Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #1

Thumbs down Swift SLX 145RB

On labor day we were on our way back from the Big Horns and were just south of Buffalo Wyoming when with only 400 miles on our new Swift SLX 145 RB the right tire blew causing about $ 2500 dollars worth of damage to our barely a month old unit.....We placed the biased ply spare ( the dealer Stalkups had put on when the unit was new) because the radial it was shipped with according to the plate and on the left front of the unit some how came up MIA during shipping and according to Dave whom did our walk thru said " I don't understand why the don't give you a radial for a spare".....Any way Tuesday morning my wife called Dave and told him of our problem and to see about getting it in to be looked at...His first thing was we don't warranty tires....With the required tire pressure that was checked prior to our trip and only 400 miles on those tires we were really put out that they did not care....After a couple calls to Jayco( my wife spoke with Jennifer in customer service) she was put thru to a Jayco tire tech....The tire tech gave her the phone number of the tire manufacture whom will absolutely not return my wifes calls..(Towmaster)Jayco don't care, Stalkup's don't care...They have our money and thats the bottom line.... the dealer uses the road hazard excuse......At 400 hundred miles this tire should not have failed..After doing research on this website and others I have been able to find info that tells me that there is a problem with these tires... I will be contacting NHTSA and filing a complaint...Also After my unit is repaired I will be selling it and will NEVER by a JAYCO trailer again.Pass the buck Jayco....Nor will I ever buy a thing from Stalkups ( we got your money and therefore don't care,and won't stand behind you..)By the way , my wife tries to call JAYCO back and gets put on hold...........This is our 1st RV expierience and its been pretty lousy so far..... Service after the sale is a thing of the Past......I will be sure to travel to other rv websites and spread the good news to everyone....You sell us a unit and then ask us vouch for your unit and service???? I don't think so.....very very miffed, Doug & Lenora Waltman, Casper Wyoming
BigWonderfulWyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #2

First of all - welcome to the forum. I hate that you started out on such a sour note. Hopefully some others here that may have experienced a similar thing can give you some advice on how to handle this. That would definitely put a sour taste in my mouth! Stuff like this happens - it is unavoidable when you put man and machine together - but I would want more support out of Jayco on this one!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Is this something that comprehensive insurance on the RV might cover?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #4

it is covered under comprehensive no fault.........
Old 09-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Site Team

There are countless pages of threads and posts on other forums about problems with Chinese ST trailer tires. Unfortunately now that Good Year has switched its Marathon ST tire manufacturing back to China again as far as I know you simply cannot buy a North American made ST tire. Sad. As for the tire warranty, I do not know how far that goes with regards to damages if the tire failed due to a defect. Your best bet may be the insurance. But I agree your dealer and Jayco should be sympathetic to your plight at the very least.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Doug,

Sorry to hear about your damaged TT do to a tire blowout...., had it happen to me years ago on my first TT (Nomad) and caused considerable wheel well damage that went all the way into the inside of the TT.

Since you mentioned that you are aware of some issues with the particular tire, I assume you have saved the tire for further examination (NHTSA may want it to). Was there any signs that the tire failed do to a puncture (nail, glass, etc..)??

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #7

I have saved the tire...................
Old 09-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #8

Go here.. https://www.facebook.com/JaycoRVs

Im betting you would get results, post what you posted here...seriously, the person who represents Jayco on their facebook page always gets results for people.

https://blog.graywriterrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/rv-dump-icon.jpg
CampRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #9

My new 14500 GVWR 321RLTS has the Kung Pow, China Bomb Goodyear Marathron ST tires. Load range D to boot. Wondering what the Heck Jayco was thinking. Loaded full up to Jayco specs very little room left over. Should have been load range E at least. I really am wondering if I should just junk these and take a $1K hit for good tires or trust that the warrenty will cover any issues. I am not so confident that Goodyear would cover trailer damage if a tire gives up. I am very anal about checking pressures and lug tightness.
Smithrjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #10

Do you read Trailer Life Magazine? Try contacting their RV Action Line.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #11

thanks CAMPROCK, have posted on Jayco wall on facebook............
Old 09-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #12

Goodyear China Bombs? Jayco has been really cheaping out in 2012. On the Eagles, they dropped the stainless kitchen sink for a plastic sink of unknown quality, they now list a Glacier package on the TTs as an option but it appears to be the same insulation as what was a standard in 2011, the sofas are just a single fabric (although I do like them better, they are cheaper), cabinet doors that aren't as nicely machined and finished (one color with no shading in the recessed area, unlike the 2011s), etc., and China Bombs instead of Michelins.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #13

