Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Reese Titan slider hitch

I have the Reese titan slider hitch in my short bed. From day one I have had a problem unlocking and locking the slider. I chock the tires and move truck back and forth and my better half cannot move handle. Yesterday I had her jockey truck and it took me all I had to unlock. Than when slide back same thing to lock in place. After unhitched I tried moving the handle to slide the hitch and when u move the handle it moves the hitch some to unlock. It seems that the locking pins are not aligned right. There is no way one person can unlock and slide this hitch. I would think u should be able to walk back unlock and than move truck to slide and than just relock. Maybe just moving the truck a tiny bit but not having to jockey and pull like I do. Anyone having a problem with the titan?
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #2

Reese Titan slider hitch

I do.

Lube the hell out of it.
Lube the jaws, lube the pin, lube the gears.
Then experiment with how high you are lifting the pin box off the hitch. You need just a little 'air' between the plate and the hitch. If the pin is pulling up or pressing down on the hitch the handle will bind. And as you have discovered, if the truck is pulling forward or pressing back too hard it will be tight as well.

One thing my dealer said 'it gets easier as the hitch gets broken in.' I've had mine about a year now and I rarely have to fight it anymore.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #3

I have a miserable time with mine too, even without the 5er attached. As BuddyRay suggests, I've lubed it like crazy, and while that helped a bit, it's still difficult to work. All that said, I'm not overly concerned about it as I've found that I really don't need the slider - I've only used it twice, and both of those times were 'practice' vs. necessity.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

Like said I have also found taking the weight off makes unlocking the jaw easy. The slider part has to be used on mine. My FW is 8.1/2 ft wide and I have a very tight back in turn. With FW unhitched and you pull handle to unlock the hitch moves slightly forward while unlocking. I would think that is not right that the pins should come straight up and hitch not move. Connected with weight on the pins seem to be wedged in place. Even with DW moving truck back an forth it took all I had to unlock and sooner or later the handle will break. Once unlocked it will slide easy but also is a job to lock into maneuver position. Now that it is on my rental site till summer I have time to figure it out. I emailed Reese and waiting for reply.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote