Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Luan as referred to in the building industry is a form of plywood made from any number of tropical species generally referred to as Philippine mahogany. However that material sold in North America generally is not a mahogany at all but a different mixture of woods from the genus Shorea. Simply put it is like saying “Hardwood” it could be one of a number of woods. Like any plywood product there is a wide range of qualities and characteristics from Marine Grade (Water Proof with no structural defects) to the stuff in big box stores selling for $4.00 per sheet. Much of the quality depends upon the type of adhesive used and the number of plys. Luan has tremendous strength to weight ratios and with the right adhesive is not anymore subject to delaminating than cabinet quality plywood. For those reasons, Luan is often used in boat building. Bottom line is that Luan can be a top quality product with superior qualities (strength to weight ratios) not found in other materials. Sorry for the long post, but the old wood technology professor came out in me. Hope this helped clear up some issues about the use of Luan products in RVs.

hausknwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Did he say they would build 32 of those today at the end of the vid? It makes me wonder, how much they slowed down because the camera was there filming. That would make what, one coming off the line every 45 minutes. I am sure they do more than 1 at a time, but that building did not look big enough to put out that kind of numbers. I am curious if they have more than one building putting out the same model all the time.

MrKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beerholder :hihi:
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3/ 3.73 Tekonsha Primus brake controller
2011 JayFeather Select 29L
Husky Centerline WDH
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #14
Originally Posted by JAMMFAM View Post
Sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beerholder :hihi:
hausknwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
The panel construction technique was pioneered by Winnebago and they dubbed it Thermo-panel construction. It revolutionized the RV industry and greatly lowered costs.
2010 Jayco 17Z
99 Ford E-350 Chateau Super Duty V-10

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
Thanks all for your comments. I admit there's a lot I have to learn about RV's and the industry in general.

But while the marine industry may use luan, is it the same stuff they use in RV's?
2013 Jayco Jay Feather X23B
2014 Ford Expedition
Horst Miracle Probes
Barker Power Jack
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
Site Team
While delamination is a constant issue that keeps coming up on other forums, it really seems that while problems have been reported, there do not seem to be a huge number of delamination complaints on this forum. Some of course, but not that many. So yes Luan and other materials are used, but the Jayco vacuum bond system must be holding up fairly well. Of course the aluminum sided units do not have this issue, but ALL RV`s need to have their seals/sealants maintained to keep out water. I believe if you are vigilant in your regular maintanance, more then likely the luan question will be a moot point.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote