Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Cupboard above dinette broke apart while traveling

just wanted to give a heads up to others who may have organized their dish cupboard like we did. We installed a white wire rack to hold more dishes in the
cupboard above our dinette. On the rack we placed medium seized porcelain bowl that must have rattled against the door enough to break it apart. The door split apart just a inch from the hinges. I noticed that the assembly of the door was made by using just one small dot of glue in each corner where the other parts of the door frame came together. You may want to place your heavier stuff
in another area.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

Did it break apart or just come apart. With a little luck it just came apart and you can do the correct assembly and no one will ever know.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

The first door that came apart at a joint was replaced under warranty. By the time the second one came apart, our warranty was up. There was no noticeable glue in the joint, which I think was held together for a while by a staple through the joint. I injected Titebond glue into the joint and then clamped it. One of those syringes used to inject liquid flavoring into meats makes a good tool to inject glue into tight areas.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:04 AM   #4

Had a friend with a rear kitchen coming up interstate 75 from Florida to Michigan when they got home all the rear cupboards were on the floor along with broken glass and China everywhere . First of all the cabinets were only stapled and the wife really loaded them down with heavy dishes and glass. I am a firm believer that lighter is better especially if you put a lot of miles on towing . Glued and screwed properly should make things better than it was originally built .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #5

Even though we camp in luxury, we still only use plastic cups/plates/wine glasses/etc for that reason. Plus it makes it feel more like camping, too. All of our heavy cooking items go under the dinette seats on the floor to help keep the C of G lower as well.

If you haven't already done so, line your cupboards and drawers with the rubber mesh matting. It really helps to keep things from moving.