Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2023, 07:40 AM   #1

Leveling

Hello! We have a new 28.5 Eagle HT and while this our 3rd 5th wheel it is our first with auto leveling. My question is - we know the trailer has to be leveled for the slides to work, is it possible to level it while it is attached to the truck - we travel a lot and sometimes spend a quick night somewhere between stops where we don’t want to unhook. Thanks for any input!
Jenols219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:46 AM   #2

If I leave my truck hooked up, I will level manually. The Lippert system I have will not Auto level unless it starts from a nose high level...as in unhitched.

I use the bubble level app on my phone and take a little weight off the truck and then get it leveled sided to side. Close is good enough...no need to get it perfect.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:01 AM   #3

If you remain hooked up, only lower jacks manually to stabilize for support such as overnight on the road. I have opened slides without leveling before. It's not a big deal unless it's really unlevel then I wouldn't open slides. Damn dealerships do it all the time, not saying it's good for the rig.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:44 PM   #4

The large Schwintek slides are the ones that are very sensitive to the unit being level. If you have cable slides or rack and pinion if you're off level a bit, it won't matter too much. Also the small bedroom slide that is usually a schwintek shouldn't be affected too much if you're not perfectly level. As others have said, I've spent the night in a Walmart lot while on the road, and we leave it connected and just get it as close as possible.
riddleswest is offline   Reply With Quote