Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 03:41 AM   #1

Hitch height question

When we picked up our travel trailer from the dealer last month we had a Toyota Tundra. We have since traded that in for a new F150. The WD hitch was set up by the dealer during the PDI. What I was wondering is do I need to change the height of the hitch for my new truck. Reason I was wondering was I have a Reese WD hitch. The dealer said to use the second link of chain as this is the correct setting for proper weight distribution. When connected the second link with my new truck there was absolutely no tightness when connecting. I switched to the third link and it felt like it did on the second link with my old truck.

I hope this isn't confusing. Anyways, should I contact the dealer and possibly drive it over to have it looked at? Or is this something I should be able to quickly remedy myself? I went through the stack of paperwork I received but I have nothing on the WD hitch. Also spent some time tooling around youtube but never really found what I was looking for.
fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:22 AM   #2

It will likely need adjusted for the new truck. If you go to the Reese website, you can download the literature for installing and setting up your model of hitch. I had to do mine when switching to a new truck last year. I wouldn't call it quick to remedy, but it is not that hard in my opinion. By doing it myself, I know it is done right.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:58 AM   #3

I just hooked mine up to my new truck yesterday and I had to not only change links but I had to change the shank as mine wasn't adjustable enough to lower it where I needed to. For me first was to level trailer front to rear measuring framein front and rear. Then measure to roughly top of tongue on trailer where hitch ball seats. then take that measurement and transfer it to where the top of my ball was on truck and adjust the head on the shank to that height. Mine has toothed groove spacers to adjust the head angle for my spring bars to end up looking parallel with trailer frame once they are adjusted to put enough tension so that weight is put back onto the front of my truck.
I had to readjust head angle once and ended up 8 links from bar to make the weight transfer right. Hope this helps
Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #4

Ok, kind of what I figured. I'm going to see what manual I can download from Reese and then get it leveled. Thanks.
fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote