Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #1

OK, we are close!

Thanks to many of you, we are close to making a deal on 2011 Jayco Skylark. Deal seems good from dealer and they have included sway and brake control, batteries, filled LP tanks. Since I have never been an rver, I am asking you to help again. Is there anything I am missing or should ask them to throw in?

Thanks again for all of the helpful comments. Wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys.
fyshy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #2

Look's like your on your way fyshy1, I assume your dealer will also furnish & install the electric connector, correct drop hitch with a ball. Larry
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #3

For my next TT (if bought from RV dealer), I would ensure they include a slide awning as well. IMO, a slide awning (to reduce stuff on slide top and to reduce flat roof water leaks) is mandatory. Without an slopped awning, a slide roof looks like: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_0358.jpg If wondering, I'm installing a slide awning this spring. Should have listened to my own inner voice - during RV price negociations... For DIY install, surf:

Also ensure the RV dealer includes MaxAir (or simular company) Vent covers over its RV roof vents. Would go with white vent over the bathroom (to ensure some light comes in) and ensure black vent is used over the bedroom areas. re: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-vents/31-1919.htm

Would include a Surge Protector as well. Currently, I have a Surge Guard "hard wired" unit and it works great. re: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_2042.jpg Note: Some folks like the Progressive Surge Protection with Power MGMT display much better. Its more expensive and if I had the extra dollars, I would have bought it instead. re: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_lchw30.htm
Note: Power at many camp grounds is dirty. The risk of electrical problems at a CG is much higher then a stick house outlet. Especially your own home's outlet. IMO, Surge Protection (even basic protection) is mandatory.

Do investigate the bedroom windows. Especially your kid's bedroom windows. If your kids don't like light and love to sleep in, get their window tinted as well. I had to manually tint the one bedroom windows myself. Cost me $20 but known today, I would have gotten my RV dealer to include this option.

If you go on your roof for cleaning, ensure the RV dealer includes an AC cover. While "on the roof" preparing for outside winter storage, simply put the AC cover over your RV's AC unit. Especially if you live in snow region - like my TTs. My previous TT had an AC cover and wished my dealer included an AC cover - for my current Jayco. One of these days, I need to buy an RV cover for my current Jayco.

If your TT is longer then 22 ft, get 2 x extra scissor jacks as well. These jacks are same size as the end scirros jacks, and can be mounted within the center of the trailer's frame rails. Thus, reducing (eliminating) floor's uip/down bounce. Especially for heavy weight people - like me. My 29ft Jayco has center jacks "now" and they work great. For picture of these jacks on a different TT, surf: http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ugust20071.jpg
Note: IMO, center Scissor jacks under long trailers should be minimum build.

When doing "negociations" with RV dealers, they will state that these items are NOT needed. They are "nice to have" options. Some of these items are. Yet. Some of these items are mandatory. Like Surge Protection, center scissor jacks and Slide Topper. I fell into their trap of (that's really not needed) and soon after, I had to buy many of these items myself. And, paid much more for these items. Wished I got 30% (or even 20%) off these items - with my TT as well... Lesson learned the hard way....

Hope this helps..

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #4

Those slide toppers are a like it or hate it type of thing. While they keep things off the roof of the slide they are very noisey in the wind and can keep you awake all night.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #5

One should try to negociate a discount on "included" wheel covers as well. Nickle and dime stuff to the RV dealer but to us, saving even 20% on them helps.

re: 4 of http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...HL._SS500_.jpg

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #6

If you got 30% off the MSRP you made a good deal. Works for me.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #7

Did you get the furnace for the Skylark? This option puts the A/C on the roof. The heat pump shuts down close to freezing temperatures.
Your free one year Coach-net package will arrive four months after purchase, but is effective at the date of purchase, but you can't use it until they process your vin#, which makes it an eight month free trial.
LP, and battery come with the package, good job on getting the brake control and hitch.
Have the dealer print out the owners manual, it does not come with the TT, and is not in the bulging plastic bag full of appliance manuals.
Are you getting the FKV or the FBV?
Congratulations and happy camping!
avitech10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #8

Skylark

We are getting the FKV. All of this is new to us so we appreciate everybody's help. What a great forum!

Yes, we are getting the furnace option with AC on roof.
fyshy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #9

Congratulations and best wishes with your purchase. Have also put a deposit down on a 2012 Skylark FKV. Did the optional AC/furnace ILO heat pump. Also added the spare tire carrier and tire. To help reduce weight one option I am thinking of is the fiberglass propane tanks vs metal. Apparently they are only 1/4 the weight of metal tanks and you can see the level of propane in the tank since they are translucent. Am curious as to what you will be towing with, in my case a Toyota 4 runner, with v6. Once again Good Luck and happy trailering. Am expecting delivery in about 4 weeks.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog4kneer View Post
Congratulations and best wishes with your purchase. Have also put a deposit down on a 2012 Skylark FKV. Did the optional AC/furnace ILO heat pump. Also added the spare tire carrier and tire. To help reduce weight one option I am thinking of is the fiberglass propane tanks vs metal. Apparently they are only 1/4 the weight of metal tanks and you can see the level of propane in the tank since they are translucent. Am curious as to what you will be towing with, in my case a Toyota 4 runner, with v6. Once again Good Luck and happy trailering. Am expecting delivery in about 4 weeks.
Post pics of your maiden voyage!!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote