Put my name in for the waiting list at the start of the summer, got a call last week and went for the site draw on Sunday. 15th on the list for 30 available sites and due to a number of no shows (and the ability to use a smaller site) we got our first choice.
We were always the traveling type but work and family make that tough and last minute camping around here usually ends in "sorry, full this weekend".
It's an hour from our house and on a lake surrounded by mountains (or big hills depending on where you're from) and our site is about a hundred yards from the beach.
I think the ability to go there on a moments notice will make the cost worthwhile. Only downside is I have to wait to next April for the season to start.