Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Travel Trailers (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Precautions to take to stay hooked to TV overnight (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/precautions-to-take-to-stay-hooked-to-tv-overnight-6249.html)

grantsoo 03-19-2012 12:55 PM

Precautions to take to stay hooked to TV overnight

If I just stop somewhere for the night, can I leave the TV connected? I understand that I would need to disconnect the power supply from the TV, but are there any other things I should do?

Thanks
Grant

norty1 03-19-2012 01:03 PM

If I am level, I lower my front legs a little for support, then lower the rear stabilizers. Disconnect the trailer light cable. WH on gas if needed. We always carry enough water for flushing and even an emer. shower.

Reverse it in the am.

Crackshot 03-19-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norty1 (Post 66763)
If I am level, I lower my front legs a little for support, then lower the rear stabilizers. Disconnect the trailer light cable. WH on gas if needed. We always carry enough water for flushing and even an emer. shower.

Reverse it in the am.

X2

I stay connected to our TV a couple days at a time the way norty does it.

grantsoo 03-19-2012 01:35 PM

If I'm not level front to back, can I jack up the tongue jack a bit while connected?

82corvette 03-19-2012 03:40 PM

I jack up the front if need be, it has never hurt anything

Quahog 03-19-2012 03:48 PM

I don't see why it would hurt anything... like 82corvette said.

Crabman 03-19-2012 04:00 PM

I asked this question once on RVnet about leaving my TV hooked up all weekend at a campground, if it would hurt the WD system or anything. The consensus was it will not hurt anything and folks do it all the time. There was one answer that got me thinking though. He said just remember if you are hooked up, chocked, plugged in, and have an emergency during the middle of the night you cannot just jump in your TV and go! He said there was a tornado warning in the CG and being hooked up they had to make a run for it (on foot) to the shelter through the pouring rain which was not all that close by..
Probably never happen but it did make me think about a medical emergency or something and it would take a few minutes to unhook..........
Of course if you are just stopping for the night and not chocked or plugged in or anything you could just get in the TV and drive away with the trailer.

clutch 03-19-2012 07:20 PM

The only time we unhook the trailer is if we need to use the truck.

drfife 03-19-2012 07:51 PM

It does not hurt the tow vehicle, trailer or hitch to remain connected.

I routinely unhook, even if just overnighting. Mainly to have access to using the tow vehicle in case of emergency. I can hitch up in less than 5 minutes. That will not crimp any trip I'm on.

Plus, I prefer to fuel without the trailer if possible.

Chakara 03-19-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drfife (Post 66852)
It does not hurt the tow vehicle, trailer or hitch to remain connected.

I routinely unhook, even if just overnighting. Mainly to have access to using the tow vehicle in case of emergency. I can hitch up in less than 5 minutes. That will not crimp any trip I'm on.

Plus, I prefer to fuel without the trailer if possible.

But - in the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse, when you bug out of the campground you'll be leaving your house behind!

LOL

-Chak