893)
Kenny I see your from Canada. The sun is more damaging out west the roof and tires go first. That's why so many resort campgrounds have built garages for RV's.

Yes I`m from Canada and proud to say that, about an hour from the Can-US border and I see you are from the northern state of Wisconsin. Much of the same weather, Hot Summers and cold winters. RVs here may not get as much sun as southern states; but the snow and ice on a roof can be even more damaging if not dealt with. I have a cover for mine. Not sure what your point was as a comparison. My point was I don`t let things get out of hand. TLC and preventative maintenance are the key and roofs also can be easily maintained. If someone chooses to buy a new RV every 5 or 6 years because they don`t want to take good care of the one they have, that`s their choice. As for campgrounds having a 10 year old policy, any RV that is very well kept and well maintained will not be turned away. As I said in my other post a lot of older RVs on the road look better than some that are only 4 or 5 years old. It`s quite easy to spot an RV that gets TLC and one that doesn`t.
Not trying to get into a pissing match; but IMO I don`t believe there is an actual time limit of any RV that has been well looked after. Some people just prefer to keep buying new. Others choose to take care of their things so they will look good and last a while! Just my 2Ę :cool:

REWahoo 02-20-2018 09:04 AM

How long to keep a Jayco?

That's easy to answer - until you can't resist the itch to buy a new one!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.