Actually My 321RLTS is an 2011. The 2012 model does have several differences. The 2012 has a batery disconnect, the 2011 does not.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #14

145 issues

i am dealing with same problem jayco is using creative new math on gawr and gvwr pound ratings it is a mess 3500# axle 1360#tires giving a 2720 gawr 2950 gvwr? on most trailers i have inspected and owned including 53' ref trans you can never have less gawr than gvwr but the powers at be at jayco state: it is 10# to the good side when you subtract 245# from gvwr you get a mathmaticaly safe setup due th tv taking some weight from gvwr that is only ok in static once the unit starts to move it becomes dynamic and tongue weight canbe more than the 245# to 0# to negative i argued with these idiots at jayco they just dont get it the engineer claimed a constant 245# tongue weight nomatter what i replied not possible i fooered to cut the coupler latch off w/torch and we would see how long the tt would stay on the ball since in his twisted mind there was 245# constant tongue weight meaning it was always there he diddint think that was a good idea! i also contacted power king tire talked to tiire engineer concerning 2720 worth of tires under a 2950gvwr vehicle and his reply was NO WARRANTY TIRE IS OVER LOADED END OF STORY a real knowlegable man who does not want his tires in that application and he is persuing to find out who is whole saleing them to jayco this is looking like a ford motor co /firestone disaster and to add insult 2 injury i cannot get a 2012 state inspection because of the gawr/gvwr issue this pratice of stealing tongue weight from gvw to justify in adequate tires is beyond stupid thx 4 listening to my rant
hammer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer7 View Post
i am dealing with same problem jayco is using creative new math on gawr and gvwr pound ratings it is a mess 3500# axle 1360#tires giving a 2720 gawr 2950 gvwr? on most trailers i have inspected and owned including 53' ref trans you can never have less gawr than gvwr but the powers at be at jayco state: it is 10# to the good side when you subtract 245# from gvwr you get a mathmaticaly safe setup due th tv taking some weight from gvwr that is only ok in static once the unit starts to move it becomes dynamic and tongue weight canbe more than the 245# to 0# to negative i argued with these idiots at jayco they just dont get it the engineer claimed a constant 245# tongue weight nomatter what i replied not possible i fooered to cut the coupler latch off w/torch and we would see how long the tt would stay on the ball since in his twisted mind there was 245# constant tongue weight meaning it was always there he diddint think that was a good idea! i also contacted power king tire talked to tiire engineer concerning 2720 worth of tires under a 2950gvwr vehicle and his reply was NO WARRANTY TIRE IS OVER LOADED END OF STORY a real knowlegable man who does not want his tires in that application and he is persuing to find out who is whole saleing them to jayco this is looking like a ford motor co /firestone disaster and to add insult 2 injury i cannot get a 2012 state inspection because of the gawr/gvwr issue this pratice of stealing tongue weight from gvw to justify in adequate tires is beyond stupid thx 4 listening to my rant
Hunh?
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
Site Team

"i am dealing with same problem jayco is using creative new math on gawr and gvwr pound ratings it is a mess 3500# axle 1360#tires giving a 2720 gawr 2950 gvwr?"

I must say this is not exclusive to Jayco, and is certainly not new math. Many TT`s including my last one which was a 2003 Coachmen the axle and tire ratings did not add up to the GVWR. This had me perplexed as well until I did some researching and low and behold many trailers rely on tongue weight to carry some of the GVWR. I agree that the tires and axles SHOULD be rated to carry the full weight of the GVWR on a trailer, but unfortunately many do not.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.......that is only ok in static once the unit starts to move it becomes dynamic and tongue weight canbe more than the 245# to 0# to negative i argued with these idiots at jayco they just dont get it the engineer claimed a constant 245# tongue weight nomatter what i replied not possible i fooered to cut the coupler latch off w/torch and we would see how long the tt would stay on the ball since in his twisted mind there was 245# constant tongue weight meaning it was always there he diddint think that was a good idea!......snip
Interesting post.......,

But the Jayco engineer is correct, the tongue weight at the hitch ball doesn't change under normal towing conditions. Now, if the cargo in the TT was moving around, and/or a 1/2 filled tank was sloshing water/solids around, then possibly the tongue weight could fluctuate. IMO under towing conditions where there is TV/TT bouncing taking place you would see more weight fluctuation taking place over the TV's rear axle, and the resulting effect of this would be of a higher concern to me.

IMO cutting the coupler off is a moot point, no matter how much tongue weight you have on the hitch ball (with an open or cut-off TT coupler) some dynamic event will eventually cause the TT coupler and hitch ball to part ways.

I agree that it would be nice to have tires rated for the full GVWR of a particular TT, HTT, etc., but for now it's all the more reason to confirm that our weights are within TV/TT manufacture specified limits, including the recommended 10% to 15% tongue weight.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #18

There are some NHSTA regs, but are some what vauge:
New 49 cfr 571.120 tire and rim selection regs as of 6/15/08 says this.
(snip)

Quote:

S10. Each motor home and recreation vehicle (RV) trailer must meet the applicable requirements in S10.
S10.1 On motor homes, the sum of the gross axle weight ratings (GAWR) of all axles on the vehicle must not be less than the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).
S10.2 On RV trailers, the sum of the GAWRs of all axles on the vehicle plus the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tongue weight must not be less than the GVWR. If tongue weight is specified as a range, the minimum value must be used.

So I guess it comes down to what is the specified tounge/pin weight ratio. My new 5th wheel is also right on the ragged ass edge. I guess it all comes down to the buck, sorry to see the RV industry is going this way. I would have happily paid more for better tires and a better rating. But then again I am not new at this. Perhaps dumb enough not to have noticed this until after purchase. What say you Jayco Engineers? So I guess that I will have to spend another $1200 to replaced the load range D tires with E range tires. Just REALLY hope the rims will take the extra 15PSI, or did Jayco cut the corner razor thin on the rims as well??
Old 09-23-2011, 05:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Interesting post.......,

But the Jayco engineer is correct, the tongue weight at the hitch ball doesn't change under normal towing conditions. Now, if the cargo in the TT was moving around, and/or a 1/2 filled tank was sloshing water/solids around, then possibly the tongue weight could fluctuate. IMO under towing conditions where there is TV/TT bouncing taking place you would see more weight fluctuation taking place over the TV's rear axle, and the resulting effect of this would be of a higher concern to me.

IMO cutting the coupler off is a moot point, no matter how much tongue weight you have on the hitch ball (with an open or cut-off TT coupler) some dynamic event will eventually cause the TT coupler and hitch ball to part ways.

I agree that it would be nice to have tires rated for the full GVWR of a particular TT, HTT, etc., but for now it's all the more reason to confirm that our weights are within TV/TT manufacture specified limits, including the recommended 10% to 15% tongue weight.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob
the so called mmoot point of cutting off coupler with torch was dramtic but i said it to make a point that the given static{stationary force applied to tv} will vary while the tv tt are in dynamic state{traveling on road surface} the jayco engineer was stating that no matter what under all conditions ie expansion joints,water sloshing,bumps,areodynamic sideforce,frontaldown force off camber tight radius turns wash boarding of dirt roadsswaying of tt THE HITCH HEIGHT OF THE 245# NEVER VARIES 1 OUNCE IT IS ALWAYS THERE AT 245# IT IS A CONSTANT A GIVEN NO FLUCTUATION PERIOD. now bob how do you justify your state ment that if the tt had 245# of constant un changing down force what dynamic event would cause the coupled to come off the ball?
hammer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
the so called mmoot point of cutting off coupler with torch was dramtic but i said it to make a point that the given static{stationary force applied to tv} will vary while the tv tt are in dynamic state{traveling on road surface} the jayco engineer was stating that no matter what under all conditions ie expansion joints,water sloshing,bumps,areodynamic sideforce,frontaldown force off camber tight radius turns wash boarding of dirt roadsswaying of tt THE HITCH HEIGHT OF THE 245# NEVER VARIES 1 OUNCE IT IS ALWAYS THERE AT 245# IT IS A CONSTANT A GIVEN NO FLUCTUATION PERIOD. now bob how do you justify your state ment that if the tt had 245# of constant un changing down force what dynamic event would cause the coupled to come off the ball?
Hammer7,

Under the conditions of an open coupler (or cut-off), which my second paragraph addresses in my post, I stated "some dynamic event will eventually cause the TT coupler and hitch ball to part ways"..., to state with certainty what dynamic event wasn't part of my statement. For clarification please note that I also stated "no matter how much tongue weight", I didn't state a constant un changing down force.

Based on the added detail of your follow-up post it sounds like you had a in-depth conversation with the Jayco Representative.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS