Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Q about Converter

We have the Progressive Dynamics PD4590 converter. I was looking at the fuses yesterday to make sure I had some of everything I might need. There's a green LED blinking that's visible through a square hole with a small pushbutton next to it. It's labeled "Wizard Mode Button". OK, the manual tells me that I can select the battery charging mode by pushing the button.
Wait a minute, why is it blinking now? Battery is disconnected and no shore power.
I'm guessing there's some kind of battery in the converter to keep something alive during no power situations. Manual doesn't mention it.
Maybe it's magic, my converter can charge my battery even tho there's no A/C or battery.
Apart from wishing you had a "magic converter" too, any guesses about the blinking LED?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #2

That green LED is telling you the state of the converter; how fast it is charging your battery. Your battery is providing the current for the LED, but the draw is next to nothing and not really a concern. When not connected to AC power, the blinking LED is telling you what the converter would be doing if it were connected. This explains the blinking:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOOST MODE – Indicated by green LED remaining on. The output voltage is 14.4VDC to rapidly recharge the battery up to 90% of full charge.
NORMAL MODE – When the battery is between 50% and 90% charged, the green LED will flash once per second. When the battery has reached
90% of full charge the green LED will flash 2 - 3 times per second. In this mode the output voltage is 13.6VDC and the converter is safely completing
the charge of the battery.
STORAGE MODE – Indicated by green LED flashing every 6 - 8 seconds. In this mode the output voltage has been lowered to 13.2VDC, the RV
battery is fully charged and the converter is maintaining the charge.
MANUAL BUTTON - The manual button has been provided to allow the operator to temporarily override the converter (not recommended) or to
verify the converter is operating properly. For manual operation, Press and Hold the button. The indicator light will soon remain “ON” indicating Boost
Mode. Continue to hold the button and the light will blink rapidly indicating the converter is in the Normal Mode. Continue to hold the button until the
light blinks slowly indicating the converter is now in the Storage Mode. After the manual button is released the converter will stay in the selected
mode. When the battery charge status changes, the converter will return to the automatic mode of operation to prevent damage to the battery.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since your LED light is blinking, your battery disconnect switch must be installed between the converter and the trailer DC power distribution. If the battery disconnect was between the battery and the converter, the LED would not be lit.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

Thanks RV, I think you're on the right trail here. I went back and read more in the installation instructions and it appears that there is a direct feed from the battery that by-passes the disconnect switch. No idea why tho.
This is from the manual:
For installations incorporating an external DC disconnect switch, connect battery POS (+) and the
BATTERY POS. + lug to the same pole on the external disconnect switch. Remove the JUMPER. Connect the ALTERNATE
BATTERY POS. + to the other pole on the external disconnect switch.

Next time I'm at the storage I'll look a bit closer and verify. I assumed the OFF on my battery switch meant OFF. It seems that it "almost" does.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

I sort of like having the disconnect switch between the converter and the DC distribution. That way, I can cut off DC power consumption when storing the trailer, but I can plug in the trailer to charge up the battery(s). If the switch were between the battery and the converter, you could still plug in the trailer and maybe think your batteries were being charged, but if the switch were off no juice would get to them.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

Yeah, that's a good point, RV.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B