Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #11

It is all Nissan trucks 05-10 4.0L and 5.6L. There are two radiator part numbers that are the bad ones. I thought I was absolved since I had the 2008 5.6L, rare in a Pathfinder. No such luck.

It is not the hose that's the problem. The bottom 10% of the radiator is an ATF fluid warmer/cooler. The wall in the radiator between the antifreeze and ATF was a single wall and perforates effectively mixing the two fluids. Destroys your tranny, water pump, trans ecm, and head needs to be flushed.

Bypassing the trans fluid section of the radiator is the internet fix which I'm rather scared of. Yeah it warms your ATF but also cools it once your up to operating temp. Heat kills transmissions. I installed a Spectra aftermarket radiator for $160 which had a double wall with a true separation. No more worries about the milkshake of death.

mikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #12

Bad OEM Nissan radiators :

21460-EA265 and 21460-EA215

Good new OEM radiator :

21460-9CAOE

Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeG View Post
It is all Nissan trucks 05-10 4.0L and 5.6L. There are two radiator part numbers that are the bad ones. I thought I was absolved since I had the 2008 5.6L, rare in a Pathfinder. No such luck.

It is not the hose that's the problem. The bottom 10% of the radiator is an ATF fluid warmer/cooler. The wall in the radiator between the antifreeze and ATF was a single wall and perforates effectively mixing the two fluids. Destroys your tranny, water pump, trans ecm, and head needs to be flushed.

Bypassing the trans fluid section of the radiator is the internet fix which I'm rather scared of. Yeah it warms your ATF but also cools it once your up to operating temp. Heat kills transmissions. I installed a Spectra aftermarket radiator for $160 which had a double wall with a true separation. No more worries about the milkshake of death.

I guess I must be missing something. How can a liquid that is around 210* (coolant in the rad at operating temperature) cool a liquid that should be around 160 or 170 (transmission fluid at operating temperature)? I don't see that part of the transmission fluid loop offering any help to cool down the fluid. Perhaps the radiator itself is cooling the fluid? Are there fins down therein the transmission fluid reservoir portion? Besides, that's what the transmission fluid coolers further up on the rad are for.

I had no idea the problem was so widespread, but the "internet solution" has worked for me and scores of others. IIRC, someone somewhere, (yeah I know...) said that dealers were using this bypass during the early days of the problem.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #14

The ATF is cooled just like your coolant by the radiator. The warming effect is great on cool winter mornings like here on the northeast when the truck will shift really hard until the ATF temp goes up. In Texas you don't have to worry about that .

There was a huge class action lawsuit last year about it and Nissan extended the warranty to 100k for damage the radiators cause. I didn't want my truck to go through the problem so took action. When I asked my dealer about the bypass he said absolutely not, replacement is the only recommendation.

The second cooler in front is a supplemental ATF cooler which comes with the tow package. If you tow and don't have one that is essential. I always added a B&M cooler to any TV I had without a sup trans oil cooler. Yes it helps cool the fluid but is to be used in conjunction with the radiator.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #15

My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

Supplemental trans oil cooler is one thing that every TV should have.

I also do more frequent synthetic oil changes when towing and fill with premium fuel before a trip. Might be overkill.