Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #11

I'm pretty na´ve about 6-V batteries, so I called Batteries + to get their expertise. They're of the opinion that 6-volters (hooked up in series) will last a bit longer than 1 12V deep cycle battery. Sooo .. given that you already have a (some?) deep cycle battery(ies?), that (those?) should last you more than enough time to complete your dry camping trip without the necessity of running the genset (although I'd certainly recommend taking it along - just in case). The foregoing assumes: 1-you use one battery at a time until it is discharged, then switch to the second, then switch to the 2 6-volters (again hooked in series); 2-that ALL batteries are fully charged at the outset of your trip; and 3-you use the electric power judiciously - not miserly, just carefully. Do the Forum a favor - give us some feedback upon your return; it would help if we could live through you vicariously!

JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #12

I think with two 6volt batteries you should be able to last 5 days of boondocking unless it is cold and your furnace is running a lot. (I'm guessing it won't be based on your location though)
Considering you are boondocking and won't have restricted generator run times I would wait until day three and run it for 4-5 hours and see what level you are at then.

Keep in mind to only check voltage levels when there is no draw (or charge) on the batteries. Voltage is not really a good way to check your battery level. One of my favorite mods was to install a proper gauge.

TriMetric Model Descriptions, Present and Past - Bogart Engineering

Then you can stop guessing when to charge and how much power you have left.

Cheers

Old 10-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #13

Not sure why a Honda 2000 will only give a minimal charge to a battery. It is after all producing normal AC power. Plug in your camper to the generator and let the onboard converter do its thing. If you're concerned connect a separate charger directly to the battery. You should be able to maintain a full charge with no more than 3 hours of run time in the am and again in the evening.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #14

Like Mike837 we boondock ALOT! Also piggy backing with Jeff1963.
Two good quality batteries and judicious power discipline can stretch usage time on battery a long way. We camp/hunt periodically for extended periods, sometimes in temps well below freezing.
In fact, myself and two close friends just completed a 7 day hunt in the back country and were exclusively on battery power. (We couldn't get the generator started and we did not plug into the tow vehicle.) Many days, the temps were down below 30 degrees. Yet, for 7 days, the batteries never went below 2/3rd. We would turn on the water heater in the morning (on gas) and let it run till cut itself off and shut the switch off. we would turn it back on while we ate dinner. We would only turn on the water pump when we were actively running water. For heat, we would use a Mr. Buddy heater inside. We religiously used our battery headlamps outside, and once we came in for the night we only lit one light in the trailer. On one of the rainy nights we used a colemen propane lantern inside. This both lit up the inside and provided lots of heat.

I have two 12VDC deep cycle batteries wired in parallel. When they go, I will be replacing them with two high quality high amp hour 6VDC batteries wired in series. I did this on my old 5er, and the 6s do last longer.
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Not sure why a Honda 2000 will only give a minimal charge to a battery. It is after all producing normal AC power. Plug in your camper to the generator and let the onboard converter do its thing. If you're concerned connect a separate charger directly to the battery. You should be able to maintain a full charge with no more than 3 hours of run time in the am and again in the evening.
I agree with you. If you read my previous post, I have a genset, only a small 1000 watt, but this year on the hunt, for some reason we were unable to get it started (flooded it and fouled the plug, thought I did not have a spark plug wrench). However, I have been on extended boondocking trips and even with a 1000 watt generator, running it an average of 2-3 hours in the morning, and the same at night, kept the batteries topped off just fine (just plugging the trailer in and letting the converter do its job).

Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is online now   Reply With Quote