Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

22.5" wheels to replace 19.5"

My 2012 Seneca FK has 19.5" wheels. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience in converting to 22.5". This would include any clearance issues, particular brand of wheels, need to expand openings in the rears to clear the flaps, speedometer recalibration...basically anything you've got. If you've done it, I imagine you know.

By the way, my reasoning is this: I have Freightliner work trucks, and the ones with the 22.5's are much more comfortable and feel more solid and are a better choice...hence the reason (I suppose) that the new Senecas have that platform.

I'll look forward to any input.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #2

That is going to be a difficult item to get information on. It appears that very few units had that size tire. The 2013 specs were for 22.5 tires so I wonder if they made the switch when they changed to the air ride. I can give you measurements on my 2018 if that helps but again if yours is a spring ride might not be worth much. Good luck and happy new year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
That is going to be a difficult item to get information on. It appears that very few units had that size tire. The 2013 specs were for 22.5 tires so I wonder if they made the switch when they changed to the air ride. I can give you measurements on my 2018 if that helps but again if yours is a spring ride might not be worth much. Good luck and happy new year.

I'd be happy to hear any comments you have. Everything from 2013 foward seems to have the 22.5's and based on the config of my other Freightliners, I don't see that there was an structural change to accomplish that switch. I have springs, however I have added airbags. Thanks. HNY.

I might have misunderstood you when you said "very few units." My current understanding is that since 2013, all the Senecas have 22.5. Can you please let me know if I'm wrong about that?
Old 12-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #4

I meant only the 2012 had the smaller tires and that the number would be limited to the number of units produced that year. Everything since then is the 22.5. I will measure the wheel openings tomorrow and post it on here. I would doubt there is any difference between mine and your unit and you probably would have no issue with the change. Somewhere I read about a rv salvage company that buys units that are damaged and then cuts up the parts. Might be an inexpensive way to get a set of rims.

Best wishes.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:40 PM   #5

Another issue to be considered if the tires do fit and you change them out is speedometer calibration. Probably a matter of going to Freightliner and having the computer "flashed" since it has an electronic speed sensor.

I believe a proper speed reference signal is important for not only correct speedometer and odometer readings, but also for proper transmission shift points and (I suspect) engine operation.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for your help, sir. I believe you are correct, as we had to do this with our F450. I have some some preliminary measuring and think I can do it. I have Freightliner work trucks that I use for my company deliveries, and the dimensions seem to work. I also want to learn more about the transmission reprogram to the high range so I can more easily pull the hills when we go through the pass in the Smokies. I've heard some folks on the forum have had good luck with the Freightliner tech people, but I don't know any of them so I'll have to look around a bit. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate any leads.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo View Post
Thanks for your help, sir. I believe you are correct, as we had to do this with our F450. I have some some preliminary measuring and think I can do it. I have Freightliner work trucks that I use for my company deliveries, and the dimensions seem to work. I also want to learn more about the transmission reprogram to the high range so I can more easily pull the hills when we go through the pass in the Smokies. I've heard some folks on the forum have had good luck with the Freightliner tech people, but I don't know any of them so I'll have to look around a bit. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate any leads.
Almost any Freightliner dealership should be able to help you with what you need. If you can't get any satisfaction locally, I have a friend that works for Freightliner of Maine that is just about the best resource I've ever found for parts compatibility etc. PM me if you need his contact info.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #8

Also consider rear differential ratio as tire circumference is considerably different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dananu View Post
Also consider rear differential ratio as tire circumference is considerably different.
Good point Dananu, taller tires will have the same effect as having a numerically lower axle ratio which will likely reduce "pulling" performance. How much, I can't say.

RayBo, check your driver's sunvisor to see if the label lists your axle ratio as mine does. For comparison, my 2014 has a 5.13:1 ratio. Might help with guesstimating the change larger tires might make.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:34 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Good point Dananu, taller tires will have the same effect as having a numerically lower axle ratio which will likely reduce "pulling" performance. How much, I can't say.

RayBo, check your driver's sunvisor to see if the label lists your axle ratio as mine does. For comparison, my 2014 has a 5.13:1 ratio. Might help with guesstimating the change larger tires might make.

All good points. I did dig into it. It reduces the final drive ratio too much, in my opinion. I'm not going to do it. (Besides, since mine's a 2012, I might like a new one next year :-)

Anyway, because of the way my brain works, I had to go do research. Here's some info (maybe way more than anybody wants, but somebody might:

2012 Seneca

Ratio 4.78:1
Tires 245/70R19.5

2018 Seneca

Ratio 5.13:1
Tires 275/80R22.5

This tells me that changing to 22.5’s would reduce my final drive ratio to 3.96. That means I’ll have to change the ratio to 5.77:1 to get the same characteristics. It also tells me that the newer Senecas (Freightliners) have dropped the gear ratios to get more “pull” and makes me wonder about fuel economy a little. (That’s a topic for another day.) Probably I’m just going to change the front wheels so that the wheelwells don’t look so empty and so that the steering and handling are much better.

Anyway, because we “share” here, I thought I’d post the info for anyone looking to learn more about tire sizes and gear ratios. Never can have too much information, and that’s what forums are all about…or so I think.

Tire size/gear ratio relationship notes:

Locate the O.E. tire size. This is found on the sidewall of the tire and will look similar to: 245/70R19.5

Note the width of the tire from the first number in the tire size. In this case, 245 represents the width across the tire, in millimeters, from the widest point.

Calculate the tire sidewall height. In the example tire size, 245/70R19.5, the number “70” represents the height of the tire’s sidewall, from rim to tread, as a percentage of the tire width. In this case the tire’s height would be 122.5 millimeters (50 percent of 245), or 4.82 inches. This is also known as the tire’s “series.”

Locate the O.E. wheel diameter; this is the last number in the tire size. In the example, 245/70R19.5, the number 19.5 represents the wheel diameter, in inches, on which the tire is intended to be mounted.

Calculate the overall tire height, in inches, using the following formula ((Width/25.4) x Sidewall Percentage) x 2. Therefore, a 245/70R19.5 tire would have an overall tire height of 9.64 inches: ((245/25.4) x 50%) x2.

Combine the overall tire height with the wheel diameter. Using the example of, 245/70R19.5, you would add 9.64 to 19.5 for a final diameter of 29.14 inches.

Using the 3 percent variance rule (tires “balloon” or “sag” depending on air pressure,) you would be able to install a new tire and wheel combination that was between 28.27 inches and 30.01 inches in total diameter.

Locate the O.E. tire size. This is found on the sidewall of the tire and will look similar to: 275/80R22.5

Note the width of the tire from the first number in the tire size. In this case, 275 represents the width across the tire, in millimeters, from the widest point.

Calculate the tire sidewall height. In the example tire size, 275/80R22.5, the number “80” represents the height of the tire’s sidewall, from rim to tread, as a percentage of the tire width. In this case the tire’s height would be 137.5 millimeters (50 percent of 275), or 5.41 inches. This is also known as the tire’s series.

Locate the O.E. wheel diameter; this is the last number in the tire size. In the example, 275/80R22.5, the number 22.5 represents the wheel diameter, in inches, on which the tire is intended to be mounted.

Calculate the overall tire height, in inches, using the following formula ((Width/25.4) x Sidewall Percentage) x 2
A 275/80R22.5 tire would have an overall tire height of 10.83 inches: ((275/25.4) x 50%) x2.

Combine the overall tire height with the wheel diameter. Using the example of, 275/80R22.5, you would add 10.83 to 22.5 for a final diameter of 33.33 inches.

Using the 3 percent variance rule, you would be able to install a new tire and wheel combination that was between 32.33 inches and 34.33 inches in total diameter.

One peculiarity that sticks with me in tire sizing: We use metric to describe width, a percentage to describe height, and inches to describe the wheel. Kind of wacky if you ask me, kind of like buying a pound of hamburger, weighed by the gram and then paying for it in ¥en.

PS if anyone finds flaws in my math, please correct me…I don’t get offended so easily and want things to be correct. AND, it's 6:30am and I have not had my coffee yet.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #11

Search tire size calculator, you can compare by entering tire sizes. I think your Calc may be off as the ratio is probably exposed tire outside wheel ( less bead area).Wheel size is inside bead so you are losing distance covered by wheel x2 when mounted. Since you Calc both sizes the same way the decision will probably be unchanged.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Search tire size calculator, you can compare by entering tire sizes. I think your Calc may be off as the ratio is probably exposed tire outside wheel ( less bead area).Wheel size is inside bead so you are losing distance covered by wheel x2 when mounted. Since you Calc both sizes the same way the decision will probably be unchanged.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Sorry I do not follow what you mean by "your Calc may be off...." Can you please clarify what you mean? I'm using only basic math and trusting that C still equals 2∏r. I'd be grateful if you'd study my post and point out any errors you find, and I can always benefit from clearly demonstrated corrections that make sense.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #13

Found this calculator online. Don’t know if it correct or not but you can plug in various tires and get all sort of info out.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Sorry I do not follow what you mean by "your Calc may be off...." Can you please clarify what you mean? I'm using only basic math and trusting that C still equals 2∏r. I'd be grateful if you'd study my post and point out any errors you find, and I can always benefit from clearly demonstrated corrections that make sense.
Reviewing your calculation it appears you used 50 percent in both calculations instead of 70 percent for the 19.5 and 80 percent for the 22.5.

Dana

Old 01-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Actually, circumference is C=πD.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I also thought C=piD. Can't find pi symbol on phone!! Grandson said C=2piR. Internet world says they are same.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
You are correct, which in a more common way of stating it, the identical formula is C=2πr.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I also thought C=piD. Can't find pi symbol on phone!! Grandson said C=2piR. Internet world says they are same.

2 times r = D, so they are the same.

Pi symbol?

Settings > General > Keyboards > Keyboards, tap Add New Keyboard... and choose Greek from the list. Add a Greek keyboard to your iPhone to enable access to the letter Pi.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #19

Not iPhone ==S8--Greek not an option. technology!!

Old 01-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

You may want this, then:

(Not vetted, but sounds reasonably simple to try.