Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2023, 06:13 PM   #1

Awning cleaning

I apologise if this has been posted and answered before.
I've tried camco products before by spraying on, rolling up and leaving, as well as trying to scrub with a brush on a pole. Is there a "hack" for cleaning an awning? Or a liquid I can buy that's proven to work? I've never had any success in the past, and standing under and scrubbing isn't an option due to bad health. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
20230922_191022.jpg  
Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:28 PM   #2

Here's the thread with varying ways to approach it.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ng-100357.html
Old 09-22-2023, 07:39 PM   #3

Thank you Grumpy. Much appreciated.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:07 AM   #4

OP, find some stuff called 30 Seconds Cleaner. Mix it up, spray on your awning and roll it up for about 5 minutes. Unroll and rinse off. It is amazing stuff. If there is any dirt still visible after that, spray it again and hit it gently with a brush (I use my car wash brush) and it should come right off and be sparkling white.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:03 AM   #5

Dawn, bleach, and water. That is what is in those “miracle” cleaners that people rave about. Get a foam cannon to apply it. Makes it easier to apply. You will need a brush too. I use my soft bristle shop push broom.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:59 AM   #6

The cleaning solution is a personal choice since they all work, some better than others. While I'm not a lazy person, I am not a fan of getting 'rained' on by my cleaning solution while standing under the awning with a pole brush. I got this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...701B/321954650

Nice tool. Works great. I already have a pretty good inventory of Ryobi stuff anyway so wasn't a stretch decision since it gets good use elsewhere around the house too.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
Dawn, bleach, and water. That is what is in those “miracle” cleaners that people rave about. Get a foam cannon to apply it. Makes it easier to apply. You will need a brush too. I use my soft bristle shop push broom.
What ratios of each do you use Kevin?
Old 09-27-2023, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillian View Post
What ratios of each do you use Kevin?
Since I use a foam cannon, I’m guessing hear. In cannon, 1/2 cup dawn, 2 tbl spoons bleach. Fill with water. If in a sprayer, for one gallon water 1/4 cup dawn, 1-2 tbl spoons bleach.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 01:32 PM   #9

We’ve always just used dawn and water. Half gallon of water 1/4 cup dawn, use our motorhome side cleaning brush fully extended reach sideways, you’re far enough away not to get wet. Brush on good solution, rinse off with water….FYI……..ALWAYS LET YOUR AWNING DRY OUT BEFORE YOU ROLL UP. If you have to roll up for travel in the rain, open and let dry out when you’re stopped or get home. Keeps a lot of the black mold away.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:34 PM   #10

Wet down the under side of the awning with a garden hose. The spray the entire underside with Spray Nine cleaner. Now roll up the awning g and wait 1 hour. After the hour open the awning ING and take a car wash brush (brush on the end of a stick and scrub the awning completely. It is amazing how easy this is and the results left me speechless.
steinborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:13 AM   #11

Since I got tired of bleach water dripping down my arms, now I take a rag- damp, not wet, with bleach, water, soap, and lay it over my car wash brush then scrub the underside. As soon as it's bright white, I rinse it off. Now I'm in the habit of opening the awning and letting it dry every time it rains.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #12

I fill a bucket with about four inches of water. I then add about a cup of oxalic acid powder (easy to find on Amazon) and 1/2 cup of Simple Green. Dip a car wash brush into it and start scrubbing. Periods of soaking will make life easier. Then, just rinse. You can wash your whole camper with this if you want.

The oxalic acid takes care of any organic stains such as bugs and leaves; the Simple Green takes care of the dirt.

This is much better for you and your awning than bleach. Oxalic acid isn't as scary as it sounds; it occurs naturally in many vegetables and is used in some tooth whiteners. Simple Green is a great environmentally friendly cleaner.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:52 PM   #13

Mr.Clean magic eraser makes a mop now. I just used it for first time yesterday. Got it from Target.

You can thank me later 😉

Wish it had longer handle though.
Toolman82 is offline   Reply With Quote