Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #21

Thanks all. Wife and I were chatting last night. We're going to put it on the market and put a price on it where we'd be a fool not to accept (within reason based on value, of course). If we can sell it, great. If not, we haven't lost anything.

I think we're in agreement with most of the advice. It will never be worth more than it is right now - both age and market conditions. Based on what we see other similar year/units, we may likely get close to what we paid for it 6 years ago. If we can get 80%+ of what we paid, it's better than we would in a few years.

Any thoughts on where to sell it? RVT and RVTrader look like good marketplaces, but they do charge to list (small price to pay for exposure). Any other good avenues?
2013 Ford F150 Lariat EcoBoost Max Tow
Blue Ox Sway Pro
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #22

Sell it!

This is a no brainer. Sell it this coming spring while the market is still red hot. Everything is selling for premium prices and I believe that is going to be true next spring as well. As others have said, letting it just sit for 2 - 3 years makes no sense. It loses value, and has to be licensed and insured. In 2 - 3 years, you have plenty of time to plan ahead and get the RV you want. My one piece of advice is to do your research early, decide what you want at least a year in advance. Waiting a year for a new RV is a pretty typical wait time now days. Hopefully that will improve but I wouldn't count on it. Others have suggested that when the Covid buying frenzy is over, there will be many 1 - 2 year old used RVs available to purchase. Either way, sell now, and take advantage of the market in a couple of years.
lsugarbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021JayFlight28BHS View Post
I’d sale, just letting it sit there unused is hard on it, and a good invite for critters, plus you’ll prob lose value over the course of 2 years, and you’ll still have to maintain it (sealing, around all cracks and roof).
I agree totally. Age and deterioration aren't going to help the value.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadr View Post
Thanks all. Wife and I were chatting last night. We're going to put it on the market and put a price on it where we'd be a fool not to accept (within reason based on value, of course). If we can sell it, great. If not, we haven't lost anything.

I think we're in agreement with most of the advice. It will never be worth more than it is right now - both age and market conditions. Based on what we see other similar year/units, we may likely get close to what we paid for it 6 years ago. If we can get 80%+ of what we paid, it's better than we would in a few years.

Any thoughts on where to sell it? RVT and RVTrader look like good marketplaces, but they do charge to list (small price to pay for exposure). Any other good avenues?
Craigslist & Facebook Marketplace are free and have worked well for me selling, but I prefer looking on RV Trader & Auto Trader for buying just because search results are more relevant plus I'm willing to travel upwards of 1500 miles to buy. My current truck was a FB Marketplace find but only because the ad was shared by a friend that knew I was looking. My RV was a RV Trader find. I've sold 1 car and 1 TT on Craigslist & 1 truck on FB MKTPL in the last 5 months. The truck had a buyer lined up within 12 hours and the car and TT took under a week to sell. With that said, I would have found your rig on RV Trader before Craigslist or FB MKTPL.

My TT was old and not worth a lot so I couldn't see paying for an ad on RV Trader but if I was selling your rig, I would put it on all 3.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsugarbaker View Post
This is a no brainer. Sell it this coming spring while the market is still red hot. Everything is selling for premium prices and I believe that is going to be true next spring as well. As others have said, letting it just sit for 2 - 3 years makes no sense. It loses value, and has to be licensed and insured. In 2 - 3 years, you have plenty of time to plan ahead and get the RV you want. My one piece of advice is to do your research early, decide what you want at least a year in advance. Waiting a year for a new RV is a pretty typical wait time now days. Hopefully that will improve but I wouldn't count on it. Others have suggested that when the Covid buying frenzy is over, there will be many 1 - 2 year old used RVs available to purchase. Either way, sell now, and take advantage of the market in a couple of years.
This all sounds good but the market is still red hot now and no guarantee it will be AS HOT in the spring. There is zero reason to wait during this crazy market and the rig will be one model year older in the spring.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:05 PM   #26

Sell or not

Sitting here in lower Alabama wondering the same. No further plans to snowbird. Trying to sell down here. Dealer only offering $10,000 for my 2016 Jayco 29RKS. NADA shows low value of $16,900 with average of $20k.
Do I drag it back to Michigan or let her go?
Mike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike01 View Post
Sitting here in lower Alabama wondering the same. No further plans to snowbird. Trying to sell down here. Dealer only offering $10,000 for my 2016 Jayco 29RKS. NADA shows low value of $16,900 with average of $20k.

Sell it yourself to an individual. Dealers are going to want to make a profit (understandably). Why not keep that profit for yourself? List it on a national site or two.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike01 View Post
Depends on whether you're talking about letting the dealer steal it from you for $10k or selling it for it's current market value which is not what NADA says but what current conditions say. RV Trader shows at least 3 similar rigs from $24-$26k which looks reasonable with new ones around $35k.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #29

Selling was our decision

We just sold our 2017 28RLS for alot more than we were offered a year ago. We are going to put that money in the bank and decide next year if we want another trailer, a motor home or maybe a piece of property and a cabin in the woods. Lots of choices now.
DWardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadr View Post
Hi all,

It will never be worth more than it is now.
The best reason is right there!

I'd put it up for sale on Craigslist and see what kind of reaction you get. At least, it's free!

My opinion and worth what you paid for it!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #31

Once it's gone, money's in the bank....if you get the itch....rent until you can't stand not having your own in the driveway. And then you buy another.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:05 PM   #32

A friend from church is looking to buy a class C or maybe smaller A (40’ or less). He’s been shopping and is aware of the buying frenzy and thinks the newer units are starting to show up in resale. He’s found a couple of units that he and his wife like at a reasonable price but hasn’t pulled the trigger yet. Last time we talked it sounded close, he’s shopping storage locations. He is new and has nothing to unload before he can buy. If folks are unloading their purchases en mass it could be (or soon to be) a buyers market. There have been predictions this would happen. Any shoppers out there seeing similar?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:38 AM   #33

Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and (if you can) put it out on the side of the road with a big sign on it. People are buying RVs like crazy now. I really hope it settles down soon, camping has gotten very crowded in the mid-Atlantic and its quite difficult to find sites without planning months or years in advance.

When we first started going to Florida in the winter, we got a spot the day we left and went to Florida. Now we have to request our site at the end of this year's trip and hope that we get it next year. Since we only stay 2 weeks, we could potentially get bumped by someone trying to stay longer (although they make more money off us staying at the weekly rate than someone staying at the monthly rate).

I'm ready for things to slow back down.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Every day that unit sits on the property is just one more day before the roof starts leaking.

Every day that unit sits on the property not being camped in, is another day for the mice to take over.

Maybe this winter will drop a tree on the roof.

If you are quiet and listen to the RV, you can hear it rusting and rotting.
This post would make a good starting point for an Allstate Insurance "Mayhem" ad.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
Sell High, Buy Low. Rvs are a commodity and have economic cycles like every other commodity. Right now the market is high, take the cash and save it for a future purchase. There are always units available and you'll save the depreciation over the next few years with your busy schedule. You can always rent a unit or stay in a camping cabin for any trips for now.....
I've been doing it all wrong .. I thought it was Buy HIGH sell LOW!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #36

I am on the sell now opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post

If you are quiet and listen to the RV, you can hear it rusting and rotting.

Priceless,

We are preparing to sell ours right now. Not waiting for spring.

Regards,

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Sell. Two years is a long time in this world. Three is an eternity. So much can change that doesn't benefit holding on to a depreciating toy.
X2
Incampnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:54 AM   #38

No brainer. Sell. In two years the market will have a high glut of used units on the market. That will drive prices down steeply in the used market and sharply in the new market. You are also dealing with a need change getting out of the bunk into the two party. Your timing couldn’t be better. We changed from a class c, selling for 4K over the purchase two years ago and bought a 5th wheel for roughly 5k over what the seller paid. It’s the market.
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #39

Also. There are three parks being built within 30 miles of our location. I know this is happening everywhere. The park prices that are now rising will fall with a glut of availability. Many will not
Make it.
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #40

Are you from New Jersey? I am looking for a good used unit for a permanent site in central new York.
Stymie#1 is offline   Reply With Quote