Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

2007 23b... digital thermostat?? Camping w newborn baby, looking for reliable heat se

This upcoming camping season we will be camping with a newborn baby (at least that's the plan.... lol). My main concern now is temp control.

In the spring and fall I'm always struggling to set the propane heat to the right temp because the thermostat it so touchy.

Is it possible to change it to a digital for a more precise setting?

And, would it even be a useful upgrade? With the tent ends causing so much heat loss, what are the chances the thermostat even has an accurate read of the inside temp??

I could just close up the bunk ends for more insulation but with a dog and a 3 year old... space is getting tight....

PS. We also have used a ceramic heater but I feel like that never really warms up the entire camper... just the area it's pointed towards.

Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #2

I use the pop up gizmos on the tent ends and an oil filled space heater and it's very comfortable. I've never used the propane heater or a ceramic heater.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #3

My experience: I swapped out my original dial type t'stat for a digital type, and found it closed up the gap swing by several degrees. However, what seems to work best for me - in my mild climate - is to use an aux. electric heater BUT turn on the campers fan - to operate full time vs the auto setting.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #4

There has been a lot of people swapping out the digital with seemingly good results, its a mod i have planned for this year for sure.

However in the meantime i would recommend an electrical oil heater as they are quite slick.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I use the pop up gizmos on the tent ends and an oil filled space heater and it's very comfortable. I've never used the propane heater or a ceramic heater.

Does this use less power than a ceramic heater? I had issues with some fall camping (New England... low 40s at night), staying warm, and not losing electricity....

Old 02-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm9301 View Post
There has been a lot of people swapping out the digital with seemingly good results, its a mod i have planned for this year for sure.

However in the meantime i would recommend an electrical oil heater as they are quite slick.

Do oil heaters use less electricity? We've had issues with the ceramic blower causing us to lose power if I had it on too high during the cold fall nights (New England... low 40s....)

Old 02-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersIsles View Post
Do oil heaters use less electricity? We've had issues with the ceramic blower causing us to lose power if I had it on too high during the cold fall nights (New England... low 40s....)

Electric heaters are rated by watts and all the good ones pull pretty much the same juice. You should be able to adequately heat your hybrid with 2 electric heaters. Personally I would choose a couple of ceramic heaters as they are safe and relatively quite. Of course you should also upgrade the tstate to a digital which will give you better control of the set point.

Now the reality check. You bought a hybrid with ends that are basically tents. You are not going to be able to maintain an even heat throughout the RV. With that said, we camped many a nite at temps at or below freezing in a popup and with sleeping bags for the kids in the end, everyone was cozy warm. 40 is not cold, just cool. You will be fine.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:44 AM   #8

Quick answer: yes, do it. You'll be glad you did. It's fairly inexpensive, it's easy to do and you'll get much better temperature control overall. I set ours at 70, the furnace comes on at about 69 and shuts off at 71. With the original thermostat there seemed to be no rhyme-or-reason when it would come on or shut off. Most of the time I had to shut it off manually.

That said, I did use a ceramic heater to help with the rear bunk during a trip last fall.

So much for the quick answer..... ;-)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #9

I put in a cheap digital thermastat. It's easy to do. I did it because broke the OEM thermastat. Key thing to remember it has to be battery operated.

I use a single ceramic heater with no issues. At night I put it on the stove, and have a small 12v fan that is plugged into the 12V port at the tv, it moves the warm air around nicely.

As for blowing the circuit breaker. What breaker are you blowing? The main 30 amp breaker? Or just a branch breaker? A 100 watt heater pulls about 12 amps of power. You need to watch what else you have turned on at the same time.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
Site Team

I would go electric.

Hunter 24 in. 1500-Watt Digital Ceramic Tower Heater with Remote Control-HPQ15C-EA - The Home Depot

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

100 watt

I don't think a 100 watt heater pulls 12 amps
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #12

Looks like he left out a 0. a 100 watt heater is for a fish tank !
mrfixit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbob View Post
I don't think a 100 watt heater pulls 12 amps
That was a fat fingered and skipped a 5, aka should have been 1500 watt. This is what happens when you do not proof read before posting.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #14

I wouldn't worry, we parents tend to keep it warmer than necessary for newborns anyway. They like it a little cooler than mom and dad, say mid 60's is fine.
RogerSwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:01 PM   #15

We introduced our oldest to camping when she was only 4 to 6 weeks old. It was a small, 17' Kit camper. First night with her, the heat went out and it snowed out. First child, we were freaking out, but learned that babies are very resilient, she slept with us in our double wide sleeping bag and was toasty warm. We fixed the heat in the morning in 3" of snow.
Gsansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote