Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

Weighed my 2013 Ram today....

Decided to hit the Cat scale before going to the dealer to (hopefully) pick out our camper.....I was so shocked at what the CAT scale said, we came home from the RV dealer with nothing! 2013 Ram Laramie Crew Cab 4x4. Me, wife, and 2 year old and 6 year old sons.....6380lbs....3580 steer and 2800 drive!!!! Seeing as how the truck only has a GVW of 6800lbs, apparently I cant tow anything larger than a lawn mower trailer

I was so flustered by these weights (I thought it would be much, much lower), I obviously couldnt pull the trigger on the 2014 whitehawk 28dsbh we wanted. As such, we started looking at bigger trailers and fifth wheels (which seem to be much more solidly built). Looks like we will be selling our Ram and going with a 3/4 ton diesel. It guess it goes to show how important it is to hit a scale....and I doubt I will buy another RAM truck again (love the truck, but it is obviously grossly overweight coupled with a horribly low payload capacity)
Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #2

It's ironic that you used the" lawnmower" as an example for so little payload available. A few months ago someone posted the same complaint "SOME ADVISE FOR A NEWBIE" about there Ram 1500. As it turned out he bought it used and didn't know the previous owner left four bags of sand in the bed for winter driving. He also thought he wouldn't be able to carry more than a" lawnmower". I hope it's just an error somewhere.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #3

No errors I'm afraid. I had at most 40lbs in the bed and the family in the truck. Nothing else. Sad state of affairs.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #4

Heard a simular story from an F150 owner recently. Trucks are so loaded these days they are getting seriously heavy and base gross weights aren't keeping up.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #5

Ouch! My 2500 came in at 6460 lbs with all our stuff in it, just 80 lbs more.......
Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Very smart of you to do your CAT scale weights before you got into a TT that you couldn't safely tow.
I know it has to be aggrevating, but a much better place to be knowing you numbers.

After taking a delay to regroup, I am sure you will end up with a set up you will be much happier with.

Great job protecting your family and doing your homework.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Decided to hit the Cat scale before going to the dealer to (hopefully) pick out our camper.....I was so shocked at what the CAT scale said, we came home from the RV dealer with nothing! 2013 Ram Laramie Crew Cab 4x4. Me, wife, and 2 year old and 6 year old sons.....6380lbs....3580 steer and 2800 drive!!!! Seeing as how the truck only has a GVW of 6800lbs, apparently I cant tow anything larger than a lawn mower trailer

I was so flustered by these weights (I thought it would be much, much lower), I obviously couldnt pull the trigger on the 2014 whitehawk 28dsbh we wanted. As such, we started looking at bigger trailers and fifth wheels (which seem to be much more solidly built). Looks like we will be selling our Ram and going with a 3/4 ton diesel. It guess it goes to show how important it is to hit a scale....and I doubt I will buy another RAM truck again (love the truck, but it is obviously grossly overweight coupled with a horribly low payload capacity)
Shouldn't you be looking at the GCWR rather than the GVWR?
Answer: Yes

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
I am no expert, but I agree with this........do those weights not mean that you have around 500lb's of payload weight that you can put in the box (in front of the axle so not to add to the tongue weight) and depending on the axle you have in the truck somewhere from say 7-9000lbs to hit the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating - Truck & Trailer) which is at a max of around 16,000lb depending on model and options.

I have a 2012, GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - Total weight of Truck with options, passengers and payload) is 6350lbs, with 14,000lb GVWR which means 8000lbs of trailer capacity. This chart is one of the lowest I have seen, the dodge website says I can have up to 10,050lbs with my setup.

I have attached a file showing the information.

Also check this out:

http://www.propickupmag.com/files/20...ide-Sheet1.pdf

I could not attach this file for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Dodge RAM towing table.jpg  
Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #9

check this other attached file out that I took from the RAM website...........remember I would not take these values as gospel, just a guide...........and you 100% did the right thing in getting weighed at the CAT scale.
Attached Thumbnails
RAM website screen shot.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #10

OK, perhaps I am a bit confused then. I weighed in (full of fuel, with entire family and a few small things in the bed) at 6380..by the way, RAM specs show my laramie to be about 5555lbs...I only have a soft tonneau cover on it along with step bars...nothing else add. The trucks GVWR is 6800. Do I not only have 420lbs of payload left? Doesn't the tongue weight of any trailer add to my payload? My axles are rated at 3800lbs each (which I dont understand as both axles added together would be 7600, yet GVWR is 6800....).

My CGVWR is 14k according to Ram...I understand taking 14k - 6380 = 7620lbs left for trailer weight, but a loaded, ready to camp trailer weighing in at say 7000lbs (which is what I would guess a 28dsbh to come in at for us) = 910 - 1050lbs of tongue weight...if my payload is over by that much, it really doesnt matter if I am ok on the GCVWR does it? Or am I missing something obvious????
Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=gtsum2;150861]OK, perhaps I am a bit confused then. I weighed in (full of fuel, with entire family and a few small things in the bed) at 6380..by the way, RAM specs show my laramie to be about 5555lbs...I only have a soft tonneau cover on it along with step bars...nothing else add. The trucks GVWR is 6800. Do I not only have 420lbs of payload left? Doesn't the tongue weight of any trailer add to my payload? My axles are rated at 3800lbs each (which I dont understand as both axles added together would be 7600, yet GVWR is 6800....).

It's my opinion that you have your numbers correct. You only have 420 lbs of payload left for tongue weight.

I usually use a rule of thumb that I only pull about 75% - 80% of my TV rating for added safety.

JMHO,
Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #12

Maybe wait until Bob checks in here...........but I'll give you what I think is my understanding.

The weight that RAM gives you is vague, does not include options such as sunroof.......anything that is added in as an option after the base model. So in your case my understanding is that the step bars for instance would not be considered in the Laramie weight as it is an "option" and not standard on the model. Same would go for a sunroof. The GVWR that comes on the spec sheet makes it look like you have a great deal of payload, but does not include passengers, etc. The axle ratings, and I am not 100% on this would be the rating for each axle not the total that both can take at the same time. So you could in theory have have 3800lbs on the rear and the max the front could take would be the GVWR minus the 3800lbs on the rear.
if you put
There are so many different GCWR out there, I have seen as little as 14,000lbs for my RAM Sport with 3.92 axle, and as much as 16,500lbs (that was on Dodge Canada and meant the max trailer was 10,050lbs) In terms of tongue weight, I read the last post and I am not 100% sure about that.

Also, I have attached the tow specs for the 2013 RAM for the Laramie direct from the RAMTrucks website, as well the link 28dsbh. It shows the dry weight being 5,700lbs with a max of 7,500lbs. So judging by that it could be easy to say that you could stay within the safe limits if you budget what you take luggage wise and drive with empty tanks.

Just my two cents.

http://www.generalrv.com/inventory/2...wk-28DSBH.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #13

I did notice a big difference online between the 2012's and the 2013's and I just wonder how much heavier the new 8 speed transmission is.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
OK, perhaps I am a bit confused then. I weighed in (full of fuel, with entire family and a few small things in the bed) at 6380..by the way, RAM specs show my laramie to be about 5555lbs...I only have a soft tonneau cover on it along with step bars...nothing else add. The trucks GVWR is 6800. Do I not only have 420lbs of payload left? Doesn't the tongue weight of any trailer add to my payload? My axles are rated at 3800lbs each (which I dont understand as both axles added together would be 7600, yet GVWR is 6800....).

My CGVWR is 14k according to Ram...I understand taking 14k - 6380 = 7620lbs left for trailer weight, but a loaded, ready to camp trailer weighing in at say 7000lbs (which is what I would guess a 28dsbh to come in at for us) = 910 - 1050lbs of tongue weight...if my payload is over by that much, it really doesnt matter if I am ok on the GCVWR does it? Or am I missing something obvious????
You are 100% correct in your calculation.

You certainly have a nice truck however Dodge, maybe more than the other guys, really has built their 1/2 tons for the majority of folks who don't use their truck as a truck. It's for the guy who wants to make the occasional trip to the hardware store or garden center...it's not for guy who really needs the hauling/towing capacity.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #15

[QUOTE=dougtoms01;150868]
Quote:

It's my opinion that you have your numbers correct. You only have 420 lbs of payload left for tongue weight.

I usually use a rule of thumb that I only pull about 75% - 80% of my TV rating for added safety.

JMHO,
Best regards,
Doug
That is what I was thinking too. I dont want to get real close to the limits as we will be camping in the mountains of west va/va...not the rockies certainly, but nevertheless, there are some good grades to traverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillian View Post
Maybe wait until Bob checks in here...........but I'll give you what I think is my understanding.

The weight that RAM gives you is vague, does not include options such as sunroof.......anything that is added in as an option after the base model. So in your case my understanding is that the step bars for instance would not be considered in the Laramie weight as it is an "option" and not standard on the model. Same would go for a sunroof. The GVWR that comes on the spec sheet makes it look like you have a great deal of payload, but does not include passengers, etc. The axle ratings, and I am not 100% on this would be the rating for each axle not the total that both can take at the same time. So you could in theory have have 3800lbs on the rear and the max the front could take would be the GVWR minus the 3800lbs on the rear.
if you put
There are so many different GCWR out there, I have seen as little as 14,000lbs for my RAM Sport with 3.92 axle, and as much as 16,500lbs (that was on Dodge Canada and meant the max trailer was 10,050lbs) In terms of tongue weight, I read the last post and I am not 100% sure about that.

Also, I have attached the tow specs for the 2013 RAM for the Laramie direct from the RAMTrucks website, as well the link 28dsbh. It shows the dry weight being 5,700lbs with a max of 7,500lbs. So judging by that it could be easy to say that you could stay within the safe limits if you budget what you take luggage wise and drive with empty tanks.

Just my two cents.

http://www.generalrv.com/inventory/2...wk-28DSBH.aspx
I think you are right..the sunroof and steps certainly add to the weight that would not likely be reflected on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillian View Post
I did notice a big difference online between the 2012's and the 2013's and I just wonder how much heavier the new 8 speed transmission is.
my 2013 has the 6 speed tranny, so should be no difference in my situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
You are 100% correct in your calculation.

You certainly have a nice truck however Dodge, maybe more than the other guys, really has built their 1/2 tons for the majority of folks who don't use their truck as a truck. It's for the guy who wants to make the occasional trip to the hardware store or garden center...it's not for guy who really needs the hauling/towing capacity.
This is what I am thinking also. When I bought it in March, it was done quickly..I wanted a new ride, and needed something to pull atv's to west va...I did not think it through with regards to camping, etc. We have 2 small boys and would like a bunkhouse model, so our options are limited (for what we want). I even noticed on the 3/4 ton specs...dodge's 3/4 ton trucks have far, far lower payload capacity than f250's (like 1000lbs less). I looked at the wife's minivan today..her sticker payload capacity is 300lbs MORE than the sticker on my truck!!???!!!!?? Looked at the neigbor's Honda Pilot also....it is 250lbs MORE than my truck!!!!????!?!?! It is my fault for not knowing this before I bought it, but it seems to be sham...Ram trucks can tow 10000lbs (8600 is my rating with the 3.55 gears).....I guess you need a boat or flat trailer with minimal tongue weight, because they certainly dont seem to be able to handle much payload

After looking at other trailers and fifth wheels, I gotta say the fifth wheels are looking better and better...they seem to be much more solidly built...more roomy, nicer all around..of course the price is higher as well as the weight, but if I need to get a different truck anyways (if my numbers above are indeed correct), then I just as well look at fifth's too.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
Respectfully and unfortunately I have to disagree..., one's specified TV GVWR always trumps GCWR, but that's not to say that GCWR should be ignored. In other words, one can't borrow weight from the GCWR to increase a TV's specified GVWR (ie; TV brakes, etc., designed to handle up to the GVWR).

The published Tow Ratings and Payload Capacities are based on the Curb Weight of the base vehicle model in question..., which means it included only a 150lb driver and all fluids full (including fuel). So the combined weights of the vehicle's options, passengers, and cargo must be subtracted from the published Tow Ratings and Payload Capacities. With some vehicles going with 20" rims/tires can also reduce up to 500lbs from published Tow Ratings/Payload Capacities.

Curb Weight & Tow Ratings: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

Member "gtsum2" is correct, his TV has only 420lbs remaining for the weight of the WDH, the TT's loaded tongue weight, or any other TV weight not accounted for at the time of the CAT scale weigh-in.

As a side note..., when a WDH is adjusted correctly it will transfer some weight (approximately 10%-20% of the loaded tongue weight value) back to the TT axles, thus reducing the impact against a TV's GVWR......., not enough to help "gtsum2".

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip......Do I not only have 420lbs of payload left? Doesn't the tongue weight of any trailer add to my payload? My axles are rated at 3800lbs each (which I dont understand as both axles added together would be 7600, yet GVWR is 6800....).....snip
Your correct, only 420lbs of payload capacity remaining. The TT's loaded tongue weight is "subtracted" from a TV's payload (remaining) capacity.

TV F/R axle weight limits can be looked at independent from each other.., meaning that one axle can weigh up to it's specified limit but the actual "combined" F/R axle weights can't exceed the TV's GVWR.

Quote:
snip...... it really doesnt matter if I am ok on the GCVWR does it? Or am I missing something obvious????
Unfortunately GVWR trumps GCVWR..., reference my prior post.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #18

Thank you folks for the verification of my numbers. I was shocked to put it bluntly...I mean, the numbers are not even close. Clubhouse hit it on the head above...apparently Ram 1/2 ton trucks are grocery getters and hardware store runners. This will be an expensive lesson (trading in a new truck with 8k miles on it), but I would rather take the hit and move to a 3/4 ton diesel and a fiver (or larger trailer). I am not too impressed with Ram 3/4 ton numbers either....looks like F250 King Ranch it might be (love the duramax, but interior just doesnt do much for me, and this is my daily driver, so I have to be comfy!)

Rustic Eagle - thank you for the clarification. I have seen you posting here helping others before and was hoping you might chime in
Old 09-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Curious - did you take more than one weigh?.....and if so, did you measure the entire weight of the TV on a single scale?
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
Curious - did you take more than one weigh?.....and if so, did you measure the entire weight of the TV on a single scale?
no, only did one weigh. I had the axles on separate pads. The weight was so high, I actually thought about weighing it again, but at the same time I was so disgusted with the readout, I just wanted to leave