Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

A Newby Scratches His Head on Travel Trailer Choice

I have been investigating, with the help of the good folks on this forum, whether or not to get a new travel trailer. I have looked and researched and determined which floorplan is desirable and have come to the following as the list of possibilities:

Eagle Travel Trailer 28BHBE
Jayflight Travel Trailer 28BHBE
Whitehawk Travel Trailer 28DSBH
Whitehawk Travel Trailer 33BHBS
Octane ZX Toy Hauler T29A

I do not see the following available on the Octane ZX toy hauler: no second AC option, no 50-amp option, and no ClimateShield/cold insulation package. The refrigerator seems smaller (i.e., NOT 8 cubic foot), and you have to walk through the trailer to get to the bathroom. I like the following: welded aluminum wall framing members, welded aluminum floor joists, queen bunk beds in the cargo area, availability of at least a 15K BTU A/C, the optional generator and plumbing of fuel tank for the generator, the optional security line, and the large freshwater capacity. This trailer seems to be really ready for boondocking, and the cargo area appears like it would allow you to take “stuff” with you more easily. I don’t have motorized “toys”, but I think I could devise a way to carry bicycles, kayaks, and scuba gear in the space well.

I like the three 28BH floorplans (Whitehawk, Jayflight, and Eagle) because the bunks are big enough for my growing sons, there is an entry door into the bathroom directly, they have the 50 amp and second A/C options, and they have the cold insulation package options or the ClimateShield. I prefer the Jayflight and Eagle over the Whitehawk due to the larger shower, larger propane tanks, larger freshwater capacity, and greater cargo carrying capacity.

My wife and sons think the Whitehawk 33BHS is good because of the very large bunk beds in front and outside kitchen option.

If the Octane ZX had the 50 amp/second AC, cold insulation package, and 8 cubic foot refrigerator then I think I would be done looking.

I can’t tell from the website if there is any difference between the Eagle ClimateShield approach and the Jayflight cold insulation package option. They look like they are doing the same thing to me. If that is, in fact, the case, then I would prefer the Jayflight. I have read a lot of opinions, and it seems to me that while “stick and tin” construction demands extra vigilance on the part of the owner regarding maintenance and the prevention of water leaks, I like the look of the traditional aluminum skin and I’ll gladly save the six or seven thousand dollars more that the Eagle costs. If there really is some difference in the ClimateShield or other construction on the Eagle that makes it superior then I would go the way of the Eagle.

I don’t think I would go with the Whitehawk 33BHDS because of the higher cost and smaller fresh water and cargo capacity.

So, I wonder if anyone knows the following to help this newby:

Is there some reason the cold insulation package and 50 amp/second A/C options are unavailable on the Octane ZX? Would Jayco adds those if I asked them to?

Is there some difference between the Eagle ClimateShield and the Jaylflight with the cold insulation package option?

Is there some reason to prefer the Eagle over the Jayflight? Looks to me like aluminum skin versus fiberglass skin and welded aluminum wall framing members versus wood. I note that floor and roof construction appears to be the same in the Jayflight and Eagle. I.e., it looks like it comes down to personal preference is all. Am I missing something here?
Right now I think I’ll go with the Jayflight.

Thanks much!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #2

I can tell you we have the whitehawk 28DSBH and would love to upgrade already to the 33BHBS but due to our tow vehicle, i think that would push us past our limits. We love our Trailer but I can also tell you the 28DSBH does not have the 50amp option or the 2nd AC. We did however upgrade to the climate shield and 15K AC. Good luck with your decision.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #3

I just purchased the 28DSBH and had also looked at the Jayflight 28BHBE. It was a tough decision but what steered me to the Whitehawk is the overall weight was around 1000 lbs less than the Jayflight. Weight for me was an issue but seeing that you have a 3/4 ton it shouldn't be a factor with the TT's your looking at. Your decision will have to be deciding on Fibreglass or Aluminum and comparing the quality of fixtures and materials between the two.
Good luck and either way I think you'll have made a great decision.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #4

I just purchased my 28 BHBE last October. The living space is great. The full size bunks are awesome for kids (and there's a built in ladder, curiously omitted in a lot of bunkhouse models). The shower is AWESOME. We shower every day when we're out, so the size of the shower was a big selling point for us. Fresh water capacity is quite large (86 gallons) and propane capacity is large as well (2 x 30lb tanks). However, waste tanks are relatively small, namely the grey tank; every day showers put us in some kind of spot with that small tank, I empty it every night. Mine has 50 amp service (2nd AC available but not installed), but the underbelly is not enclosed (not really needed in Texas, though you wouldn't think it this winter...)

One thing I don't like about our trailer is that there is somewhat a lack of outside storage. It doesn't seem like it at first, but when you start putting your toys in, you'll notice. The pass-thru at the front is nice, but you don't want to load up the tongue too much. The only other outside storage is at the rear near the utilities, and while the actual space is quite cavernous, the door is too small to get much in there. It is accessible from the inside, and that helps a little. Bottom line, there's not a ton of space for a lot of toys.

One other difference between the Flights and the White Hawks is the inside ceiling height. You'll notice the Jay Flight is taller inside which is kind of nice.

Beyond those few things, it comes down to what fits your style and needs better. And I wouldn't worry about fiberglass vs. stick-and-tin, the floor plan is MUCH more important than this...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #5

Thanks guys - appreciate the insight.

Shower size and interior height is a big deal for me.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #6

Don't forget about the Jay Flight Swift 287BHBE. Seems like a value based option compared to the 28BHBE and White Hawk.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw156 View Post
Don't forget about the Jay Flight Swift 287BHBE. Seems like a value based option compared to the 28BHBE and White Hawk.
AND it is a bit lighter. We came very close to getting the Swift, it's a good trailer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

It looks to me like the difference between the Swift and the Jayflight are capacity: less CCC, smaller fresh water tank, smaller propane bottles, ....
Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
It looks to me like the difference between the Swift and the Jayflight are capacity: less CCC, smaller fresh water tank, smaller propane bottles, ....
Also there are a less standard features, and less available options on the Swift series.
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Also there are a less standard features, and less available options on the Swift series.
We just oedered a Jay Flight 28BHBE after first looking at the same model Swift. So I happen to have a list of the differences that mattered to us. I'll give the differences from an upgrade to Jay Flight perspective: two more windows in the slide, curtains in front of bunks, porcelain toilet, glass shower stall doors instead of curtain, able to upgrade to hide-a-bed, better mattress, sewer tank wash out, TV hook up near door, metal kitchen faucet, able to upgrade from steel wheels, larger propane tanks, able to add roof ladder, outlet in bunk area, able to order thermal insualtion package, tinted windows, large fold away door handle, choice of decor colors/pattern. I believe that either floor or roof plywood (maybe both) were heavier duty. Also, unless things have changed, we could get a larger fridge (8 cu ft instead of 6.3).

Some things were trivial and others were important to us. Cost difference seemed to be between $2,000 and $3,000. Obviously worth it to us... Also, there are other differences I did not list, LED lights under the awning comes to mind...
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #11

When you step into the RIGHT trailer you will know it. That would be the one for you.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #12

Any decisions yet?

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #13

I am torn the 284BHBE Eagle, the 28BHBE Jayflight, and the Octane ZX T29A. Can see pros and cons of each. Still scratching the head. Went to open house at local dealer on Sunday - want all three. That is not going to work, and so will have to pick one.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #14

Well, I think we have come to a decision, and will see if we can go with a 2014 Jayflight 28BHBE. When all was said and done, it was the winner of the cost/benefit analysis.

I spoke with a number of people about my local dealer and received favorable opinions. Web searches revealed favorable comments and the three complaints the BBB listed were favorably resolved. Walked in to their advertised open house last Sunday and looked around. Had to ask to speak with a salesman - certainly no high pressure! Our agreed-upon price is 73% of the MSRP that appeared from the Jayco website using the build and price function. My DW is supposed to stop in their shop tomorrow and leave a 10% deposit for the order, so we'll see whether that goes smoothly or the whole deal falls apart.

We are ordering the following:

Jayflight 28BHBE

• Hide-a-bed
• 2nd 13,500-BTU A/C in bedroom
• 50-amp service with 2nd A/C prep
• Bumper-mount outside grill
• Electric stabilizer jacks (4)
• Power Package
• Roof ladder
• Thermal Package

I don't feel in particular need of the power stuff, but my DW wanted and I figured it may make it easier to sell the trailer six or seven years from now (when the kids have left the nest).

So, we decided on a traditional "stick and tin" trailer.

I am looking to sell my 1995 Eagle 304BH now - I would like it to go to someone who will take care of it, as it really is a good trailer. It would be perfect for someone with small children at a very low cost.

Thanks to those who responded; not only this thread but my several other threads, as I tried to figure this out.

I'll let you know how the order and delivery process works out.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #15

Outstanding!
Congrats on the selection
I think you made a great choice
What dealer did you use?

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #16

That's a great trailer! I'm only a little biased...

I didn't think much of the power stuff either, but now that I have them, I find I like them very much, especially the tongue jack.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #17

The power stuff is like all our other stuff we really didn't need. Could never live without it again. Sounds like you did your homework and I hope it keeps you and your family happy for years to come.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #18

I just noticed, you are getting a thermal package but don't show dual pane windows. Maybe they are part of the thermal package, but if not, single panes are energy leakers.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #19

cekk: There is no window option on the Jayflight line on the Jayco website build and price function. The sales representative at the dealer did not identify it either.

Redhorse823: I am working with Boyer RV Sales in Erie, PA.

An update: the DW stopped in to the dealer today and completed the order (i.e., she selected the colors and all) and made the deposit for the order. Everything was as I had discussed online with the sales representative - there were no surprises or attempts to build in additional charges. There was a $100 "documentation fee" - I could do the registration a little cheaper at one of the vendors here in town but they kind of have you over the barrel on that one. Still, not unreasonable, and similar to what I have had to do when buying a new car. So, things are progressing well so far.

I'll post an update when we get a delivery date as well as how the process of actually receiving the trailer goes. I hope I never have to post an update on how the dealer handles warranty work - but if the situation arises.....

I'm sure I'll have questions as I go ........

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #20

Congratulations!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote