Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #1

Dealer location VS best price?

OK The wife and I love the Jayco Pinnacle in either the ft bathroom model or the Kitchen pantry setup. My dilemma is this: The local dealer does not carry the Pinnacle model and when I downloaded a brochure and entered my e-mail address (my mistake) I had a local salesman e-mail me to say he had 'LOTS" of Jayco Pinnacle's in stock. When did I want to come see them? Well a quick search of his website showed one on his lot and not what I was looking for. I e-mailed him back and told him this and his response was "well we have a few on order."
I have been to that dealer and they are small and way over priced on there other trailers.

The closest dealer that actually carries the Jayco Pinnacle is about 350 miles from home.
Now after many hours of research I have found an online company that beats anyone's price. They beat a show price by 8 grand and that was with more options added. My concern is that if I buy online and have problems what do I do about warranty work? I don't think the local place will help as they don't carry the line I want. Do I try to work a deal with the one that is 350 miles away so that if I have problems I can haul it to them? The online place sounds great and I would love a 'road trip' on the way home from picking it up so that is not a problem. Just thinking about the future. Have any of you dealt with a non selling dealer to get repairs? The local place does carry Jayco just not the Pinnacle line.
Thank!
Steve
priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #2

I say do what gives you the ability to sleep best at night! Now if it were me, I'd take the drive and score the better deal!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

You can always get it serviced locally. You may not get 'first of the line' status like you would at a local dealer you purchased from, but that depends on your area and how overloaded the dealer(s) are near you. Jayco also authorizes non-jayco shops to do warranty work, when needed. Guess I'm just saying I wouldn't let the 'warranty' work keep you from saving thousands.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
You can always get it serviced locally. Jayco also authorizes non-jayco shops to do warranty work, when needed. Guess I'm just saying I wouldn't let the 'warranty' work keep you from saving thousands.
X2
Since there isn't a Pinnacle dealer near you, I bet Jayco would let you have a shop of your choosing do the repairs. You might have to pay the shop first and then get reimbursed directly. Call Jayco customer service to see what they advise.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
The local dealer does not carry the Pinnacle model
If he's a JAYCO dealer he can still service the FW, since all the "systems" are basically the same on all the different models.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #6

Some have had problems, some haven't. Depends on the dealer.

My personal experience is I have bought out of state and the local dealer has never had a problem getting me in as if I bought it from them.

My advice is buy it cheaper somewhere else and don't worry about the warranty - Jayco has been excellent 100% of the time for me from large to small (including a new roof after a few weeks of owning and tire blowout damage all covered under warranty - including the tires).

A second bit of advice, I would not go back to a dealer that said they couldn't work on something if I didn't buy from them - not a good dealer and I don't know how they could think I would buy from them in the future if that was one of their policies.

One last thing - I purchased out of state because my local dealer wanted $7000 more than the other dealer(s). Save the money.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #7

Your profile says you live in Vegas.

Our home base is Reno and when our local dealer would not deal we found a dealer that would....in San Diego.

Richardson's RV saved us $7K.

We didn'tworry about warranty service as Jayco would and did authorize service at a dealer of our choice.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
Your profile says you live in Vegas.

Our home base is Reno and when our local dealer would not deal we found a dealer that would....in San Diego.

Richardson's RV saved us $7K.

We didn'tworry about warranty service as Jayco would and did authorize service at a dealer of our choice.
Funny, I live just outside Phoenix, AZ and I also bought from richardsons and saved $7000. Short story, they had 5 of the 32BHDS models I was looking for. My wife was visiting in Temecula and I had her go take a look. I emailed Richardsons and got a contact. Then I drove out and went to the Menefee location. Saw the trailers, tried to work a deal with one of the sales guys, he was about $500 more than I wanted to pay. I left, emailed the contact at the Riverside location, he came down $400 closer ($127 more than I was wanting to pay) and I bought it over the Internet ($27127 out the door). I went the next day and signed the paperwork with the Menefee location and drove home. I looked, but never saw the salesman. He should have tried harder to get me a better deal. Make sure you have a state that reciprocates the taxes if you buy out of state. AZ and CA do. I had to pay 0.02% more taxes in CA. They offered to drive it to the border so I could pay my own taxes but the cost difference was better if I just paid the extra 0.02%. Just do some math to see which works better.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #9

I would take a drive and get the best deal for your money.

Most RV dealers are NOT very good. You mostly hear how you can't get in for repairs for months. And then if you did not buy from them they won't work on it.

There are ALWAYS places that will work on it..........

I will NEVER go back to the dealer I bought from, but not worried about anything getting repaired either.

Save yourself money......you'll be glad you did.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I would take a drive and get the best deal for your money.

Most RV dealers are NOT very good. You mostly hear how you can't get in for repairs for months. And then if you did not buy from them they won't work on it.

There are ALWAYS places that will work on it..........

I will NEVER go back to the dealer I bought from, but not worried about anything getting repaired either.

Save yourself money......you'll be glad you did.
Thought the OP would be on his way by now...where did he disappear too?

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #11

Dealer location VS best price?

You can always get service. If the deal saves enough that it covers your cost to go get it(I'm talking time off work and whatever) and a grand more, go get it. I bought a Jayco because I felt they had a better build. I don't buy a vehicle based on anticipated warranty issues. I buy quality for the best price. I'll worry about warranty issues IF they arise. Both of my Jayco's have not been to a dealer. Even some who pay more locally wait for service. A search here will show you that. I bought both of mine out of state and saved a lot. I told my sales lady at RV Direct that I hope she's still there when I'm ready to buy my next one. I drove from MD to Albany NY....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
Thought the OP would be on his way by now...where did he disappear too?
Still with you all. Thanks for all the replies. I think we will be taking the drive and saving the money. I am a life long Mechanic and can repair most anything. More concerned about major problems. Roof, Fridge... Those things. Working on selling our home now and then we will pull the trigger and make the decision.
priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
Still with you all. Thanks for all the replies. I think we will be taking the drive and saving the money. I am a life long Mechanic and can repair most anything. More concerned about major problems. Roof, Fridge... Those things. Working on selling our home now and then we will pull the trigger and make the decision.
While there probably isn't one decision that's right for everyone, we chose to make the drive. There are two Jayco dealers in my area, both about 1.5 hours away. We wanted a specific Eagle 5th wheel. This weekend we drove to our dealer of choice about 350 miles west. The two nearest us simply couldn't or wouldn't compete.
Doubleheader is offline   Reply With Quote