Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2023, 06:34 PM   #1

Axle issue

I bought a 2021 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS from Affinity RV in Prescott AZ. I totally understand that when you buy a house that goes 70 mph on the road you will have issues.

I paid over a $100,000 I would think I would get good service like I was told when I bought the unit. On 6/8/2023 I had an appointment to bring my coach down to Affinity to repair the axle issue

So let me inform you of the issue I am having with the rear axle. I only have 2800 miles on this unit and the passenger side tire on the rear axle had worn off on the inside of the tire and the tread that was left looks like it was ripping. The driver side rear tire is starting to do the same thing but not as bad. I have pictures or the rear suspension and you can see the tweaking of the rear suspension and the front suspension is straight.

I also have emails going back and forth between Affinity, Jayco and myself. The front axle and tire looks perfect no uneven wear. Something is wrong and Jayco keeps asking for the same information from Affinity and no answers.

This is just not right to only have 2800 miles on the unit and spending my retirement money on a camper to travel across the country and we cant. Because Jayco will not take care of there customer. I dont understand it seems like Jayco is dragging this out to get past the warranty. I bought the extended warranty and still no progress.

Is this a representation of what this company I dont think so. I have heard really great things about Jayco going over and above to make satisfied customers. I just dont know why Jayco is doing this to me. Please please please I need to talk to someone with authority and who can make decisions.

I dont want to spin my wheels talking to someone that cant make things happen. Im asking for help Please my name is Ed Donahue and phone number is 928-715-**** thank you
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7877.jpg   IMG_7879.jpg   IMG_7878.jpg   IMG_7633.jpg  
Eddie Donahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:40 PM   #2

Start here. That will give you a paper trail.

https://www.jayco.com/contact-towable-service/
Old 09-27-2023, 08:00 PM   #3

Yup already did that thank you
Old 09-27-2023, 08:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Donahue View Post
Yup already did that thank you
Just remember that the axles, suspension and frames are warranted by their separate manufacturers. Dexter, Lippert and Mor-Ryde. That is spelled out in the warranty documents, so that could also be part of the delay.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:20 PM   #5

Yes they are all working together but after 3 1/2 months everyone is pointing and saying it’s not there issue I have emails and texts
Old 09-27-2023, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Donahue View Post
Yes they are all working together but after 3 1/2 months everyone is pointing and saying it’s not there issue I have emails and texts
Then send a letter to Ken Walters, he's the President.

903 S. Main Street,
Middlebury, IN 46540
Old 09-27-2023, 08:39 PM   #7

I don't know where you live, but if you can get your trailer to Middlebury, your best bet is to plead with Jayco for a factory repair. In the meantime, you need the dealer to replace your tire. Also, there is rutsy dust on your spring ends and shackles. Looks like the lubrication is gone, and maybe your bushings too. That might be why your shackles are so crooked. It could be a bent axle, but slop in your suspension can do that too. Loose wheel bearings can, too. Get friendly with Jayco customer service. Also, you might as well get on youtube and learn how to diagnose and fix it yourself- you'll never find anyone who cares about your coach like you do.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:55 PM   #8

What company is he the president of?
Old 09-28-2023, 06:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie donahue View Post
what company is he the president of?
jayco..
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:25 AM   #10

Your dealeship should have no problem taking care of this unfortunately too common of issue. Ours had the exact same problem with rear axle and tire wear and looked identical at around 3k miles. Putting a straightedge on the tires on both sides, the rear axle was obviously way out of alignment. Sent pics, the dealer wanted to take measurements, submitted warranty claim, and replaced rear axle and 2 tires, no quibbles. I'd be having a chat with your dealership's manager.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:50 AM   #11

Thank you great information. The dealer that I bought the unit from has refunded my money for the tires. I am looking at getting it back next month that will be 4 months and do some measurements and replace the axle myself. The wheel bearings are good that was the first thing I checked. I’m also thinking the morryde suspension may be coming apart. We shall see yesterday jayco asked once again for more information so they may stand behind the axle. Thank you everyone who has given me information
Old 10-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #12

Axle problem

I own a Keystone Cougar 5th wheel, not a Jayco,
but I ended up with both my axel’s bent after traveling from Colorado to Upper Peninsula MI and home.

My 5th wheel was in the dealership for some warranty repairs while still under warranty and the dealership called Dexter Axels directly and the shipped 2 new axle assembly with springs and brake assemblies.

Find out who’s axles are on your RV and have the dealership call them directly.

If I remember correctly Dexter warranties their axels for 5 years.

Best of luck getting your problem resolved.
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 07:07 PM   #13

I have the same issue and I bought it at affinity in Prescott strange coincidence
DWeismann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:27 PM   #14

Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeismann View Post
I have the same issue and I bought it at affinity in Prescott strange coincidence
They denied everything and I bought mine there too
Old 03-14-2024, 06:15 AM   #15

Fixed yet?

Did you ever get your axle and tire problem?
RikJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:26 AM   #16

Your first problem is towing a double axle travel trailer at 70 mph. Slow down and enjoy the scenery a bit. Travel trailers are really not designed to be towed at those speeds. Most states limit speeds for vehicles towing trailers. A blowout at 70 mph could be disastrous.

You're retired, you have very few firm deadlines to be anywhere.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:44 AM   #17

It's definitely a pass the buck issue. Unless the dealer wants to take a chance and incur all the cost, they're not going to do anything that's not covered by warranty for which they'll be reimbursed. And all the fine print and paperwork you signed when you bought the RV, you can't sue the dealer because you've already signed away that right, you can't take the RV back to the dealer because you've also signed away your refusal of acceptance, in fact you can't sue Jayco in court because you have also agreed to arbitration, and all these arbitration suits have to be filed in Indiana to which you have also agreed. I think this is a problem with the drop axles that Jayco uses, if it was just an alignment issue both tires would be wearing evenly on both sides, but when they're wearing only on the inside which appears to be the most common, it's a camber problem with the way the axles are welded which is a defect from Dexter, which is why they seem to replace the axles in most cases. These are all issues that are easy to check before the RV ever leaves the factory and it is beyond me why they don't take some simple measurements or at least do a simple unskilled check by placing a long straight edge against the tires to see if everything is flush, even most unskilled RV worker can do that...
RikJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikJess View Post
Did you ever get your axle and tire problem?
Not yet after 5 months and packing up my 5th wheel which I’m living in for the winter just to have a different dealer do some measuring. And the dealer fighting Jayco to fix the problem. They have finally agreed to replace my axle and two more tires. It took a full year and on April 10th they will be replacing my axle. I must have 1000 emails and unknown hours not counting having to pack up and take the unit to another dealer
Old 03-14-2024, 08:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Your first problem is towing a double axle travel trailer at 70 mph. Slow down and enjoy the scenery a bit. Travel trailers are really not designed to be towed at those speeds. Most states limit speeds for vehicles towing trailers. A blowout at 70 mph could be disastrous.

You're retired, you have very few firm deadlines to be anywhere.
My experience is Dexter ships some bad axles. There are many posts of this problem. Not saying all out of alignment axles are bad from the factory, many overload their RV's, and with crappy roads I'm sure many get bent. Our 5er wore the rear axle tires inside edge bald in 3k miles. Front were fine. Laid a straightedge on the tires and the rear axle was obviously way out of alignment. Sent pics, dealer checked and confirmed, a new axle and 2 tires were replaced no questions asked at no charge.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:52 PM   #20

Can't advise on the warranty side any better than others already have but from several years in the shop I can say that wear is 100% from toe. I'd say camber from the nearly even wear across the tread but it has the little wisps coming off the high side of each tread row that indicates toe. That and camber generally won't wear that fast, toe does. Toe on one axle will self-center but with 2 axles, the 3 will be straight, one off by itself, as you see here.

Sure, speed is a safety issue but it has nothing to do with this wear pattern.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote