Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #1

Stove top burner issue...

We recently purchased a Bungalow 40BHQS. It came with a 20" Standalone Stainless Steel Range made by Brown. When the unit was demoed, I do not remember this issue. I really don't remember the dealer demoing different flame settings, just how to light the burners. The issue only occurs when turning the knob from the Lite position.

The range has a 4 burner Stove Top with electronic ignition. To light the burners, the knob is pushed in and turned to Lite. The igniter clicks/sparks whenever the knob is pushed in no matter where the knob is turned. The issue we are having only occurs with the front burners. The burners light as expected. When releasing the knob, the igniter stops clicking/igniting. However, when we turn the knob to high and anywhere else to the right of high, the clicking begins again and clicks continually. The burner stays lit, but the clicking is annoying and I can't imagine it is good for the igniter to spark continually.

There is a FAQ on Brown's web site that discusses a nuisance spark after lighting the burners.

There are 3 possible reasons:
1 - Improperly grounded or reversed polarity electrical outlet.
I would expect that this would effect all the burners not just the front burners.

2. Spark switch has come loose from the valve.
This is possible, however nothing seems loose.

3. Spark igniter or module is defective.
This is possible too, except it seems like the Spark igniter fires all 4 burners at the same time. So I would expect it would be a problem with all 4 burners, not just the front burners.

About the only other thing I could think of was a defective knob, but switching knobs with the working burners did not resolve the issue. I know, it was a stretch.

I did email Brown's Service Department, but I am not hopeful for a useful response. I have not contacted the dealer yet. It's a Destination Trailer that we would rather not move. If we do have to return it to the dealer for service (they do have a mobile service, but apparently Jayco has been trying to limit mobile service for Warranty work according to our salesman), I'd rather wait until we have multiple warranty issues for them to work on.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #2

Repair update...

I ended up calling the stove manufacturer and they sent out a local repair technician to replace the switches for the igniter. It turns out the switches weren't properly aligned. Most likely the original switches were good, but he replaced them anyway since the manufacturer sent a new switch harness. He left the old switches with us since he thought they were probably good.

I'm guessing they were either installed wrong at the factory or they got out of alignment during construction or travel.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote