Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #1

Mouting tv to wall

We're purchasing a new flat panel tv for our trailer and I've never mounted anything to the wall's in a trailer before. First, can I install a flat panel to the wall in my 2007 Jayco 31BHDS? Do I need a special mount? I also want to mount a couple towel racks in the bathroom. Can I just screw into the wall or do I need a special anchor? Any hints would be appreciated.
YahoosJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #2

YahoosJayco, I've mounted a small flatscreen TV to the wall in my 2006 Jayco 31 BHS, and I used sheetrock anchors and screwed the mounting bracket to those. When traveling, I take the TV down and lay it on the bed. I've had it up for two weeks now, and only traveling have really done is 30 miles one way to empty black tanks, but haven't had any problem with the TV hanging on the wall. I've converted the TV cabinet into an extra pantry for dry goods/cereal. Hope this helps.

Fair winds and happy trails...
GKopecky1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

for the towel rack a short self taping screw or two on each should suffice.. However I always back them up with 2 sided tape...

for the TV use any flat panel mount you want to ... but I would tap on the wall till you find a wall stud and mount it to that..

as always my opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them....
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #4

For the towel racks, unless you are lucky and can screw directly into studs (I never get that lucky), you will need to use anchors. Best would be molly bolts. Just make sure you know exactly where you want the racks because molly bolts are a bugger to remove (it can be done without damage, though) and leave a rather noticeable hole. I don't like toggle bolts because they need a larger hole and, if you remove the screw, the toggle drops into the wall.

Mounting the TV could be a bit more challenging, depending on where you want it and how big it is. If the TV isn't too big (say 22" down) and you can center it over a stud, you could get a simple wall mount that can be lag screwed to the single stud. Even stronger would be to mount the TV mount to a finished hardwood board (routing the edges would give it a professional look) and bridge the board over two studs. If you are really lucky, you might even find a place that Jayco reinforced for the purpose of mounting a TV (usually, though, RV manufacturers pick the oddest places for that). If you have to use an extendable mount, you will need to get one designed for RVs that can be locked to the wall when in transit (Mor/ryde makes some) or just figure on having to remove the TV and securing it in a safe place (such as strapped to the bed) when moving the trailer. Because of the added stress from an extendable mount, it would be necessary to span at least two studs with a mounting board.

Whatever you do, don't expect the paneling of an inside wall to support the TV. If an outside wall is 1/2" plywood, you might get a way using 1/4" molly bolts for a simple mount for a really small TV but I would sleep better if the mount was screwed directly to the studs or to a board bridging the studs. It is imperative that you hit the center of the studs. Use an electronic stud finder to find the edges of the stud to determine the center. If the studs are aluminum tube, use molly bolts instead of screws in the studs.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Good points, LadyFitz. You have obviously installed these items before.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #6

I've lived in mobile homes most of my life (did have a house for 15 years; I hated that money pit!) which aren't too dissimilar to many travel trailers. My Daddy was a do-it-yourselfer and I picked it up from himself. Most women like to move furniture; I move walls. I minored in industial arts when I was in college.