Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2024, 07:15 AM   #1

I think I killed my battery.

Last October when I brought the camper home, I unknowingly had a draw off the battery. I left the over range hood light on, then there's other parasitic draws as well. So after 2 days I looked and noticed the battery was DEAD. I wondered and figured if may have damaged it permanently. I was new to 'camper parasitic draws,' etc.

Yesterday, with full sun in CT beating down on the solar panel, I unplugged the camper from shore power. I opened some vents and turned on my Maxxair vent fan to medium. Within 2 hours it killed my battery, it was down to 10.1v. So, I don't know if that fan was a true draw of a capable battery's power or if my battery was weak from damage and the reason why it died do fast. I've never used the fan with a 'good' battery or camper for that matter, so I don't know.

I have my original deep cycle in the house on trickle. I used it in my pop-up and had yet to tongue mount it, because I didn't really want to commit to all that weight on there.

On previous camping trips, I knew my limits with it, what I could 'do' when camping, but this big camper? I know, even if I added it to the tongue for 2 batteries, it's not what I want anymore. Too much weight for such little performance. They gotta go.

Lithium are coming down in price. There are American made, 'monster' built lithium batteries with proven track records and best choice for those who really DEPEND on them as full-timers. But, I'm a casual user who doesn't spend time in low temp camping situations and have no need or want to spend $500 on 100ah. That said, I went with a reputable import with actual component/build review, tested performance and customer support: LiTime.

They offer a group 24 sized 100ah for $299 with $50 off coupon, right now on Amazon. I had a gift certificate as well, so in the end I spent $209. -That's how much I paid for my Interstate deep cycle 4-5 years ago.

It'll be nice to swap out that heavy thing I have on the tongue for 100ah of TRUE power in (20 little pounds) of lithium.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 9.11.28 AM.jpg  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 11:12 AM   #2

Just make sure your converter is capable of charging the new battery to 100% capacity.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Just make sure your converter is capable of charging the new battery to 100% capacity.
I thought about that, especially since a there's been a recent post and information about just that, the converter. I'm going to take tomorrow to try and find my model etc. Nice the person posting the info explained exactly what would be needed to be able to charge the battery up to max. At least I know my solar set up and charge controller are set to receive it. Even at 80%...anything is better than that lead acid, boulder of a dinosaur.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:59 PM   #4

True. 80% of that battery gets you more use than a lead acid charged to 100%.

I’ve got 2 100AH LiTime batteries in my FW. I’ve only had them for a month so can’t say much beyond the fact that they seem to work. I skeptical at first but the reviews seem. I’d have liked to have heated batteries, but didn’t know that was a thing till the deal was done.
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:38 PM   #5

Finished my conversion today. I decided to get a new charger/converter with a lithium charge setting. It had the battery at 100% in just a few hours. I went with a Renogy 200ah. Taking our first trip of the season next week and we'll see how it goes.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:30 PM   #6

If you have solar it will take the battery to 100%. I have 200 watts and little use other that lights, furnace fan, bath fan, water pump and occasional computer charging. I have ended up every afternoon near 100% on my Renogy solar, battery and 100 amp battery.

I turned off my 12 volt charging circuit. If my battery got low somewhere I could plug in I can flip the breaker back on.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 08:36 AM   #7

Ah Haaaaa....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
If you have solar it will take the battery to 100%. I have 200 watts and little use other that lights, furnace fan, bath fan, water pump and occasional computer charging. I have ended up every afternoon near 100% on my Renogy solar, battery and 100 amp battery.

I turned off my 12 volt charging circuit. If my battery got low somewhere I could plug in I can flip the breaker back on.
This is exactly what I was thinking. But wasn't sure it could be done. I don't know a whole lot about my converter box, but knew the solar charge controller would charge the battery, as the settings are built into it, but wasn't sure that I had the capability to bypass the shore power charging.

My camper sits in full sun all day, here at home.

Learning more every day. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2024, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
True. 80% of that battery gets you more use than a lead acid charged to 100%.

I’ve got 2 100AH LiTime batteries in my FW. I’ve only had them for a month so can’t say much beyond the fact that they seem to work. I skeptical at first but the reviews seem. I’d have liked to have heated batteries, but didn’t know that was a thing till the deal was done.
That very popular YouTube guy, rips them all apart cheap ones and expensive ones, alike. He has a list of Chinese made batteries with better old quality for the price LiTime was on the list. I had read several places the brand was pretty dependable and had good customer service if something wasn't working, as they're supposed to.

I thought about the heated version and declined, as I never winter/cold camp and my camper is at my house where I can remove the battery off the tongue and bring it inside for the winter.

Speaking of that. What is the process for removing the battery, as far as the panel goes? I know you should never have a panel and nowhere for the energy that is accumulating, to go.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Investigated and have now confirmed, my converter is a Progressive Dynamics P4500 Series. Specifically model: PD4560WI

The answer regarding IF it could handle lithium pretty much jumped out at me upon further inspection of the sticker on the outside of the panel, located at the very lowest of low, floor level.

"NEW PROGRESSIVE ALL-IN-ONE WITH BATTERY SELECTION SWITCH"

First, I went digging through the bag/pack of all the trailer's component documentation & manuals you get on PDI day. There was nothing for any type/model of converter.

Next I looked at the model number on the inside cover of the converter. I looked up my model number and found the manual online. First, I thought I was going to have to take the front panel off to access, then realized there's a little cut-out hole, where you can stick a tiny screwdriver and flip a tiny dip switch marked LA and LI.

I'll be doing that on Friday, when my new battery arrives.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:52 PM   #10

Trying to get to 1000 post tonight ....LOL

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 11:30 AM   #11

I have questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
Last October when I brought the camper home, I unknowingly had a draw off the battery. I left the over range hood light on, then there's other parasitic draws as well. So after 2 days I looked and noticed the battery was DEAD. I wondered and figured if may have damaged it permanently. I was new to 'camper parasitic draws,' etc.

Yesterday, with full sun in CT beating down on the solar panel, I unplugged the camper from shore power. I opened some vents and turned on my Maxxair vent fan to medium. Within 2 hours it killed my battery, it was down to 10.1v. So, I don't know if that fan was a true draw of a capable battery's power or if my battery was weak from damage and the reason why it died do fast. I've never used the fan with a 'good' battery or camper for that matter, so I don't know.

I have my original deep cycle in the house on trickle. I used it in my pop-up and had yet to tongue mount it, because I didn't really want to commit to all that weight on there.

On previous camping trips, I knew my limits with it, what I could 'do' when camping, but this big camper? I know, even if I added it to the tongue for 2 batteries, it's not what I want anymore. Too much weight for such little performance. They gotta go.

Lithium are coming down in price. There are American made, 'monster' built lithium batteries with proven track records and best choice for those who really DEPEND on them as full-timers. But, I'm a casual user who doesn't spend time in low temp camping situations and have no need or want to spend $500 on 100ah. That said, I went with a reputable import with actual component/build review, tested performance and customer support: LiTime.

They offer a group 24 sized 100ah for $299 with $50 off coupon, right now on Amazon. I had a gift certificate as well, so in the end I spent $209. -That's how much I paid for my Interstate deep cycle 4-5 years ago.

It'll be nice to swap out that heavy thing I have on the tongue for 100ah of TRUE power in (20 little pounds) of lithium.
After having this battery in the house all winter, keeping it on trickle charge, I find when I remove the charger, it drops right down to 11.8.

Now, I have questions. First, I was surprised at how DEAD my battery became in such a short amount of time. There's no way a fan killed it THAT hard, right?

I'm not new to batteries. I have another Interstate deep cycle same size, that I've used for several seasons, since 2021. I used it to sometimes levels than I shouldn't have, but with good care in the off season, still today it's sitting (off the charger) at a hearty 12.81.

This 'new' battery, same size, same brand is DEAD...DEAD. I suspect it may not have been 'good' from the start?

Would you think my dealer, perhaps would give up a replacement battery to me?
Old 04-01-2024, 11:35 AM   #12

Quote:
After having this battery in the house all winter, keeping it on trickle charge, I find when I remove the charger, it drops right down to 11.8.

Now, I have questions. First, I was surprised at how DEAD my battery became in such a short amount of time. There's no way a fan killed it THAT hard, right?

I'm not new to batteries. I have another Interstate deep cycle same size, that I've used for several seasons, since 2021. I used it to sometimes levels than I shouldn't have, but with good care in the off season, still today it's sitting (off the charger) at a hearty 12.81.

This 'new' battery, same size, same brand is DEAD...DEAD. I suspect it may not have been 'good' from the start?

All they can do is say no, you are no further behind. There's definitely issues somewhere. Not sure if it's worth getting it load tested first.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:06 PM   #13

Most lead deep discharge are only 1 year or 6 months.

Load testing is the way to go to make sure and asking costs nothing.

I love the fact that Renogy Lithium gives me bluetooth status all the time, light weight and will shut itself off before any damage!!!!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:45 PM   #14

I did send and email, telling of the battery, how I took care of it and now what it is reading.

Honestly, I don't plan on using a new lead acid (if they were to replace mine) But hey...I paid for it, so I should at least have one that I can sell, if I choose.

As far as your new battery, it sounds awesome. My new lithium battery (LiTime) has BMS, but no bluetooth. I was trying to get into the battery at the best possible cost for what I figured was a reputable battery. I have quick, 'look-see' voltage level access via my charge controller, just inside the front door, at least.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:21 PM   #15

You have more of an issue than the battery. At high speed, that fan pulls 4 amps. So, 8 amp hours in two hours. I’m thinking your solar is either not connected or just not working at all. If you checked the battery voltage with sun, then the solar is not working at all. Also, what was the battery voltage before you turned on the fan?
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 03:58 AM   #16

Quote:

Dealer got back to me, they're giving me a new battery.

Do I NEED it? No. I've gone lithium, but I'll sell it on FB Marketplace and put the $ toward something else I might need/want for the camper. After all, I paid for it, right?
Old 04-05-2024, 06:38 AM   #17
Site Team

Another "plug" for it does not hurt to ask!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Dealer got back to me, they're giving me a new battery.

Do I NEED it? No. I've gone lithium, but I'll sell it on FB Marketplace and put the $ toward something else I might need/want for the camper. After all, I paid for it, right?
That's great news, and good service from the dealer. Hopefully your future dealings with them will continue to be positive!

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:26 AM   #19

I hope so. Yes, so far they’ve been decent…nothing shady right from the start of shopping, as far as I can tell.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Another "plug" for it does not hurt to ask!
It sure is!