Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #21

FYI the hinge kit doesn't work on the N8X fridges. I bought the kit and found out the hard way. The holes do not line up.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:07 PM   #22

Same happened to me 2 days before trip. I was lucky to get one the next day from a local RV store. They fed-exed it over. I bought the metal hinges fix & placed those on. Get some extra washers to elevate the freezer door also because mine hit each other when the new bottom door & hinge fix was installed. It raises up the door.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:19 PM   #23
Site Team

Pay it forward as a JOF member did for me. The kits ONLY needs to be installed on the bottom of the big door. Easy peasy, don't need to use screws and make it more complicated.

When done you will have the other side hinge bracket with no use for you ever. Pass it on to another with the opposite side hinge than you. Or at least you will have a paper weight that will last a lifetime.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:02 PM   #24

Norcold door hinge kit

I had purchased the Norcold door hinge kit for my refrigerator so I could install it before anything broke. I spent $40 (with shipping) for the N8 kit from The Norcold Guy who has everything one needs for repairs on Norcold refrigerators.
When I followed the instructions and took my door off, I saw the The repair kit part was already installed on my brand new JayFlight camper.

So before you order this part check to make sure it isn’t already on your door.

I tried to return the part with 3 phone calls and also emails and was ignored by The Norcold Guy.
Very surprised that they ignored my request to get a refund considering people give them great reviews.
gregoryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:14 PM   #25

If the hinge kit doesn't work on the N8X, what's to prevent it from breaking again? Jayco is working with Norcold to coordinate sending me the new door and I'm sure they won't send anything more than they have to. I may just end up biting the bullet and buy the door myself instead of waiting for them and then when they send it (if they send it) I'll have a spare.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:25 PM   #26

Like so many other RV's, our door broke on the first day of a 10-day camping trip. Fortunately the refrigerator latch held the door closed. Just had to hold the door up when opening the fridge.

We purchased the $30 repair bracket from Amazon for our N8X Norcold, and sure enough, the holes did NOT line up. So I cut the U-shape part of the bracket off, and then the bracket holes lined up perfectly with the refrigerator hinge. To secure the bracket, I then put two 2" screws to hold it in place. Works perfectly.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
I cringed when you said you used duct tape. It will remove the fake wood grain finish off your fridge when you remove it. I hope you are successful in removing it without damage.
Gaffers tape should be in everybody's repair kit.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:08 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
If the hinge kit doesn't work on the N8X, what's to prevent it from breaking again? Jayco is working with Norcold to coordinate sending me the new door and I'm sure they won't send anything more than they have to. I may just end up biting the bullet and buy the door myself instead of waiting for them and then when they send it (if they send it) I'll have a spare.
You'll just get the stripped down door, you'll have to remove the hardware and front panel from your old door and install on the new unit. I was able to repair the hinge on my original door, but ordered a new door just in case.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:53 PM   #29

I went ahead and got the 634166 door hinge kit off Amazon knowing full well that it would not fit my N8X refrigerator without modifications. I cut the U bend piece off both pieces. Once you do that, they can be used for either left or right side, so I decided to reinforce my freezer door hinge as well. Why not?

I used #6 countersink 1/2" wood screws from Home Depot (12 pc pack for $1.49 including tax). Made the holes on the metal piece to be countersink with a larger drill bit. Marked the holes on the plastic door frame and drilled pilot holes and installed the metal hinge plate. I reused the nylon washer on the bottom, but added the supplied metal washer for the freezer door so the screw heads don't rub on the hinge bracket on the refrig. Didn't countersink it enough. Hope this helps anyone trying to attempt it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-Cut.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	82943

Name:	02-Countersink.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	82944

Name:	03-DrillHoles.jpg