Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #1

Kinda dissappointed.....

in a local dealer. They have very little inventory and seem a little hesitant to help a new shopper. So I found one of the online dealers and I asked for a quote. They came off the MSRP about 30% on their first quote. I have never purchased an rv. Is this about as good as I can expect, or like car dealers, should I never jump at their first offer?

Any of you who have purchased from the online dealers, please help with your comments and advice.

Thank you.
fyshy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #2

30% off listed MSRP is a good deal. Some might get 32% off and some might only get 28% off. Thus, 30% off is a good deal.

Also... Before signing, remember to "negociate" any optional included items as well. For example, WD system, slider topper (slide awning), AC cover, special tires (like chrome instead of white), Brake Controller for your Tow Vehicle, etc. etc. Thus, getting 30% off those "bundled" items as well.

Happy shopping...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #3

Couple of thoughts. Did you talk to a salesperson or the owner? If you talked to a salesperson I'd go back in and ask to speak to the owner. Explain your interested in a trailer and express your initial concerns/disappointments. Money talks and if the dealer wants your business they have to earn it. Little inventory, could be your local dealer might have sold off last years models/inventory and hasn't got in his 2011 models yet. You didn't mention where you're from but if you live in a cold climate this might be the case because sales really fall off during the winter months. They don't want alot of inventory just sitting there. Example: around here places like Home Depot are selling off their snow blowers now and won't be getting any more in 'till next fall. Also, you didn't mention what model you're looking at but few dealers keep all models in stock, they'll concentrate on their most popular sellers. Nothing against online sales but keep in mind, that local dealer who is a little hesitant on helping a new shopper will probably carry that same attitude if any service/warranty work is needed on a unit weather they sold the trailer or not.

I agree that 30% off is a pretty good deal, but like Spike99 mentioned above try to carry that 30% as far as you can on dealer options and accessories. Some have printed the quote from an online dealer and taken it to their local dealer to see how far that dealer will go to earn your business. If you're not happy with the dealer who isn't willing to help you (don't blame you a bit) do you have another dealer that's close to see what they can do for you?

Just my $.02.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #4

There is more than price...

Did sales person show you different floor plans? We spent over 4 hours learning about floor plans and different layout and what fit us best. I'm a tall guy at 6'2" I want to fit in side with ducking, folding myself up in bed, etc... I wore a cowboy hat that day so if any was to low it would hit the hat first. (Warning sign). Make sure you lay down in the bed and get comfortable positions and make sure you fit. What good is it to buy a trailer you can't sleep in comfort? Being the bathroom is the smallest room make sure you can fit in there. Stand in the shower, sit on the can. Etc.

Did the the sales person show you construction of the TT? Ok the next step of the day the sale person was showing us different frame designs and coach constructions. Then when into internal contruction showing cabinet door construction, bench seating, etc... Sale person went as far to show the different between brands and years of models.

We opted for a heavier enclosed frame of the Jayco versus the light version knowing that we might tow it up a few forestry road now and them for camping.

If you enjoy cooking you might make sure you got enough counter space for cooking. Most trailers are very short for work room.

After about 8 hours... We found a lonely RV sit back in a corner... By about a week later it came home with us...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #5

wholesalervclub.com

I used this site, wholesalervclub.com to get a quote on the unit I was looking for and then took that quote to my dealer. The dealer then beat their price. I don't think I could have gotten any lower. I thought 30% off the MSRP was a good deal. It all depends if you are happy with the deal you get. That's about all that counts to me. Someone will probably always say they got a better deal.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #6

my two cents is simple. This is the best time of year to buy a camper especially if you live in North East. Lots are usually full and no one is buying. Negotiate your ass off..lol. I find dealers are just trying to move inventory at this point with little to no profit. The 2 times I bought at this time of year, first was Fleetwood pop up that was 14,900 walked out at 7,900. Second time I had just bought my Jayfeather 24J the year before, they paid it off and came down to 25g after taxes on my Jayco 314BDS Eagle Superlite.(list i think is 32 and change) So long and short shop around and Mopar is right there is more to buying then just price. Warranty is important and so is the shop that executes the work. I found another place to do work on camper under warranty other then dealer that I bought unit from. Price was great but service dept lost my confidence.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

Good info.

Thanks for all the good points to consider. I prefer to by from a local dealer, but will only do business where I feel they have earned my dollar. I would not expect a local dealer to spend hours or days educating me on the different models and then meet the online dealers quote. I feel service is worth a little more in the price and I would be willing to pay for it.

But, I am seeing more interest in making the sale from an email dealer than the guy down the street. Sure I have to drive a few hundred miles to pick it up but I guess that is just part of it. As far as servicing it, I expect a Jayco dealer to service my new Jayco, no matter where it was purchased. I'm sure Jayco does too.

Bottom line for me is if a local dealer wants me to buy from him, then he needs to get a trailer in here for me to see (or arrange one for me) and then be competitive on his price. He doesn't have to be the lowest, just competitive.

Thanks again guys.

I appreciate your comments.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #8

fyshy1

I agree they should definitely earn your business. Shop around and be aggressive. Trust me there not selling campers like crazy this time of year, unless your in a year round warm climate. Then that could be different. As far as warranty, any Jayco Authorized shop can perform repairs in the event you do buy online. Good luck keep us posted!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

fyshy1...have you thought about buying used by someone who might be in a "disparate" situation that has to sell a good used unit?
jaycogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshy1 View Post
Thanks for all the good points to consider. I prefer to by from a local dealer, but will only do business where I feel they have earned my dollar. I would not expect a local dealer to spend hours or days educating me on the different models and then meet the online dealers quote. I feel service is worth a little more in the price and I would be willing to pay for it.

But, I am seeing more interest in making the sale from an email dealer than the guy down the street. Sure I have to drive a few hundred miles to pick it up but I guess that is just part of it. As far as servicing it, I expect a Jayco dealer to service my new Jayco, no matter where it was purchased. I'm sure Jayco does too.

Bottom line for me is if a local dealer wants me to buy from him, then he needs to get a trailer in here for me to see (or arrange one for me) and then be competitive on his price. He doesn't have to be the lowest, just competitive.

Thanks again guys.

I appreciate your comments.

I was kinda in the same spot, wanted to buy close by, couldn`t make it happen. With one dealer I asked for 2 quotes on different units from their websites "request a quote" site, where you fill in the info about what you are interested in. Never got a return phone call, email, nothing. These were units they did not have on the lot at the time. They would of course have to order them. Didn`t wanna make a sale very badly did they?

I tried another one and the salesman did call back. He gave me a price that was up in the stratosphere. Would not come down, said they were "selling like hotcakes at that price" and that was it. Keep in mind this is Summer 2009 in the heart of the financial crisis and one of the worse sales years on record in RV history. TURNOFF.

So I got the quote from RV direct in minutes,all questions were promptly answered either by email or phone, ordered it a few days later with 10% down and it was ready for pickup in about 6 weeks just when they said it would be. All paperwork was handled either via email or overnight FEDEX. Easy and no hidden fees. I even financed with them and they knocked off another 500.00. Made the 430 mile trip to Albany to get it and the wife and I made a nice little getaway out of the whole thing. PDI was very professional and thorough. We camped overnight about 30 miles from the dealer to try everything out and relax before the trip home.

I prefer to buy local whenever possible and if you can get a dealer to work with you and get reasonably close in price, then that`s the way to go. If not the online direct or wholesale dealers are a viable option. At least they want your business.

I really do not have any local dealers anyway, there are a few within 70 miles that sell something I was not interested in. As I said I would have liked to buy closer for all the usual and obvious reasons but could not make it happen.

Good luck. - Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #11

We bought used.... Our closest dealer asks when I call, "Did you buy the unit from us?" Their attention span gets pretty short after that. They've never returned the calls they said they would.

We have a dealer closer that doesn't carry Jayco. He's be extremely helpful and willing to help me find whatever I've needed.
Hutashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #12

30% off is certainly in the ballpark. I shopped a lot, mostly online, as our "local" dealer is about 150 miles away and was very good in showing us around in late summer, but lost interest when we tried to negotiate online in November. I got a good price from RVDirect for exact options we wanted and shopped that quote with brick and mortar dealers within a thousand miles. None came really close until we found one who beat the price, 32% off msrp, roughly. Checked out their reputation and it's stellar. We sent the down payment and requested it not be built until things thaw out here at home. The local dealer was thousands more plus $1800 for delivery to their site. I saved most of that by buying closer to the factory, so the saving will pay for our trip to get it, which will let us get halfway to my wife's Maryland relatives. I really wanted a b/m dealership so when we do our pre delivery inspection things can be taken care of right there before payment. But I've read reports of folks who bought from the internet shops and were very happy. So I'm not very worried about not using a local, as just like in your case, they weren't too interested in pleasing me. Buying local is only worth what it's worth to you. It wasn't worth $4k to me. JaycoGeorge suggested buying used. That's a good idea. I've lived long enough to have suffered buyer's remorse more than once. So now I expected whatever our first trailer was wouldn't be what we'd have bought after spending a couple seasons in it. Sure enough, I was right. But having that in mind I searched for a real good deal on what I thought we wanted so I wouldn't take too bad a beating when I sold it. Believe it or not, I bought one in July of '09 and sold it a couple months ago for $600 more than I paid. So I'd sure consider JaycoG's advice. No matter which route you take, I just hope you and your family come to enjoy RVing as much as we do!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #13

YOu know, just like others here have said in different threads... the one good thing is that JAYCO will authorize a local "expert" to deal with warranty issues if you can't get to the "local" dealer (ours is 4 hours away). We may actually take Jayco up on the offer so we don't have to make a trip that far away again. Something to keep in mind if the local dealer is inept or acts such
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #14

Buying a Flight 22FB: RV-Direct quoted a 30% discount off their MSRP which includes a destination charge, although they don't say how much the destination charge is. However, RV-D presents a problem to me here in Houston as I don't want to drive 1,000 miles to Orlando or Des Moines to take delivery of the TT as stipulated by Jayco.

So, the best deal I found closer to home is a local dealer quote that is:
1. Equal to the RV-Direct or Wholesale RV Club quote + a calculated shipping cost from their location to Houston.
2. The local quote is $800 less than a dealer quote in San Antonio, TX and $300 less than a quote in Lafayette, LA.

So I guess it's a good deal as I have not been able to find a lower price nearby. And as others have said, I'm happy with it!
earl9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl9653 View Post
Buying a Flight 22FB: RV-Direct quoted a 30% discount off their MSRP which includes a destination charge, although they don't say how much the destination charge is. However, RV-D presents a problem to me here in Houston as I don't want to drive 1,000 miles to Orlando or Des Moines to take delivery of the TT as stipulated by Jayco.

1. Equal to the RV-Direct or Wholesale RV Club quote + a calculated shipping cost from their location to Houston.
2. The local quote is $800 less than a dealer quote in San Antonio, TX and $300 less than a quote in Lafayette, LA.

So I guess it's a good deal as I have not been able to find a lower price nearby. And as others have said, I'm happy with it!

Great! Post pics when ya get it
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #16

I purchased mine from RV Outlets from Danville, VA. They had a used one that looked good and the price was below the NADA price, plus they even came down another $1000, so I feel like they treated me well.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #17

fyshy1 This is just an observation I've made recently regarding bench space. It may be something easily overlooked when new to caravaning and not noticed until you are preparing your first meal way out in the bush. Many new vans I've seen recently are light on bench space for food preparation. I have an area of bench beside the sink and also beside the stove top. I think this is a minimum amount necessary for food preparation. Many I've looked at recently have the sink and stove side by side with an insert in the sink and a cover over the stove BUT where do you work if the stove top is being used and you are also, say, washing vegies in the sink? This of course only applies to the smaller vans. The big 5ers etc have enough room to have a party!!
frednjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
YOu know, just like others here have said in different threads... the one good thing is that JAYCO will authorize a local "expert" to deal with warranty issues if you can't get to the "local" dealer (ours is 4 hours away). We may actually take Jayco up on the offer so we don't have to make a trip that far away again. Something to keep in mind if the local dealer is inept or acts such
this is definitely true Healthi, I lost faith in my dealer and found this amazing mom and pop shop and they are authorized to do jacyo warranty. http://www.len-richrv.net/index2.html
Len-Rich RV Mobile repair in Gardiner, NY
Old 02-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Bobbydeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl9653 View Post

Earl, by any chance did you try Crain RV in Little Rock??? Very large dealer on I -30.Was curious about their discounts and deals.....
Bobbydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #20

Wow.

This is some great info for me to consider. I really appreciate it and hope to report a deal soon.
Thanks again.