Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > News and Blogs
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2023, 11:04 PM   #1

Electrical gremlin on Jayco Eagle 280RSOK

I’m looking for some thoughts. My 2021 Jayco Eagle 280rsok electrical system is giving me fits. My batteries have been running down to dead every day. It’s parked and not being used. NOTHING is on. I have even shut the battery disconnect switch off. It still runs dead. I bought new batteries as the others were original. I put the new batteries in today at 12v and when I came back after 9 hours it was at 11.5v. I did have my generator plugged in but it was off. I noticed my negative lead to the trailer was corroded and loose so I replaced that. Thoughts and help?
Kenbarb2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 05:09 AM   #2

[QUOTE=Kenbarb2023;1131572I have even shut the battery disconnect switch off. It still runs dead. Thoughts and help?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the Forum!
The factory installed battery disconnect does not disconnect everything. I'm thinking it's a safety thing so slides and awnings etc. can't operate in transit, but emergency brakes, CO detectors, and other items will. Get a battery disconnect that mounts directly on your battery post or disconnect the battery cable. Our Pinnacle's schematic-
Attached Thumbnails
Front Compartment Wiring Diagram.jpg  
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 05:15 AM   #3

If the battery disconnect is off and the batteries are still being drained, something is still connected or the disconnect is faulty. First of all, put a battery charger on the batteries and make sure they are fully charged. Now, I would start by testing the battery disconnect. Disconnect from shore power and/or generator, turn off the battery disconnect and check for 12 volts after it. If new batteries are being drained and the disconnect is off I would make sure that there are no other connections between the batteries and the chassis. On my Seneca, it has electric steps but when I turn off the battery disconnect, the steps don't retract until I close the door so there is still a separate connection to the steps. With the battery disconnect off, I would check any 12 volt connections that I could find and see if any still have voltage. If you find any voltage I would go to my DC panel and pull all the fuses, (take a picture first for reference) and check back at the connection where you found the voltage. If the voltage is gone, slowly put the fuses back in until the voltage returns and try to trace that circuit. If the battery disconnect is off and the batteries are still being drained, something is still connected or the disconnect is faulty.

Maybe someone who has had a similar problem will chime in.
1975 Triumph TR6-in progress
"For evil to triumph, good people need do Nothing!"
dwaynebmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 08:38 AM   #4

If I may make a suggestion. Get a digital clamp-on meter that does both AC and DC amps. This one was not available when I bought mine. It has a phone app that allows you to clamp on, and watch it while you are checking at multiple places to find the drain. https://a.co/d/3OsPVSk
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote