Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
Good Idea/Bad Idea?

I'm still pretty new to the TT game. We're planning a fairly long (for us) trip with our new 23RLSW - it's 2 days to our destination, so we're planning a one-night intermediate stop. Here's my question: Should I take the time to do full hookups at the intermediate stop? Or should I just start out with a full fresh water tank and do minimal hookups (electricity only), and then hit the dump station on the way out the next morning?

Doing minimal hookups, so that setup isn't much more than leveling, is a tempting idea. It will be in early June, so there will be plenty of daylight left when we get to the intermediate CG.

Thoughts? Pros and cons?

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
I would haul my water, get Elec only site (or nothing if just one night) and if my final destination has full hookups I would skip the dump station on my way out in the morning. The drive will recharge any little battery use I have the night before and I can dump when ready at my final full hook up site.

2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
There is not a great answer way to many variables, if an electric only site is available that is a good way to keep your costs down. Depending on your final destination and what services you have there I might only start out with half a tank of fresh water and not even bother with dumping the tanks. That said many times I have paid for full hook ups because they were much nicer sites. It really does not take much time to do a full hook up or tear down.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Have you ever tried boondocking at a Walmart? It has worked out well for me in the past, my wife and I just take a "bird bath" in the morning. Just make sure to ask the manager beforehand and pick a spot in the parking lot without alot of traffic.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
Just be mindful of your overall weight limits. A full tank of water can easily weigh 7 or 8 hundred pounds alone on some Jayco's.

You can hit your max cargo weight pretty quick that way if you are unaware of these limits.
2016 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS = "Madame Maxime"
Maxxis M8008 E rated Tires and 16" Wheel Upgrade
Dual A/C 15K BTU, 14K Equalizer WD hitch with SC
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:44 PM   #6
We tend to run light. I have water jug I carry with a few gallons of water in it. While passing through, we have stayed in electric only sites, and sometimes in Walmart parking lots. Personally if it's just an over night stop I like a Walmart lot.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:30 AM   #7
If you are literally just stopping to sleep, I wouldn't even unhook and level. If it's a site that has hookups, take advantage of their power and city water. I rarely carry water because it's too heavy. Walmart is a good, free option if it's just to sleep
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #8
Site Team
Agree, there are to many variables to make a firm decision. It's a judgement call on the skipper( another nautical term) , which is you.

My preference is based on my circumstances. With that scenario, my wife wants power and water, and that drives my decision. If my tank is less than half full and my next stop has sewer, I just keep rolling the next day.

Important thing is have a check list for leaving and don't forget anything. Sometimes that is hard to do when you have a regular routine and for some reason don't follow it.

Above all, Have fun!
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #9
For just an overnight I agree with what seems the consensus, less is better. We've never done a w-mart overnight but it does seem like a good choice.
We personally like to have electricity and maybe the CG water but the sewer can wait for the next stop (bird-bath good enough for a day in the TV). I usually have a little water in the tank while travelling for flushing when the TT is more convenient (attractive) than a truck or roadside stop. We need the bedroom slide out for better bed access but the other two can stay retracted for just an overnight. As long as we are reasonably level I don't bother with the landing gear or stabilizers.
A side bene to a w-mart would be easy access to a quick breakfast (McD).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:06 AM   #10
Leveling should remain important. You don't want to operate the refrigerator off level for 8 - 12 hours while you are over-nighting it.

For an overnight stop over en route I usually have a few gallons in the fresh water tank. I get level but I don't unhook from the TV. I don't hookup water or drop the stabilizers. I will hookup electric. Keep it as simple as possible.

Chuck - Sparta, TN
2012 Jay Flight 22FB, 2 x Honda EU2000i
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote