Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #1

Greyhawk 29MV Rear TV Mod

Hey Gang,

So I'm thinking of doing this mod next month. For those of us w/ my model rig, we all know that the TV angle sucks back there. My dealer put some pad/foam along the top of the bracket to sorta force the TV down and to the right but its really not enough to get a good picture out of the TV.

So, I found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1YX7EB80E4EIU

I like that the bracket to the TV seems to be easily modifiable depending on the TV, but most important is how the wall mount actually mounts to the wall. If you look at it, it mounts on what looks like a single vertical strip of fasteners. What I'm WONDERING is, if I take the screws that come w/ the mount (I'm assuming they're going to be some form of wood screw to tie into a 2x4 behind a wall) and replace them with bolts/washers, would the mount hold onto the bracket that is already behind the MV's TV? Obviously I'd have to drill some new holes down the center of the existing TV bracket, but if this works ....

I've been staring at this for a few days now and I'm thinking for $25 + the cost of the bolts and washers I'd need, seems like a no-brainer to try. I'm not sure how much run of wire I have for the TV available to me, but I fished around in the box behind the bracket and it looks like they tied my wires off following the frame along the top of the cut-out. I think I'll have enough to at least get this mounted and angled down and two the right; any further articulation would just be a bonus.

What do you guys think?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #2

I too have thought about this. Maybe mount the bracket to the side wall next to the cabinet bank if there is room. From the photo of the bracket there seems to be a tilt setting there too. The bracket arm would tuck inside cabinet for travel and TV would look almost identical to what we have now when stowed.

MH not available to check measurements, but this may be another option utilizing bracket from Amazon you mentioned. Also not sure if there is a stud available in the wall to mount to.

2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #3

I had thought about that a little, but I came back to the bolts and existing plate b/c it seemed I could get it more sturdy that way w/o going into a wall and wondering.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

I bought a very similar mount for the old coach. You're right - there are screws that'll go in vertically. If there's no meat "wood" in the existing location to screw into, then consider something similar to what you'd do in drywall: molly bolts.

Or see if you can find a way to slide a backer behind hit to "pinch" it to the wall. Or even some of 3M's High Strength adhesive tape, along with some molly bolts.

Good news is that today's TV's aren't that heavy.

Just some thoughts...
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #5

I just figure the existing plate behind the TV is accessible, it'll bear the weight of the TV just fine, and I can keep an eye on the bolt tightness from time to time due to the accessibility.

I've never used a molly that didn't work its way out of the wall if you ask it to do more then hold stationary objects. Just my experience.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:21 AM   #6

I also bought a new bracket and was going to replace the existing but then I decided to try using 1/4 inch washers to angle the TV screen. It worked and can lay or sit in bed and watch TV with no problem.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #7

Looks like it should work fine ! You can do it !!
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #8

I have a 31DS, the tv was at a bad angle also. I simply put some plastic spacers on the 2 top mounting screws on the bracket. Angled the tv enough to watch from bed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0468.jpg  
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #9

Had a similar problem in the old coach. I cut some wedges out of wood to really get a good downward angle. Grabbed some longer metric screws from the hardware store (don't recall if they were M6 or M8) and put it all back together.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 AM   #10

FWIW I perfomed the mod using the original Amazon part. It came out pretty good; the TV is definitely more usable now.

I used metric #7 bolts with some 1/4" fender washers and lock nuts on the nutside/rear of the plate and some regular washers on the bolt head side of the plate. Got some titanium drill bits to drill the required holes into the plate - easy peasy.

The only thing I wish I could have done differently; my backplate behind the TV has a elongated part that is needed/used for the TV mount I purchased. This elongated part is off center; so my TV mount is not centered either. Consequently maybe 1" of the TV is in front of the armoir door when the TV mount is fully collapsed. Also b/c the mount is offcenter the plate, the you can see behind the TV into the cavity of the furniture on the left side of the TV. Again, when fully collapsed.

Those two negatives aside, I don't really care about them as I can now extend the TV out a good 1.5' closer to where my eyes are, and I can angle the TV down so I can see it crystal clear. The TV is now 100% usable. If you collapse the TV mount to its most flat position, you can still flip the TV up to get at the storage cubby behind it too.

Jayco provided enough cable run in my unit; that was a nice find. I decided not to use the RCA plugs b/c I'll never run a DVD off the cab head unit into my rear TV. The PQ is just abysmal sending all the video signal through the one yellow RCA cable. I'm not sure why the even bothered. Any time we watch a video we use my iPad --> HDMI --> TV.

Oh, I also wrap a bungie cord on the backplate, around the mount arms, and back to the backplate when stowing the TV for getting underway.

So there you have it - if anybody else is frustrated w/ their MV's TV angle this is a mod worth looking at.