Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Slide toppers

Anyone have slide toppers on their 330rlts?
Have pictures of how they're mounted?
Thanks
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #2

Here's a few I found online:

Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #3

I do not have toppers, because I do not have slides. But what I can tell you is that they are well worth it. I have heard from countless people how much they come in handy not having to get up there and sweep off debris. If you are on the fence about getting them, my advice is DO if you can afford it.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Here's a few I found online:

Those Jayco Eagle's sure look sweet!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #5

Thanks everybody.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #6

Ernie, don't have the 330rlts but have the 33rlds. Just had them put on about 2 months ago, they are mounted just like the pics. Have not had any problem with wind noise, but can tell the differance with the sun beating down on the slide tops, much cooler. The wife and I both think that it was worth the money for them. Take care Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGirl View Post
Those Jayco Eagle's sure look sweet!
Danged right! Can hardly wait until I can get mine.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Danged right! Can hardly wait until I can get mine.
You are a lucky lady! Cheers! They look awesome!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #9

I had them installed a few months ago. Well worth the money.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGirl View Post
You are a lucky lady! Cheers! They look awesome!
I'm not so sure how lucky I'll be. It will make a rather noticeable dent in the old bank account (like a big sinkhole makes a dent in a small road). You are right, though they do look awesome! The inside looks even better.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #11

Usually, buying them with the trailer is the least expensive time to get them (unless you have to mortgage the farm with Gougem & Robbem Finance Co, of course).
Old 12-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #12

Now I am a little confused. I meet people in the parks in Az and it is about a 50 50 deal of like and dislike. My brother in law has them on a 2010 320RLDS and he dosn't like them and was talking about taking them off. They make so much noise in the wind that they have pulled in their slides at night so they could sleep.

We just had a big wind in Az a few days ago and several trailers have tattered slide covers in the park.

I think we could use them at home where we get debri from the trees and could possibly have to remove snow before running the slides in, so for us the jury is still out. In our situation, good at home, not so good in Az. Just my opinion.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Now I am a little confused. I meet people in the parks in Az and it is about a 50 50 deal of like and dislike. My brother in law has them on a 2010 320RLDS and he dosn't like them and was talking about taking them off. They make so much noise in the wind that they have pulled in their slides at night so they could sleep.

We just had a big wind in Az a few days ago and several trailers have tattered slide covers in the park.

I think we could use them at home where we get debri from the trees and could possibly have to remove snow before running the slides in, so for us the jury is still out. In our situation, good at home, not so good in Az. Just my opinion.
I would imagine if someone lives in an area that is mostly windy they might be a pain. MOst of the people I know with them - and I know a lot - have said the wind flap is insignificant and the advantage of having them far outweighs the downsides...
Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #14

There are ways to deal with the flapping that range from downright Mickey Mouse (albeit effective), such as putting beach balls under the topper to putting sheets of foam insulation between the slide roof and the topper (I kinda like that one).
Old 12-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #15

Jeannie, using beach balls and tie straps do help with the flapping. Both methods cause the fabric to streach which can also be a problem. Our last wind storm had gusts over 40 mph and lasted two days. Infact the wind is still blowing off and on here. I can hear my neighbors golf cart cover flapping in the breeze from time to time.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #16
Site Team

Here's another: http://www.awningairwedge.com

I bought a pair of these this year and have only used the once for 2 weeks. They solve the sagging problem but are some trouble to install. So far I have only used them if I am in one place for over a week.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Jeannie, using beach balls and tie straps do help with the flapping. Both methods cause the fabric to streach which can also be a problem. Our last wind storm had gusts over 40 mph and lasted two days. Infact the wind is still blowing off and on here. I can hear my neighbors golf cart cover flapping in the breeze from time to time.
I never meant to imply that beach balls weren't effective (in fact, I did say they were) but they are a rather inelegant solution. I would think not over inflating the balls would reduce the likelyhood of stretching the fabric. Tie straps also work and would encourage water to drain off the ends instead of puddling in the center but would probably be more likely to cause stretching (puddling would also cause stretching so it's sort of a catch 22).

The Airwedge looks like a good idea but the website is a bit vague. It appears to be a one size fits all product (ask any large or petite woman about that myth; stand back when you do!) and gives no dimensions. That alone would make me nervous about the product. At least, other than being difficult to install, Norty1 was able to give it an endorsement.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #18

On the Air Wedge page, if you click the info tab it says

The dimensions of the RV Awning Airwedge™ are as follows; 8 feet long, 2 feet wide, 6 inches at rear, 2 inches at front. Actual dimensions will vary depending on how much it is inflated to meet your specific needs. Our research has shown that one RV Awning Airwedge™ will give sufficient support for slide-out topper awnings up to 14 feet long.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
On the Air Wedge page, if you click the info tab it says

The dimensions of the RV Awning Airwedge™ are as follows; 8 feet long, 2 feet wide, 6 inches at rear, 2 inches at front. Actual dimensions will vary depending on how much it is inflated to meet your specific needs. Our research has shown that one RV Awning Airwedge™ will give sufficient support for slide-out topper awnings up to 14 feet long.
This old age business is getting old. I swear I looked all over for that. Thanks for helping a blind, old lady.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #20
Site Team

Here is one of the Air Wedges in place. It can be blown up on the ground and slipped into place. Does not have to be tight just snug.
Attached Thumbnails
045.jpg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote