Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2023, 11:49 AM   #1

X23B Braille bumps HELP!

Hello. We discovered that water had seeped into our bunk end (the vinyl of the canopy was sticking out and that how we think water came in). We wiped up the puddle and then noticed braille bumps. I have some specific questions and I am hoping someone has answers. I can’t find info online.

1. Do you think it’s possible these are from a ONE time incident? This is a new camper to us, so I’m trying to figure out if it was previously damaged. We had it out in a storm but didn’t check it for close to a week when we discovered the water and bumps.

2. If we are catching them early, should we remove the wallpaper and sand down the board? Any idea how to fix this damage ourselves?

Photos attached. Would love any input! What would you do?
Attached Thumbnails
24BAE682-E54C-49B5-9BCC-5F290A19D32A.jpg   D38D5697-6761-459D-9D1D-7EAAD97EE865.jpg  
Rnsisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:43 PM   #2

Welcome back aboard!

I have gotten water into my bunk ends by having a little bit of fabric getting caught in the seal. It happens. I'm now more careful closing up the ends and double checking the seals. When we close up the HTT, we also make sure the windows are all closed. We have opened an end and had probably a gallon of water poor out that was sitting on the canvas, and not a drop gotten past the vinyl coated canvas.

As for the Braille, there has been a few posts on the subject. But I have never seen anything that really points any solution of what is best to do. If it was me, I would dry it and leave it. I suspect removing it now makes the whole inside look different and now you have to address the look of the interior.

The wall paper is fairly water resistant vinyl (look at your shower walls, it is the same vinyl). Most likely the water got between the backside of the wallpaper and structure. I would check your caulking all around the bunk ends (assuming this is the floor of a bunk end). Reseal as needed. I would apply a fan and maybe a dehumidifier and dry the unit. While at it, go on the roof and check the caulking and re-caulk or apply Eternabond.

If it is the flooring of the bunk-end, it may also be from cool weather camping and condensation forming under the mattress (common issue), and not being able to dry out between trips. Since we started to leave the bunk side windows cracked open 2-3 inches and the bathroom vent open an inch or so, we have not had any more condensation in the bunks.

As for leaving the side window open a bit, it allows the humidity/moisture a way to escape. I pull both side zippers to the highest point, than back them open an inch or so. In this position they are well protected from any rain, and no noticeable cool weather draft enters the bunk area.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome back aboard!

I have gotten water into my bunk ends by having a little bit of fabric getting caught in the seal. It happens. I'm now more careful closing up the ends and double checking the seals. When we close up the HTT, we also make sure the windows are all closed. We have opened an end and had probably a gallon of water poor out that was sitting on the canvas, and not a drop gotten past the vinyl coated canvas.

As for the Braille, there has been a few posts on the subject. But I have never seen anything that really points any solution of what is best to do. If it was me, I would dry it and leave it. I suspect removing it now makes the whole inside look different and now you have to address the look of the interior.

The wall paper is fairly water resistant vinyl (look at your shower walls, it is the same vinyl). Most likely the water got between the backside of the wallpaper and structure. I would check your caulking all around the bunk ends (assuming this is the floor of a bunk end). Reseal as needed. I would apply a fan and maybe a dehumidifier and dry the unit. While at it, go on the roof and check the caulking and re-caulk or apply Eternabond.

If it is the flooring of the bunk-end, it may also be from cool weather camping and condensation forming under the mattress (common issue), and not being able to dry out between trips. Since we started to leave the bunk side windows cracked open 2-3 inches and the bathroom vent open an inch or so, we have not had any more condensation in the bunks.

As for leaving the side window open a bit, it allows the humidity/moisture a way to escape. I pull both side zippers to the highest point, than back them open an inch or so. In this position they are well protected from any rain, and no noticeable cool weather draft enters the bunk area.
If it was me, I would make sure
Thank you! This is helpful. If we do anything, it will definitely affect the appearance. This is the board of the bunk end - where the mattress lays. Maybe it’s the condensation as you mentioned?

There was a puddle inside, but it seemed like it ran in once we put the end down. Maybe through the canvas? It doesn’t make much sense! Maybe it got “under” the flap on the bottom of the canvas. That’s the part that was stuck hanging out of the seam.

Did your reply all get posted? Looked like you might have had more to say. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:12 PM   #4

I think that little bit on the end was leftovers, from editing and not deleting my original train of thought.

One more thing I do, when I open the bunk ends, I adjust the canvas on the outside at the lower corner were the bunk end and HTT wall come together. I've always been concerned if it does not lay nicely, rain might get into the grove where the hinge is at.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I think that little bit on the end was leftovers, from editing and not deleting my original train of thought.

One more thing I do, when I open the bunk ends, I adjust the canvas on the outside at the lower corner were the bunk end and HTT wall come together. I've always been concerned if it does not lay nicely, rain might get into the grove where the hinge is at.
Thank you!!!
Old 04-14-2023, 08:49 AM   #6

One other way to determine if you have an ongoing issue is to use a moisture meter. These are really for checking lumber but work well enough for trailer walls. It does leave a couple of tiny pinholes where you check, but they aren't noticeable. I use one regularly to check any suspect areas, and to test to see if a fix has solved any issues (I had a long-standing issue that was finally resolved by replacing a corner molding on the exterior). It might take a while to dry out, so you want to check it over several weeks to see if it is drying, and after a period of inclement weather to see if it gets worse.
If it's dry, I would just live with what you have. Unless she's a princess, no one's going to feel those little peas under the mattress.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:59 AM   #7

Thank you!! Where can I get one of these meters?? Great idea!
Old 04-16-2023, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnsisso View Post
Thank you!! Where can I get one of these meters?? Great idea!
I ordered an in inexpensive one off Amazon. I can't see it in my order history, and it didn't come up in a general search, but there are tons there. Just search - "moisture meter drywall". I bought the pin type for about $20. They do go up to several hundred dollars, but cheap and easy is what I was looking for.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumps, bunk end, particle board, water damage, x23b