Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #1

any x213 owners out there??

hello. i'm new to this forum. looks like a great site for a lot of good info.

i just ordered a new 2012' x213 and was wondering if anyone has or has had one of these trailers?
just wanted to get your thoughts and remarks on how you liked or like it?

thanks in advance!
azdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #2

Hey Azdude! I am not that familiar with your model, but I am sure others here are. I wanted to welcome you to the forums! When you have time, feel free to introduce yourself over in the new member forum. Glad you found us!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Family AZDude! We don't have that tt, but know what it's like to have to wait for an ordered tt! Exciting!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #4

We bought a 213 last year upgrading from a hybrid. We got a lot of use out of it and are very happy with it. No problems at all. Only addition was a ladder for my son to get to his top bunk. Enjoy.
lilamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamigo View Post
We bought a 213 last year upgrading from a hybrid. We got a lot of use out of it and are very happy with it. No problems at all. Only addition was a ladder for my son to get to his top bunk. Enjoy.

cool glad to hear that. just had a few questions for you since i finally found someone with the same trailer

i'm thinking of adding an additional battery. do you have just the one? if so does it last you more than a few days?(i will be doing mostly dry camping)

how does the thing tow?

how long does the water last you without hook-ups?

if you had any complaints what would they be?

any feedback would be really appreciated as i'm a first time rv'er and this is all new to me. i'm supposed to take delivery of my trailer in june so i'm really anxious and want to learn as much as possible before i get it.

thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdude View Post
snip.......i'm thinking of adding an additional battery. do you have just the one? if so does it last you more than a few days?(i will be doing mostly dry camping).........snip........how long does the water last you without hook-ups?........snip
Water consumption as you know is based on how many campers will be drawing from it, and how frugal a boondocker you are. I carry an extra 5 gallon jug of water for miscellaneous use around the camp, and also use the jug for filling the fresh water tank in the event a hand well pump is in the area. I'll bring a couple 2 1/2 gallon jugs of spring water for drinking. I minimize traveling with a full tank of fresh water, and plan ahead to fill the tank close to where I may be boondocking if possible. I avoid traveling with "any" tanks filled for any distance because of the potential impact on my loaded tongue weight.

Adding a second battery, IMO this is a must if the majority of your camping is boondocking/dry camping. The standard 12V Marine/RV battery may provide around 85 amp/hr capacity, where two 6V deep cycle batteries will give 230 amp/hrs capacity. The biggest killer of amp/hrs is the furnace, figure around 7 amp/hr., and don't forget about that electric awning. Normally under "conservative" use one should get a couple of days out of a single 12V battery without discharging it to badly. Again, how many days one gets out of any particular battery bank is dependent on how it used.

Check out some of the forum members mods over in the "Jayco Mods" section of this forum on LED's (great way to save on amp usage). Also, here is a link to my (2) 6V deep cycle battery up-grade thread that I did on my Jayco Eagle in the same "Jayco Mods" section: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2752

If you have any questions on my 6V up-grade, feel free to post it over on my 6V "Jayco Mods" thread.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #7

We bought our 213 last year, its a 2010 model.

We love it so far. Only a couple of comments/complaints.

1. The slide out clutch engages too soon, and so I have to be outside supporting the slideout for the last 3-4 inches while my wife holds the button.

2. The fresh water tank is small. I believe 26 gallons comes to mind. I bought a blue water tote from Wal-Mart and I will go to the hardware store to buy some 1/2" flexible tubing an do the "siphon" method to keep the tank topped off.

3. Flat pitch awning. My awning is not pitch adjustable, so it doesn't do much for blocking the sun. Not a big deal, but its also a water collector. I'm not a huge fan of the "auto dump" feature.

All in all, we really like the floor plan. We also looked at the KZ spree 220ks, which is exactly the same. It has a couple of nicer features, but for the extra $4,000 it wasn't work it to us.

We tow ours with a 2010 Chevy Traverse and it tows it very well. What do you tow with?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
snip......The slide out clutch engages too soon, and so I have to be outside supporting the slideout for the last 3-4 inches while my wife holds the button......snip
I learned something here, that the Jay Feather "Select" models have an electric powered rear slideout (not manual).

The OP needs to also consider the amp/hr draw required to open/close the slideout as well when boondocking.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:

1. The slide out clutch engages too soon, and so I have to be outside supporting the slideout for the last 3-4 inches while my wife holds the button.

2. The fresh water tank is small. I believe 26 gallons comes to mind. I bought a blue water tote from Wal-Mart and I will go to the hardware store to buy some 1/2" flexible tubing an do the "siphon" method to keep the tank topped off.

3. Flat pitch awning. My awning is not pitch adjustable, so it doesn't do much for blocking the sun. Not a big deal, but its also a water collector. I'm not a huge fan of the "auto dump" feature.

All in all, we really like the floor plan. We also looked at the KZ spree 220ks, which is exactly the same. It has a couple of nicer features, but for the extra $4,000 it wasn't work it to us.

We tow ours with a 2010 Chevy Traverse and it tows it very well. What do you tow with?
what is the auto dump feature?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #10

When enough water accumulates on the awning, it "automatically" dumps off the sides. usually the one you're standing under
Old 05-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #11

Hello AZDude, I'm also an AZ dude and picked up a 2009 213 EXP about 1 month back. We have made our maiden voyage already and looking forward to memorial day weekend somewhere.

So far we love our trailer. Just right for our family with 2 children.
It tows great with my vehicle, which is an older 2004 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4. A little more power would be nice, but its fine for now.

The one we found used came with a nice dual 6V battery setup and solar chargers on the top, so we are already set there - seems to do a good job of keeping the batteries topped off.

No real complaints at all thus far, we are very happy.

We are complete newbie's to RV'ing so we are learning as we go.

What is the ETA for when you will get your's?

-Chip
Chandler, AZ

chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #12

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Chip! Congrats on your new tt! You guys, make sure you post pics in the "Pics of Your Jayco" forum! Any mods planned?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlinthi View Post
Hello AZDude, I'm also an AZ dude and picked up a 2009 213 EXP about 1 month back. We have made our maiden voyage already and looking forward to memorial day weekend somewhere.

So far we love our trailer. Just right for our family with 2 children.
It tows great with my vehicle, which is an older 2004 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4. A little more power would be nice, but its fine for now.

The one we found used came with a nice dual 6V battery setup and solar chargers on the top, so we are already set there - seems to do a good job of keeping the batteries topped off.

No real complaints at all thus far, we are very happy.

We are complete newbie's to RV'ing so we are learning as we go.

What is the ETA for when you will get your's?

-Chip
Chandler, AZ

i'm schuduled to get mine only after memorial day weekend. it would have been nice to get out somewhere for the holiday weekend for our fisrt trip, but that's not gonna happen.
that solar thing sounds like a really good idea. you have any clue as to how much that would cost? i would be really interested in that.
you have any really nice places that you would recommend to go camping? i'm always looking for new places around the state.
thanks for your input!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:

?
We do not like our flat-pitch awning either. We practiced the dump feature one day when the tt and awning was professionally washed. We watched as the dump feature did it's thing. However, a pool of water still remained in the middle.

Owner of our dealership suggested we add a SunBlocker type shade to the awning and wouldn't void warranty. It slides right in and can be rolled up with the awning so you don't have to take it down and put it back up
Old 06-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #15

We also just purchased our 213 in the fall...we used it in May and are currently getting it ready for the 4th of July weekend....the slide out worked fine in May now we are finding it doesn't quite fully extend ....did you ever contact the dealer and what did you find out?
laurelplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #16

I ended up lubing up the ball bearings, (under the bed, from the inside) and that fixed my slideout. I guess mine was just binding up a bit.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #17

CHLINTHI - We are seriuosly looking at getting one next spring. Your 2009 has the smaller bed I think and the rear window... How is sleeping in that model... I have been loooking at the 2009 models up... I think i would like the side bed windows to get a good breeze going across us at night maybe.

Other the rear window I think they are about the same.

There is only two of us camping so I am thinking about making the bunkbed room into a radio/computer/office area... I will be using a 2010 F150 5.4 gas engine - 3.73 gears to tow it with...

Really been looking at all them all over the place...
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #18

Got another question about the X213 Rear Bed Slide-out. I know it is electric operated but curious if there is also a MANUAL CRANK for the slide operations. If so where is that located.. Maybe the same tool as the crank down stablizers ??? I'm still gathering info on the X213 hoping to pick one up this coming spring in 2012... I guess I am rulling out the 2009 model since that bed slide has the rear window. The 2010 and up models have the two side windows which I hope opens up for a good cross section breeze when sleeping.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
Old 10-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #19

There is a manual crank "dock" located on the motor under a skirt at the foot of the bed. You use a tool very similar to the one for deploying the stabilizers. I keep the tool stored in the front outside compartment. The manual bed crank tool has a longer shaft so its easier to reach under the bed when you crank it in and out. I used it only once as a trial just to see how it worked.

My 2011 X213 has the two windows on the sides of the bed that allows a nice cross breeze for sleeping.
OffTheGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #20

I'm still amazed how that bed slide works. It sure looks like it has more sticking out past the wall than would be safe hehe... I guess it must have a track on top near the ceiling as well to hold it up when extended. Someone also said there was a note on the wall inside not to place anything on the bed over 120LBS or something like that when retracted. Then I hear everyone saysing they sleep in the bed when retracted when at overnite places like Walmart... I guess it would be wise to put something under the retracted bed end??? You wouldn't think it makes any difference which side of the motor rack you was putting weight on.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"