Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #1

Generator question

Hi- I am considering an Onan generator for my 2017 28.5 rsts. My thoughts are to wire it up similar to the way they are installed in a motor home. Install it on a rack system and mount it to the rear receiver. When the wife and I stop (summertime) without 50 amp service, be able to remote start the generator and run the A/C. This would of corse require the use of plugs, so the whole.thing could be disconnected, removed and stored desperately from the trailer.
My question is normally, are fully "installed" generators wired through transfer switches or am I overthinking the whole thing?
Thanks
Newt5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #2

Fully installed use transfer switches, for what you are mentioning I would think you are better off with a smaller lighter weight unit. I know the Champions are cost effective and can be portable. They you just connect your shore power to the Generator when needed. Although I would be cautious about remote start on a generator especially if it's not hardwired and properly mounted. Mounting it to the rear receiver you may quickly exceed the weight capacity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
enmity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt5005 View Post
Hi- I am considering an Onan generator for my 2017 28.5 rsts. My thoughts are to wire it up similar to the way they are installed in a motor home. Install it on a rack system and mount it to the rear receiver.
The plug in geny on MH's went out of style years ago.

As enmity02 said I too think you're putting too much weight on the rear, plus where are you getting your fuel supply?.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

Onan Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt5005 View Post
Hi- I am considering an Onan generator for my 2017 28.5 rsts. My thoughts are to wire it up similar to the way they are installed in a motor home. Install it on a rack system and mount it to the rear receiver. When the wife and I stop (summertime) without 50 amp service, be able to remote start the generator and run the A/C. This would of corse require the use of plugs, so the whole.thing could be disconnected, removed and stored desperately from the trailer.
My question is normally, are fully "installed" generators wired through transfer switches or am I overthinking the whole thing?
Thanks
Newt - Our 2018 28.5 RSTS has a storage space under the nose that's partially enclosed with metal. Inside of that, a smaller electrical box with cable. Just to the right is where the batteries are stored. I want to say it's about 34" wide x 18" tall x 22" deep - about the size of a generator. My best guess is this is prepped for a generator and I'm assuming your 2017 should have the same thing ours does. We have the "dry camping" package (extra propane tanks), so maybe that option afforded us this feature? Inside the trailer, there's a switch on the wall next to the AC thermostat that looks like a generator off/on switch. So I'm leaning to YES, we're prepped for a generator. All that said - why put a gen on the back bumper if you can store it up front and run off propane?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
Newt - Our 2018 28.5 RSTS has a storage space under the nose that's partially enclosed with metal. Inside of that, a smaller electrical box with cable. Just to the right is where the batteries are stored. I want to say it's about 34" wide x 18" tall x 22" deep - about the size of a generator. My best guess is this is prepped for a generator and I'm assuming your 2017 should have the same thing ours does. We have the "dry camping" package (extra propane tanks), so maybe that option afforded us this feature? Inside the trailer, there's a switch on the wall next to the AC thermostat that looks like a generator off/on switch. So I'm leaning to YES, we're prepped for a generator. All that said - why put a gen on the back bumper if you can store it up front and run off propane?
Yours would have been a Gen Prepped unit, the trailer would have to be ordered with the option.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
enmity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #6

Newt5005, let us know what you finally do. I have same model and also would like to add generator but not sure how. Thanks.
vicchap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:39 AM   #7

The option you mention does indeed include generator prep.
My unit is not set up this way. To convert after the fact would be cost prohibitive. I am really not looking to utilize the front storage for a gen cabinet. My first choice remains the rear hitch. Second choice would be to mount in the front of the pickup bed but then you have to work through electrical connection locacation issues AND if you decide to separate the trailer from the truck, you separate the generator as well, as in a dry camping situation.
Newt5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:07 AM   #8

First, yes you can install a transfer box and such. But, it means running some heavy duty cables up to the battery area of the trailer. Not easy, simple or cheap. If you do not understand how to install one I would get some help.

Most of us just use the regular power cable. Instead of plugging the cable into a power pedestal you plug it into the generator. Easy to do.

An alternative. Look where your shore power cable is connected inside the trailer. Get another cable and wire it in, run to back of trailer and put a second shore connector at back of trailer. Then make a short power cable that goes from genset to trailer. This is also not cheap, but, makes for several options when connecting power.

CAUTION: NEVER connect to a generator when connected to shore power unless you have a transfer box.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote