Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

First pull with the Equalizer E2

Just installed and set up my E2 today. Pulls very nice with no sway and much more level TV.

Followed all instructions to the letter and ended up installing one additional washer to fine tune the distribution. I'm happy with the numbers now. Had the TT fully loaded with fresh water etc and had the 150lb Honda EU3000i in the back of the TV.

One concern is that the link plates that the "L" brackets bolt to are wider from bolt to bolt than the TT frame is tall. Looks like the right bracket walked back a tiny bit. There is no way to ensure the backing plates do not bow some (squish) at the bottom when there is such a gap. Was thinking I might run a bolt through the middle of the frame through an unused hole in the link plates to ensure they cannot move back and forth on the frame.

Anyone with any experience with this setup have any suggestions here?

Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
brkt2.jpg  
Equalizer E2 6000
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #2

I'm looking at your set-up and happy to see they have new owners bolt the set-up to the tongue. We had many problems regarding this and posted our failures HERE. We now have a single bolt where you have two bolts. We love our Equalizer especially since the bolt was installed on the tongue!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

Interesting...though the outside L-bracket is indeed bolted to the the pinch bracket behind it with 2 fixed bolts, they do not pierce the frame. The whole works can "walk" back and forth if there is any movement.
Equalizer E2 6000
Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTremist View Post
Interesting...though the outside L-bracket is indeed bolted to the the pinch bracket behind it with 2 fixed bolts, they do not pierce the frame. The whole works can "walk" back and forth if there is any movement.
That's bolted twice to the frame. The "fix" for us was just a single bolt and that has done fine for 5k miles; no more 'walkng back' like it did without the bolts
Old 08-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
That's bolted twice to the frame. The "fix" for us was just a single bolt and that has done fine for 5k miles; no more 'walkng back' like it did without the bolts
Healthi,
From the pictures in your original post, it looks like you added a bolt in the location under the L-bracket. Does this new bolt go right thru the tongue frame and the backing plate on the other side of the frame?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Healthi,
From the pictures in your original post, it looks like you added a bolt in the location under the L-bracket. Does this new bolt go right thru the tongue frame and the backing plate on the other side of the frame?
Ya know, I don't think I said it right... so here are some pics I took a few minutes ago that show the inside and outside of the tongue on street and curb side. Hope this helps better show what the dealer did ( Our dealer did the 'fix' for us)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4933.jpg   DSCF4935.jpg   DSCF4936.jpg   DSCF4937.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #7

Here is what the brackets look like from the top looking down and from under it looking up
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4938.jpg   DSCF4940.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #8

Okay Healthi,
Well, back in the spring, before we took delivery, I asked the dealer about making the bracket more secure against slipage. He wanted me to try it, and see if it slipped. Well, it has only slipped twice, both times when backing into our upward sloping driveway. Not too bad, I thought. This recent thread got me motivated though, to make an improvement. This afternoon, I drilled the holes and added a half inch by 3 and one half inch bolt right through the bracket and the tongue. You can see the before and after pictures. In the before picture, you can see the inside plate is bowed. Equalizer cautions against bowing because that shows not enough grip to the tongue. I couldn't see any way to elimninate the bow, except to put a bolt through it. This is what the OP suggested he might try also. So, we'll see how this mod will perform. Note, my installation has lock washers under each nut, where as Healthi's photos show double nuts for locking.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0654-before.jpg   DSCN0662-newbolt-2.jpg   DSCN0664-newbolt-1.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Okay Healthi,
Well, back in the spring, before we took delivery, I asked the dealer about making the bracket more secure against slipage. He wanted me to try it, and see if it slipped. Well, it has only slipped twice, both times when backing into our upward sloping driveway. Not too bad, I thought. This recent thread got me motivated though, to make an improvement. This afternoon, I drilled the holes and added a half inch by 3 and one half inch bolt right through the bracket and the tongue. You can see the before and after pictures. In the before picture, you can see the inside plate is bowed. Equalizer cautions against bowing because that shows not enough grip to the tongue. I couldn't see any way to elimninate the bow, except to put a bolt through it. This is what the OP suggested he might try also. So, we'll see how this mod will perform. Note, my installation has lock washers under each nut, where as Healthi's photos show double nuts for locking.
Exactly what I am about to do to mine. Nice job!
Equalizer E2 6000