Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2022, 08:37 PM   #1

Why Electrical outlet won’t work

I have a 2015 Precept 31ul. I was camping this past weekend and have a fancy coffee maker. It was ejecting a coffee pod and electrical outlet pluged into lost power. It is connected to gfi from bathroom. I checked the gfi and it did not trip, but I put to test and it worked. I turned off breaker and turned back on.
The outlet Gfi in bath works, the next outlet in line works, but the 3 rd in line and 4th in line, thelast one, have no power. I pulled out 3rd and 4th receptacles and tested black wires and not getting any reading. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can’t find an electrical diagram anywhere. The 3rd & 4th receptables seem to be separately wired, but no other gfi found, yet they both have stickers saying that they are gfi protected.
Rocknrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:05 AM   #2

Might be that they were not wired to the bathroom GFI. I'd check the fuse panel for a tripped breaker. Or, do you have any outside outlets that have a GFI?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 12:55 PM   #3

Thanks, I will check for another gfci outside. The outlets that suddenly quit working are wired independently from each other. Because they are ac, I figured they are hooked to breaker, and only dc lighting and such have fuses. Breakers all seemed to be good.
I’m going to investigate a bit more with volt meter.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #4

3rd socket bad maybe? Keeping power from the 4th? Might have overloaded it with that fancy smancy coffee maker.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:09 PM   #5

Can you switch out another "known working" socket?
Old 10-26-2022, 01:43 PM   #6

I would check the 2nd outlet for a broken or disconnected neutral
Old 10-26-2022, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknrick View Post
The outlet Gfi in bath works, the next outlet in line works, but the 3 rd in line and 4th in line, thelast one, have no power. I pulled out 3rd and 4th receptacles and tested black wires and not getting any reading.
I would recommend you buy a voltage tester. The tester will let you quickly track the voltage along your circuit at each access point. I would use it to check the black wire coming out of the 2nd outlet. If there is no voltage coming out you have located the problem, which is probably a loose connection.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2022, 06:14 PM   #8

It turns out, there a junction box under the sink area, but below the kitchen drawsers. I saw two wrapped cables coming out one side of the box. It appeared they were headed towards the two outlets not getting electricity. I pulled cap and low and behold, wrapped white and wrapped blacks were stuffed in box together and the black got to hot from coffee pot and electric floor heater, and melted into white. A small wire hit white and rendered no power to outlets. Separated, put new cap on blacks, and power restored. Thanks for making to think more on it.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:25 PM   #9

Found the problem. Running a coffee pot and electric heater not a good idea. Heated the two blk wires with main wire, and heated up and melted into Neutrals(white), must of created an arc and stopped the current to two outlets.
I separated the two spliced junctions, and recapped the blacks, turned back on power, and bingo. All systems go.
Thanks for making me think more on it.
I found this problem under kitchen drawers and in junction box, after pulling cover off JB. Those two outlets were wired and not to GfI, just not directly anyhow. Bottom line! I’m back in business.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:28 PM   #10

Lucky duck! Glad you got it fingered outl
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:48 AM   #11

Good job!
Old 10-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknrick View Post
I have a 2015 Precept 31ul. I was camping this past weekend and have a fancy coffee maker. It was ejecting a coffee pod and electrical outlet pluged into lost power. It is connected to gfi from bathroom. I checked the gfi and it did not trip, but I put to test and it worked. I turned off breaker and turned back on.
The outlet Gfi in bath works, the next outlet in line works, but the 3 rd in line and 4th in line, thelast one, have no power. I pulled out 3rd and 4th receptacles and tested black wires and not getting any reading. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can’t find an electrical diagram anywhere. The 3rd & 4th receptables seem to be separately wired, but no other gfi found, yet they both have stickers saying that they are gfi protected.
Hey I see you found it. Way to go!!

Quick thought: You should also check the 2nd outlet in the line. A loose wire there, or other failure, could cause your problem, as I understand it.

Good luck!

Roger

P.S. I'm not wild about the AC outlets in my Jayco. They are sometimes called a "self contained" outlet, with no need to strip wires. They also don't need an electric box. It can be tough to replace them with 'standard' outlets because you often don't have enough slack to work with. Plus you have to mount a box as well; that's not so bad.

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote