Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I have the generator covered with the standard Honda cover, an outboard motor cover from Bass Pro and then a cargo net to keep the covers from flapping around in the wind. Of course those have to come off when running.

I have the generator bolted to the tray with some bolts I fashioned and protected with some tool steel. I also put a couple of cable locks on it just for grins. It could be stolen but someone would have to show up with some good power tools to cut thru everything. It would take them some time to get it off. The average WalMart parking lot thief probably won't be able to get it.

I intend to fashion a tent fly type cover for when I need to run it in the rain. I'm planning to have a rectangular fly of waterproof material made. I'll connect 2 corners to the front of the TT. The other 2 corners I'll connect to some fiberglass tent poles under tension to keep the fly taut. I figure if I position the fly 12"-18" above the generator and angle it down in the front the rain will run off but good air circulation will still be maintained.

I mostly have the generator so I can run the A/C when we go in somewhere like a museum or something for a few hours while on the road. We have a dog and of course we have to keep her cool when it's hot out. When it's raining it's usually cool enough to not worry about it so the tent fly cover is fairly low on my project list right now.
This! Very creative, glad you don't mind me copying this idea for myself before its patented

"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
I sold my Honda 2000 for $850 on craigslist. My buddy had bought the Champion and we tested the noise side by side. Then we used his to see if my 15k AC would turn on. When it did, I knew I had to sell the Honda and get the Champion. It was on sale at Costco for $699 and it goes on sale every three months or so from what I can see. Great upgrade in my opinion. Best part is I bought my Honda for $899 on sale and used it for a year - not much, but it only cost me $49 for the year. Also, since I bought it at Costco, if I ever have a problem, I can return it for a full refund.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ues-26503.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...0-a-29955.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...tor-28275.html

So lemmy get this straight... you sold your Honda to get the Champion? And it really did start the 15k A/C?

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
This! Very creative, glad you don't mind me copying this idea for myself before its patented
Sounds good. I went one step further and alarmed mine. I got a car horn from the junk yard cheap and made a 12 volt latching system and ran the wire through the handles along with the cable. I placed a plug on the back of the trailer and placed the horn, latching relay and switch to disable it when not needed in the storage compartment. When I tested it it really made a heck of a racket.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
So lemmy get this straight... you sold your Honda to get the Champion? And it really did start the 15k A/C?
That is correct. We ran the Honda and champion side by side (about 6-10ft apart) and the sound level was nearly identical. Then we went to my trailer and connected the champion and turned on all of my lights and then my 15k AC. It came on without a problem. I live in AZ just outside of Phoenix and it was pretty hot that day. We tried to run the microwave with all the other stuff, but it was glitchy, so that was over the champions limit. My buddy has a 13.5k AC and ran the same test, and he is able to run his microwave with the champion. I know I tried to start my AC with the Honda and it just laughed at me while tripping the circuit breaker. I tried to just have a couple lights on and run the microwave with the Honda and it was 50/50 on tripping the circuit breaker. I actually bought the champion the next day and sold the Honda a day after it arrived via Craigslist.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
I assume he sold his Honda 2000 and bought a Champion 3100. 50% more power should run the A/C. My Honda eu3000is runs my 15K A/C, converter and HWH all at the same time.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
Sounds good. I went one step further and alarmed mine. I got a car horn from the junk yard cheap and made a 12 volt latching system and ran the wire through the handles along with the cable. I placed a plug on the back of the trailer and placed the horn, latching relay and switch to disable it when not needed in the storage compartment. When I tested it it really made a heck of a racket.
I like the alarm idea. I have the stuff to do that in the shop. Just need to put it together.

I had another idea for running an A frame mounted generator in the rain. You know how TTs with a front window have a fiberglass cover that tilts out when camped? Just mount one of those on the front and tilt it out over the top of the generator. Instant generator shed.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I assume he sold his Honda 2000 and bought a Champion 3100. 50% more power should run the A/C. My Honda eu3000is runs my 15K A/C, converter and HWH all at the same time.
That is correct

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote