Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #1

Discount vs freebies

In the beginnings of negotiations with my local dealer for our first purchase. The have offered to "give" me the following in my trailer deal:

1000# equalizer hitch-$805 value
Voyager 9030 brake controller-$100 value

The "value" is added by the dealer and are not listed with the financing area of the trailer. I specifically asked if there would be a labor charge added for the installation of the hitch and controller and the salesman told me no. Are these accurate values for these items?

My question is, since that's about $900 in goods, they don't seem that interested in coming much off their first off of the trailer which is about 20% off MSRP. I'm thinking this is like taking $900 off the price also, so I might not get to the target of 30% off sticker price. Still waiting on their counter offer, so we will see.

Thanks
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #2

You have to remember, that is what they would have charged. Not what they paid for the actual items. When we purchased ours, they said that with any purchase our hitch would be 1/2 price at $230.00. I went online and found the hitch for about the same price, which meant they were going to give it to me at their cost. Sure they didn't make anything on it, but sure made it look like I was getting a really good deal. And your are right, during the negotiations they made it sound like since I was already getting a discount that they couldn't lower the trailer much more. I didn't find out the price of the hitch until after we made the purchase and I went online just to see how much it was really worth.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
You have to remember, that is what they would have charged. Not what they paid for the actual items. When we purchased ours, they said that with any purchase our hitch would be 1/2 price at $230.00. I went online and found the hitch for about the same price, which meant they were going to give it to me at their cost. Sure they didn't make anything on it, but sure made it look like I was getting a really good deal. And your are right, during the negotiations they made it sound like since I was already getting a discount that they couldn't lower the trailer much more. I didn't find out the price of the hitch until after we made the purchase and I went online just to see how much it was really worth.
I had the EXACT same experience. They said "we'll throw in the hitch for $XX, it normally cost $YY". I took the deal and later found out I could've bought the hitch from etrailer.com for what they called a "discounted" price. But they installed it and set it up for me, so I didn't complain. Even though they set it up completely wrong and I had to go back and redo it. I would've redone it anyway to adjust for loaded conditions, so again, I didn't complain...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #4

You don't say what you are trying to buy. It's important because the higher-cost more feature rich TT have more margin dollars than lower cost less less feature travel trailers. It's the gross profit dollars that matter to dealers, not so much gross margin %. It takes actual dollars to keep the lights on and staff paid.

I point this out because we throw around 30% as the target off MSRP but that isn't always possible.

I'm not saying 20% off + Equal-I-Zer WD hitch & break controller is a good deal but it could be.

I agree with the previous posts that although retail cost of the freebies is "X" that is not what the deal pays for them.

I would also insist that the break controller is a Prodidgy P2 or P3. I don't know the one you mentioned, but I am familiar with the P2 and P3 which are great units.

For what it's worth my first TT was a 26BH fully optioned and the best I could do was MSRP + Delivery less 25% and a Husky CenterLine hitch -- similar to Equal-I-Zer. I probably left a couple hundred $ on the table but I was satisfied.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. My trailer of choice is a Jay Flight Swift 267BHS. Hope this helps. They just called back and didn't come down any on their price.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Not all dealers will give you the 30% off MSRP. One that I tried only came down 10% and would not go any lower, the salesman telling me "They are selling like hotcakes at that price". Keep in mind this was 2009 and the midst of the financial crisis. Did not bother that salesman for anymore of hie precious time.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #7

Thanks for the information. I'm just seeing what's out there now.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Not all dealers will give you the 30% off MSRP. One that I tried only came down 10% and would not go any lower, the salesman telling me "They are selling like hotcakes at that price". Keep in mind this was 2009 and the midst of the financial crisis. Did not bother that salesman for anymore of hie precious time.
X2

Dealers with low volume and high overhead / operating costs cannot give you 30% off.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #9

I just purchased from a dealer in Illinois. I paid $1,000 for parts & installation of electric brake controller, weight distribution hitch and anti-sway control. It sounds like an accurate value quoted.
BrianGVLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #10

Since you know the specific unit you want. I would build your unit on RVdirect.com and see what they quote. That's where I started with both my Jayco's and then shopped from there.

The hitch you can treat as a separate deal so you know what your target is on the unit. Agree that low volume ='s higher retail in most cases, but service is something that should be weighed too. I chose service this time around and paid a little more, but when I have an issue it's fixed ASAP. If I was full timing I would throw that out and get the best deal as you will not be close to the selling dealer for repairs in most cases.

Also I would upgrade to a Prodigy 2 or 3 brake controller. They are plug and play for about $120.00-$140.00 with the harness for your specific TV and a much better controller.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #11

Thanks for the information. I did check rv direct at the beginning of my search. Their website says that my model is being discontinues and I must choose from dealer stock. And the units listed, don't have the options the unit I'm looking at does. And my family likes the options of the local unit.

This dealer does have a good reputation for service and I know several campers who have bought and been serviced by this dealer. And the dealers advertised prices are better than other Jayco dealers in my driving area.

I will inquire about going w/ the prodigy controller though.

Thanks again for the input. I hope to have this deal closed soon.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #12

I see a lot of people talk about RV Direct. I received a quote from them....for $2K MORE than I'm buying my White Hawk for from my local dealer. Plus they wanted to tack on $1,000 for shipping yet too. RV Direct isn't always the cheapest.
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Loveless View Post
I see a lot of people talk about RV Direct. I received a quote from them....for $2K MORE than I'm buying my White Hawk for from my local dealer. Plus they wanted to tack on $1,000 for shipping yet too. RV Direct isn't always the cheapest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
Thanks for the information. I did check rv direct at the beginning of my search. Their website says that my model is being discontinues and I must choose from dealer stock. And the units listed, don't have the options the unit I'm looking at does. And my family likes the options of the local unit.

This dealer does have a good reputation for service and I know several campers who have bought and been serviced by this dealer. And the dealers advertised prices are better than other Jayco dealers in my driving area.

I will inquire about going w/ the prodigy controller though.

Thanks again for the input. I hope to have this deal closed soon.
In your case it sounds like it's perfect for you and there is a price for that, one that dollars can't be put on. If your happy and it suits your needs then pull the trigger. You don't want to miss it based on a few hundred bucks.

As for the RV direct pricing, agreed that they may not be the best all the time, but on avg they are a good barometer that is painless to obtain IMHO. I think it depends on the unit and location your in. In both cases RVD was significantly less than any dealer within 200 miles of me. Then again we pay for "everything" here in the NE. Just once I want to walk into a dealer, car or RV and see a great deal without the haggling.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #14

I would definitely hold out for a P3. I had a Voyager on my old truck, and I can tell you there is a night and day difference between the two. Even if you have to pay $60.00 in the price difference, it's well worth it.