Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

MY in-house wifi

First a huge tip-o-the-lid to "Cosmik Debris" and "Mustang65" for plowing this field for me!
I started by buying an EnGenius ENS202. And after struggling with it for a few hours I called their tech support (which is excellent) I was unable to enter the setup page. We decided that it was defective so I returned it for a replacement. They were out of that model so I got an ENH202. The difference seems to be that the ENS is directional but more sensitive where the ENH is Omni-directional and a little less sensitive. To shorten the story, after a bit more struggling I was able to access the setup page and it turns out the first one was probably not defective (cockpit error). To round out the list of "toys" I bought a wireless router for $19.

All that aside, this is pretty cool stuff. I set it up in the home office for a few days playing with it and getting to know the stuff. I was amazed how many MORE wireless routers my bridge could detect than the notebook,iPad and cellphone are able to see. The notebook being the best of that list can see maybe a dozen. The EnGenius can pick 20 or more. Cool Stuff!
I have a good mounting point for the bridge since I already have a flag pole. This is the first outing with the kit and I'm routing the cat5 cable past the rubber sweeps on the slide, good enough for now. It enters at the rear right next to the ent center which has several electrical outlets, some cabinets where this stuff will eventually live and some counter space (handy for now).
Tho the wifi here at Lone Star Jellystone is really slow and seems to go down each night I am getting an excellent in-house signal. The park signal would be pretty weak without my kit to help it along.
I'm including a couple of pics of the outside piece and the router.
This is a great way to solve the weak park wifi but unfortunately doesn't solve a SLOW park signal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	18636

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	18637

Feel free to ask any Q's you might have.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Site Team

I am glad it worked out for you. I was amazed at how many ADDITIONAL Wi-Fi signals it is able to detect. It really does help a lot with the CG signals, if the CG has more than one AP I usually do speed tests on them all and pick the best one, which is usually the one with the least number of RV's around it. A new problem is in the last few years there are a lot of smart phones that are always polling the AP and some have apps running in the background which takes a chunk out of the speed.

ENJOY!!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:29 PM   #3

Great idea... Thanks for sharing.

Traveling the US full-time
The Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers227 View Post
Great idea... Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, but Cosmik and Mustang were the ground breakers for me. I'm just a copycat.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 06-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Thanks, but Cosmik and Mustang were the ground breakers for me. I'm just a copycat.
How has it worked for you thus far?

I just purchased one and will be setting up mine when it gets here.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #6

Hey sask. This past weekend was my first outing with it. A current issue is that I can access the bridge setup with the iPad (via the router) only at home. In the park I have to use the notebook and CAT5 to get the config page. A puzzle but I'm working on it. The park wifi was slow so it didn't do too much for me but I did verify that I can connect. Here at the house I connect to my existing wifi with it and it's solid.
At this point I'm pleased with it. No wifi at the next CG so probably take longer to get my final answers. Thinking about loading the kit into my truck and parking in front of the local Starbuck to tinker.
Before jumping in I read Mustang and Cosmik's postings several times to try to understand how this stuff works. Can't say I understand but I've made it work.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B