Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
We`ve kept ours outside for 6 seasons in harsh Montreal winters, hasn`t affected anything at all, including decals.

phemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Jayco recommends covering the trailer in their manual. An air conditioners manufacturers rep told me that a cover that "doesn't breathe properly" is worse than none at all. I think a QUALITY cover is a good idea, because it offers "some" protection. The true test is probably time.

I don't cover mine. (Ohio winters can be cold and wet - although not what you're used to.) I hope that by taking excellent care of the trailer, it will last.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Hi Lady,

I am in Winnipeg too. I am going to get indoor unheated storage. I think I get it for around 125 per month. With a new trailer it is worth it to me . . . at least for the first couple of years.

I will confirm a price over the next couple of weeks and can pm you if you want.
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Our family has not had any mice issues when we have ensured the TT is clean. My brother has had mouse issues, but he is not so good about cleaning out his trailer. He also parks the popup at his sister in laws cabin outside. We do remove ALL food products, scrub the shelves, floors, sinks, counters, everything. My dad and I, we also caulk all the holes in the bottom of the TT. Never had a mouse and I do not plan on changing that record!
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
Lady W, I have looked at a few winter storage options. The dealer near me charges $50/mth for outdoor storage. The Fairgrounds charges about $350 for indoor the winter storage, they tell you when to drop it off and pick it up, no choice on dates and times. A coworker, if I recall correctly charges about $25/mth in his barn, but the TT does not fit, through his door. This barn our family has been using for about 15 years now charges $80/winter. This is a machine shed barn. My TT gets its own door; all the smaller items (boats, popups, cars) go between the bigger trailer. If someone wants their smaller unit, the farmer does move the TT to get to smaller units. I am fine with that, we have never had any issues. To get this deal I do travel about 100 miles from my place, which is about 5 miles from my parents. So it is not a bad deal for us.

Good luck
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Much like you I am faced with all kinds of temperature extremes in the winter and as much as I like the idea of using a trailer cover in the winter I also have to be mindful of the near hurricane force winds we get living next to the mountains. I really don't like the idea of looking out and seeing the trailer cover acting like a sail and finding my trailer 3 houses away! To be serious I just am not entirely sold on those covers not being affected by the wind and doing more damage to the exterior than good.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
33 Nights Camping so far in 2016
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
The barn idea is promising... Do you have any problems with mice in the barn?
We remove all the food and use Pepermint Oil on cottonballs as well as bounce dryer sheets in all the drawers and cubbies. My wife read that somewhere, and it seems to work. We stored our pop-up outside for many years and never had a mouse problem. We will do the same with our x17z when it is time to close her up for the winter.

Our neighbor's cats keep patrolling our yard, so that might help as well. :hihi:

Allamuchy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote