Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

??? from a newbe in a 2014 jayflight 22FB??? HELP!!

hello all, we just bought out new travel trailer and just booked our first trip at cherrystone CG in Va on the chessy. I have a couple dumb ??? for ya. I bought my new water hose and water pressure regulator, now when I hook up to the city water, will the hot water heater fill up on its own, and if so how long should it take to fill before I turn on the element switch?? I just want to make sure I do it right. I will be using the electric switch. ok now here is another ?? for yas, I hook the sewer drain hose up and get that all ready do I open the valve, or do I just keep it closed, and open every so often, im just wondering about sewer gasses?? this is our first TT and I want to make sure I do it right the first time!! thanks for any info
seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, your hot water tank will automatically fill when hooked up to city water as long as the tank isn't in by-pass mode. Refer to your owners manual for instructions on locating and operating the hot water tank by-pass. The by-pass feature is used mostly when winterizing or de-winterizing the water system.

It will take a couple of minutes for the hot water tank to fill, but before turning on the tank electric (or LP) slowly turn on the hot water at one of the sinks to purge air out of the line, good time to do the same with the cold water line. Once all the air has been purged you can turn on the electric (or LP).

Your correct, leave the grey and black tank dumped valves closed while in use. It's best to wait until the black tank is almost full before dumping for best solid waste draining. Once the black tan is emptied, close the black tank valve, then empty the grey tanks. Emptying the grey tanks last will help clean the valve area and sewer piping.

The trailer has vent pipes similar to a home, so no gases should build up.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #3

Congratulations. Most people will leave the tank valves closed. The Grey water tank fills much faster than the black tank. If the Grey over fills, it will back up into the shower basin. Also after dumping the black tank add 2 -5 gallons of water to the tank, this is for tank health, and making dumping the tank easier as the fluid will flow easier.

As for sewer smell, I do have this issue every spring a week or two after our first trip. It is from the good bacteria growth boom in the tanks. So never put bleach down the drains or you will continually have this bacteria growth boom.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #4

We have a 2012 22FB and the HWH bypass valves are accessed by taking off the panel underneath the refrigerator. The manual that we got with our TT spoke of by-pass but not how to access the valves
NewCamperOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote