Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Today's fuel

Just got done changing the pump in my motor home. Don't want to go through that again for a while. I know for a fact my pump stopped because of a fuel issue. The motor home ran good for a week's vacation, then sat for couple months. Then the pump stopped supplying gas to the engine. Now that I have a good operating pump, how can I make it stay that way? Stan

stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Site Team
It sounds like you may have had a case of ethanol fuel poisoning, not uncommon when an engine sits a few months without running. I use the marine grade STABIL fuel treatment in all my power equipment and add the extra storage dose when it will not be run for a month or more. As added insurance I would start up the engine in between uses whenever possible.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Ethanol is a bad thing! There are a few different fuel stabilizers designed for ethanol blended fuels, to add additional shelf life to the fuel. Some people I know swear never park a MH or any car for more than a few weeks without a 100% full tank of fuel. Reason being Ethanol absorbs water and not a little bit of water. I will absorb its weight in water. If the tank is full, there is a very small area (neck tube) where water rich air can get in contact with the fuel. I have read, but have no proof, that ethanol fuel has a shelf life of 90 days. So if it has been sitting in a small not so popular gas station tanks for 30 days and in your MH for 45 days, it is now considered old fuel. When looking at fuel stabilizers, make sure to find a good one designed for ethanol based fuels.

Especially in older vehicles (you do not mention model year), ethanol damages rubber parts like hoses and fuel pump seals.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
I also use now STA-BIL in everything. Learned the hard way that todays fuel additives kill carburetors, especially on small power equipment with 4-stroke motors. I also make it a point refuel my truck at popular stations so I don't run into the "old fuel" issues that Jagiven mentions.
Rob & Kelly, Bella & Brady (Miniature Schnauzers)
2016 Eagle 323LKTS
2016 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2015 White Hawk 29REKS Summit Edition (Traded)
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
I use sea-foam in my personal equipment, to include all vehicles. I recommend it to all customers that own/use generators as well. keeps the fuel fresh and carbs clean.

Star Brite makes an ethanol remover as well, just a fuel additive.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote