Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2024, 05:53 AM   #1

Trip to Tennessee

Hello,

We are planning to drive from Connecticut down to Nashville Tennesse in May and explore the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way. Any suggestions what would be the best road to take? Where to stay etc.?
Much appreciated
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:48 AM   #2

When I travel to Pigeon Forge from NH I always take 81 to 40. We normally like to stop in the Shenandoah area on the way down. Shenandoah Valley Campground is a good stop right off the highway with a gas station close by. You could always stop in the Pigeon Forge area as there is a ton to do depending on how long you have.
MEILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:28 AM   #3

While on I 40 Maggie Vally N.C. is always one of my favorite stops. World of Wheels Motorcycle museum alone is worth the stop.
pauldeere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Team

2nd a couple days in Maggie Valley. Just a few mile drive to the a parkway and SMNP. Plenty of good cgs there also. Waynesville is a gem right next door.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:21 AM   #5

Drove the parkway last September, but came from the west. Drove the parkway in sections. Started at the north end and first stayed at the Natural Bridge KOA north of Roanoke. Decent campground. It’s hilly, but most sites are level. Right off the interstate, but quiet. Next stay was at Mayberry campground outside of Mount Airy, NC. Very nice clean well maintained campground, but could be hot in the summer because there is no shade. Not a tree in the campground. Nice laundry facilities too. If you’re an Andy Griffith fan, Mt. Airy is his home place.
Last stop was at Asheville East KOA that is nice, sites are close. Lots of shade and open sites. I had a nice backin site next to a small creek. You’ll enjoy the parkway. Lots of scenic views, but the north half could be a little mundane. South half is better I think. Some interesting educational boards at some of the pull offs.
Enjoy, be safe, and have fun.
Lonetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:37 AM   #6

Thank you all. Lots of great tips. Always glad to have this group in our lives.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:14 AM   #7

One more question about all the tunnels. Are they all high enough all the way to the end of BRP?
I've heard different comments on the height of the tunnels
Old 04-01-2024, 09:06 AM   #8

I guess according do Jayco specs high of Redhawk 24B is 11.5 ft. Is it to the highest point of the AC unit or to the roof?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jayco specs.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	92681
Old 04-01-2024, 10:57 AM   #9

I didn’t pull my travel trailer on the parkway. I could have made the tunnels ok. Seems there was one tunnel that was questionable. Look in the national parkway website. It has all the tunnels displayed on a map and the height of each tunnel. I measured my trailer height from the ground to the highest object on my roof to make sure of it’s correct height.
Lonetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:41 PM   #10

Just keep an eye on signs and anything under 12 foot your good. Or if you have a DEZL or RV Garmin you can enter 12 foot for your height restrictions. Your height is including the A/C.
Handieman1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:08 PM   #11

Blue Ridge Parkway(?)

Blue Ridge school zone, more like it. 35MPH and endless curves. Couldn't wait to get off of it.
hjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:26 PM   #12

81 to 40 is a straight shot, and Natural Bridges is a great place. Great people. We also stayed at Riverside Campground in Severville. As to the Parkway, do your homework. Most parkways do not allow trucks or campers, and tunnels present a problem as they can be below standard heights because of that. Nashville is a hoot. Take the Hop On Hop Off, it's worth it as you will learn a lot. And definetly go at night as the place is wild with music venues/restaurants everywhere.
Dqx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 01:07 PM   #13

When staying in Nashville we stay at the COE park just outside city on Percy Priest Lake. Beautiful place and most sites are on lake or lake view.
GoonF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 01:14 PM   #14

From the Baltimore Beltway take I-70 West to State Rt 340 South. Nice route down 340 and will take you into Front Royal and the entrance to Shenandoah National Park, one of my favorite. There is a campground just 2 miles south of the park entrance on 340 called Front Royal Campground. Used to be a KOA and still has the KOA cabins. The north section of Shenandoah NP is the most beautiful with wonderful trails and scenic overlooks.

The ride through Shenandoah would be scenic but it's a long ride, about 110 miles at 35 mph max. So if you want to visit some of the sights off the Blue Ridge Parkway in the central section take 340 south to Luray (Luray Caverns visit?) and back into the park to see White Oak Canyon and a beautiful nature trail up Stoney Man with wonderful views.
Woodsman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 03:06 PM   #15

We stayed at the fairgrounds in Nashville and Ubers into town. On the parkway we stayed at the Steele museum which has signs off of 81. The roads are dicy but it was ?eli Whitne farm where he invented the creeper I believe before he moved to Chicago. Lore is it is haunted
Rsulliv1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:50 PM   #16

Folk Art store on the Blue Ridge north of Asheville

We live in Asheville and always bring visitors to the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway just north of Asheville. We've been to Asheville West KOA and it's clean and woodsie. Souch to do in Asheville like visit the Biltmore Estate, great restaurants and 50 craft beer places, even disc golf and beer.
SkipperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:32 AM   #17

Seven Points COE - beautiful campground just east of Nashville was our favorite place on our Tenn trip. Large well groomed sites. The lake was very quiet and pretty. Wanted to go crappie fishing on our spring trip but weather was not cooperating- too windy. Clean showers and restrooms, nice laundry facility outdoor newer machines (in 2023).
Went in to Franklin to a restaurant we saw on Triple D and got the famous cast iron cinnamon roll!
In sevierville wanted to go to Shine Girl Distillery but they were closed on Monday when we were passing through.
We came from Ohio and went across Tenn - NC and back up N via 77 - along 40 we stopped at a friend’s microbrewery near Lake James: Fonta Flora at Whiporwill Farm (old milk farm) they have two other spots on in Morganton & at Optimist Hall.
Sheski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:45 AM   #18

We live about 50 miles east of Nashburg and avoid it like the plague. But that's why we live in the sticks.
There is a very nice COE camp ground at Defeated Creek, 15 miles from home. Beautiful lake from the Cordell Hull dam, very clean, level spots, not cramped. I was told that it is the busiest COE of all. We were there in the middle of the week and it did not seem like it. The week ends are usually booked pretty far out so get your spot reserved. There are some other COEs in the area that my friends like. Lots of choices.
Therealdiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:49 PM   #19

There are only a few places on the Blue Ridge Parkway to camp. It’s best to reserve in advance. We always went a few miles off the Parkway and had no trouble finding campsites. The rhododendrons might be in bloom. Gorgeous!
dianeskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:33 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjets View Post
Blue Ridge school zone, more like it. 35MPH and endless curves. Couldn't wait to get off of it.
Been down it twice, but on a motorcycle. I couldn't imagine it with a camper. Just my take.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote