Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #1

Honda Pilot and x17z

Recently purchased our first TT, a 2015 x17z, and pull it with a 2015 Honda Pilot AWD with a WDH. Knew gas mileage would drop, but was disappointed at 9mpg on our first trip. After returning home, we added a sway bar and lowered the ball height on the hitch, we'll see if that helps handling on the next trip. Any other insights, suggestions or experience using a Pilot to tow this model? How fast are you driving? Also wish the x17z's bumper could support a bike rack!
IsaacNationDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

That's not bad for a little V6 and a TT. Just due to the nature of pulling the trailer with a big frontage behind you, you will never get decent mileage with a gasser. It's been documented that you are going to get roughly 8-10 mpg, regardless of the tow vehicle or engine size.
jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Congratulations! And welcome!

Mileage will be dismal towing any travel trailer. It's all about wind resistance vs. power. You are driving a brick, towing a bigger brick. Typically, depending on tow vehicle and weight of trailer one could see 8 mpg to 12 mpg.

My old rig was a 2003 Trailblazer towing a 2003 Kiwi 17a (ancestor of the X17Z). I often got 12 mpg. When I got the X20E and towed with the Trailblazer the first summer, I got 8 mpg. I get 10 towing the X20E with my Sierra.

EDIT: I just thought I'd ask what you are carrying in the back of your Pilot? Do you have kids? If not could you put the back seat down and remove the front wheels from the bikes and use a fork mount on a 2x4?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #4

I have seeing a lot of people report 10 mpg for gas powered vehicles.... I have the impression that if most of the trip is on a flat, the consumption will be very close independent of the "Rig" for most of the gas will be burned to brake the air resistance which should be pretty the same doesn't matter if you are towing a 30' travel trailer with a 6.0 V8 or a 17' travel trailer with a 3.0 V6.... an extreme case I saw was a BMW X5 (4.4V8) towing a 31 Airstream (8300 lbs) reporting 10 mpg too.... That being said I'm curious to hear other people experiences....

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

Two boys; we stowed the 4 bikes in x17z, laid the dinette and sofa flat and stacked bikes on top, layered with blankets. It works, but it's a major pain and something eventually will get damaged/stratched.

Thanks for your comments! I was beginning to think I needed to get a different tow vehicle, but looks like poor gas mileage is just part of the camping package regardless of vehicle.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #6

Yep...We usually get anywhere from 8-11 MPG's depending on terrain and wind, and weather, etc...Too many variable in play. Worst we ever got was 7mpg going into 30-mph headwind through rolling hills....You'll be fine.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacNationDad View Post
Two boys; we stowed the 4 bikes in x17z, laid the dinette and sofa flat and stacked bikes on top, layered with blankets. It works, but it's a major pain and something eventually will get damaged/stratched.

Thanks for your comments! I was beginning to think I needed to get a different tow vehicle, but looks like poor gas mileage is just part of the camping package regardless of vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
Yep...We usually get anywhere from 8-11 MPG's depending on terrain and wind, and weather, etc...Too many variable in play. Worst we ever got was 7mpg going into 30-mph headwind through rolling hills....You'll be fine.
Any speed concerns? 60 - 65 mph?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #8

The faster you go, the more gas you'll burn, but with our midsize v6 tow vehicle, we do ok going 60-65. Keep it out of overdrive. If you hit the hills and heavy wind, and start to feel it struggling, go a gear lower--your engine might spin at 3500rpm's or so, but it'll be fine.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #9

Speed concerns?

Yep... plenty.. Don't be THAT GUY... in the fast lane, swerving around traffic, going 80mph.

Just the fact that you are towing a camper already puts you more into the danger zone for accidents. Take it easy... Only go as fast as you are comfortable with.. Your max speed should be no more than 65mph.. Personally, mine is 60mph (but that is just me).

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #10

Just remember that wind resistance is exponential with speed... which means that double the speed may be 4 or more times the resistance power. So the difference between driving 55mph and 65mph (18%) can translate to a 30% increase in fuel consumption....
That is the reason why when driving @ 70mph (not towing) you are just touching the throttle and to drive @ 140 mph you are at maximum power...

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Speed concerns?

Yep... plenty.. Don't be THAT GUY... in the fast lane, swerving around traffic, going 80mph.

Just the fact that you are towing a camper already puts you more into the danger zone for accidents. Take it easy... Only go as fast as you are comfortable with.. Your max speed should be no more than 65mph.. Personally, mine is 60mph (but that is just me).
x2
Tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #12

Might want to check your Honda manual. I know for the Ridgeline Honda doesn't want you to use a WDH. Not sure if its the same for the Pilot.

Can't for the life of me find anything that ever said 'why' Honda doesn't recommend a WDH for a Ridgeline either ....

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Might want to check your Honda manual. I know for the Ridgeline Honda doesn't want you to use a WDH. Not sure if its the same for the Pilot.

Can't for the life of me find anything that ever said 'why' Honda doesn't recommend a WDH for a Ridgeline either ....
Something along the lines of "An improperly installed WDH can cause handling problems."

Most folks on the Ridgeline forums towing heavy loads use one. Including myself.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Something along the lines of "An improperly installed WDH can cause handling problems."

Most folks on the Ridgeline forums towing heavy loads use one. Including myself.
My Pilot manual says same thing. I can attest to the poor handling with an improperly fitted WDH...but we've made some adjustments since that first trip so it should be better going forward...but I imagine any vehicle will handle poorly if WDH is used improperly! Sounds like CYA language to keep lawsuits at bay...
Old 08-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #15

We have a 2012 Honda Pilot and we tow our Jayco Skylark with it. The Skylark is about 3500 pounds. I tow between 55 and 65 mph trying to stay about 62 mph. Depending upon terrain I get 10-14 mpg.

A few tricks I use are:

1. Don't use the cruise control. It will downshift for even slight hills and really suck the gas.

2. Drive a little more like a trucker. Let it roll going down hill and bleed speed going up hill while staying within the speed limits.

3. Drive like there is a raw egg under your foot. Take your time accelerating.

4. Anticipate stops and coast to them.

5. Watch the rpm. The Pilot uses variable cylinder technology to conserve fuel. I find there are times when the Pilot will stay at a higher rpm on level ground than what it needs. If your feather your foot off the gas pedal slightly the Pilot will up shift, lowering the rpm and increasing the gas mileage while staying at the same speed.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacNationDad View Post
Yeah, because we've always had SUVs, we stood ours up inside the trailer for the 10 years we had our Kiwi 17A. The last summer we had that trailer the bikes shifted and scratched the refrigerator door. I now carry the bikes in the bed of the truck.

You could carry 2 bikes on the front of your Pilot and buy a rack that attaches above the propane tanks and carry 2 there.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
We have a 2012 Honda Pilot and we tow our Jayco Skylark with it. The Skylark is about 3500 pounds. I tow between 55 and 65 mph trying to stay about 62 mph. Depending upon terrain I get 10-14 mpg.

A few tricks I use are:

1. Don't use the cruise control. It will downshift for even slight hills and really suck the gas.

2. Drive a little more like a trucker. Let it roll going down hill and bleed speed going up hill while staying within the speed limits.

3. Drive like there is a raw egg under your foot. Take your time accelerating.

4. Anticipate stops and coast to them.

5. Watch the rpm. The Pilot uses variable cylinder technology to conserve fuel. I find there are times when the Pilot will stay at a higher rpm on level ground than what it needs. If your feather your foot off the gas pedal slightly the Pilot will up shift, lowering the rpm and increasing the gas mileage while staying at the same speed.
Great tips! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #18

We had the same combination of a 2009 Honda Pilot AWD and a 2012 X17Z, with a WDH and a friction sway bar. Towed from NJ to Utah with no issues. The "sweet spot" with speed seemed to be around 62 mph if I remember correctly. After that the mileage really started to drop off. Depending on head winds and/or cross winds, we got between 9-12 mpg.

Tags
honda pilot, mpg, mph, wdh, x17z