Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Bob, we have a 29RKS on order. Jayco says dry tongue weight is 815. We've decided to buy a Pro Pride after looking at the "upgrades". The Anderson may be OK, but it may not...and to us it isn't worth the risk. We have the HA hook up down to a science, so no big learning curve.

John

Aizoo Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

John,

The ProPride shares a lot of the robust design characteristics and functionality as the HA...., should work well for you.

With the potential loaded weights of the 29RKS (9,500lb GVWR), I would think a "loaded" TT tongue weight around 1,100lbs isn't out of the question. I would guess the 29RKS ship weight would come in around 7,300lbs, depending on how one configures it.

If you decide to visit a CAT scale sometime in the future with your TV/TT, please feel free to post your CAT results......, great info for folks considering similar TV/TT combinations.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #13

Excellent choice John!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Try an Equalizer. It ELIMINATES sway also.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
I beg to differ, Jeff. According to Equal-i-zer's website "Four steel on steel friction points - known as Integrated 4-Point Sway Control™ - provide unmatched resistance to your trail's attempts to sway. Equal-i-zer's Integrated 4-Point Sway Control is a combination of 4 positive friction areas that work together to combat trailer sway." They also go on to say "The patented Equal-i-zer head adds two powerful points of rotational friction to resist trailer sway. Rotational friction works to stop side-to-side sway before it starts." These quotes are directly off their website on how the 4 point sway control works.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #15

I think the difference is that the Equalizer, Andersen, and others all rely on friction to reduce/"eliminate" sway. The problem is, given enough force, that friction can be overcome...it is possible, even if it is not probable. The Hensley/ProPride design, on the other hand, makes it physically impossible for sway to occur unless a part fails.

I'm not going to tell anyone what to buy; for my wife and me we opted to spend the money for what we consider to be added peace of mind.

John
Aizoo Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizoo Guy View Post
snip.......The problem is, given enough force, that friction can be overcome...it is possible, even if it is not probable..........snip
John,

I have a number of friends using the HA and love them, they wouldn't consider anything else. IMO the HA and ProPride are superior WDH's when it comes to the topic of integrated "sway control", but like all sway control products they all have inherent thresholds and/or vulnerabilities.

While in-tow and under the pulling weight of the TT the HA hitch is in a "locked" condition and is an extremely effective sway control product. It should be noted that the HA is vulnerable in effectively controlling a sway event when the hitch is in an "unlocked" state (lateral movement within the hitch takes place)...., which is the result of the pulling weight of the TT being removed. The "unlocking" condition can be created by TV brakes engaging before TT brakes, exhaust braking, and in some cases transmission downshifting.

My knowledge on the operation of the HA is a little dated, so it's possible the HA "unlocking" condition may have been addressed via recent design change.

I'll apologize to the OP for shifting a little off topic.....

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote